Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Where are some of the places that you buy your supplies?

I will say, being an urban witch makes it hard to make your own supplies. My kitchen is the size of most people's bathrooms, so aside from tinctures and potions I mostly buy. So I tend to get creative when shopping.

Candles & Incense: I'll buy candles from anywhere: grocery store, Kmart, Walmart, magick stores, but I find Chinatown to be awesome for cheap stuff! Candles, incense and even sandalwood soaps, bulk for dollars. Likewise for incense. I'm personally a fan of Japanese incense sticks, and I can get those at a variety of stores for about $2.

Oils: Oddly enough, Whole Foods. They have great selections, and the prices are pretty decent. There's also a store in NYC called Enfleurage, which has a ton of EOs.

Quote Originally Posted by lightdragon View Post
    herbs-everywhere. some places are flower power in NYC. pagan and Ren faires.online stores such as Capricorn's lair and 13Moons. Panpipes magickal Marketplace.
    Herbs: I love Flower Power! They're so awesome. And their prices are often much better than Enchantments. That said, I bounce back and forth between the two for herbs as often one store will have what the other doesn't. I'm also a fan of Mountain Rose Herbs, they have great prices for 4oz packages.

Stones: I have a pretty decent supply that I've built up over the years, but there is a good store (Astro on Madison and 34th) near me, and you can usually haggle prices.

Books: Amazon.com, used, always.
    Last edited by Quantum Witch; November 15th, 2010 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quantum Witch View Post
    Herbs: I love Flower Power! They're so awesome. And their prices are often much better than Enchantments. That said, I bounce back and forth between the two for herbs as often one store will have what the other doesn't. I'm also a fan of Mountain Rose Herbs, they have great prices for 4oz packages.
    oh yeah. and the workers are much less stressed out. very friendly. in fact when i was at Enchantments and they were out of stock with one herb one guy there told me to go to Flower Power. i rarely use herbs. what i run out of is incense. And enchantments would stop making Sabbat incense , it would be the last minute or so few that it would sell out it in a few hours. So last time I went there i went to order in advance and Stacy gave me the third degree on why i wanted so early. So i order from Panpipes and it lasts much longer than Enchantments stuff. Gotta check out MRH.

Stones: I have a pretty decent supply that I've built up over the years, but there is a good store (Astro on Madison and 34th) near me, and you can usually haggle prices.

Books: Amazon.com, used, always.
    i know of the place. only bought a few polished stones from there. They are usually high in price because of the rent. I believe they have two floors. And i believe at one time they were selling a replicia T-Rex skull. and some real bixbyite for $75USD. guy was willing to come down to $69. Some of the displays there are Museum grade as well as some pieces.
    MYSTIC WICKS Needs your help!Please donate or subscribe!

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

oh yeah. and the workers are much less stressed out. very friendly. ... Stacy gave me the third degree on why i wanted so early.

i know of the place. only bought a few polished stones from there. They are usually high in price because of the rent. I believe they have two floors. And i believe at one time they were selling a replicia T-Rex skull. and some real bixbyite for $75USD. guy was willing to come down to $69. Some of the displays there are Museum grade as well as some pieces.
    I do like some of the people at Enchantments though. If you can get them on their own, and just sit and chat, they can be really fun. When they get a ton of shoppers, they lose their patience. Is Stacy the blonde? Whomever she is, she is super nice. Helps me out every time and we always have interesting convos.

As for Astro, their more beautiful pieces are outrageous, but I seem to get lucky here. When I go through their individual stone displays, the checkout guys will just eyeball it and give me a total off the cuff. Generally it less if you pay in cash too.

Another good place to look, is Quest Bookshop. Aside from books, if you're not looking for a particular stone, they have a limited selection, but generally super cheap. I got a beautiful, flat triangle moonstone for a dollar. One buck! A lot of their small tumbled stones are roughly the same price. I whole-heartedly recommend them.

I do like some of the people at Enchantments though. If you can get them on their own, and just sit and chat, they can be really fun. When they get a ton of shoppers, they lose their patience. Is Stacy the blonde? Whomever she is, she is super nice. Helps me out every time and we always have interesting convos.
    i would agree with you like 4 or 5 years ago. when Joe worked there. Stacy is the owner. She is around 5'10 or 5'9" short blonde hair(sometimes other colors)wears glasses and has a lot of tattoos. she took it over in 2003 or 2004.

With me it's usually the opposite. if they are alone with me they really go off it. thought it was me until i went to FP or even Charmed By Star when it was offline.

Another good place to look, is Quest Bookshop. Aside from books, if you're not looking for a particular stone, they have a limited selection, but generally super cheap. I got a beautiful, flat triangle moonstone for a dollar. One buck! A lot of their small tumbled stones are roughly the same price. I whole-heartedly recommend them.
    not familar with that one. I know East-Westliving bookstore closed last june.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

i would agree with you like 4 or 5 years ago. when Joe worked there. Stacy is the owner. She is around 5'10 or 5'9" short blonde hair(sometimes other colors)wears glasses and has a lot of tattoos. she took it over in 2003 or 2004.
    Stacy's not who I'm think of then. I know Ricky, and he's super fun, if a little shy. There's another blonde girl, with a ponytail, and she owns four cats, haha. Maybe Kathy? Can't quite remember....

I personally don't go in too often, mostly I'm in and out. But before Samhain I went in and spent two hours! Time just slipped by, Ricky, I'm going to call her Kathy, another regular and I were talking. It was actually the best experience I'd ever had in there.

But I definitely suggest Quest Bookstore. They're a little more esoteric than pagan, but they have great books on pretty much any subject you could think of. They also have classes and workshops and things.

I haven't been buying supplies for very long, but I've bought a few things from Pyramid Collection, Azure Green, 13 Moons, and even Amazon. There aren't many local stores that sell Pagan-related items, at least that I've found. All my books I've gotten from Barnes and Noble, though.

Stacy's not who I'm think of then. I know Ricky, and he's super fun, if a little shy. There's another blonde girl, with a ponytail, and she owns four cats, haha. Maybe Kathy? Can't quite remember....

I personally don't go in too often, mostly I'm in and out. But before Samhain I went in and spent two hours! Time just slipped by, Ricky, I'm going to call her Kathy, another regular and I were talking. It was actually the best experience I'd ever had in there.
    maybe it changed. as i haven't been there since mabon of 2008. the workers only stay about2 or 3 years max. was this "kathy" real tall and thin like 5'11" or 6 ft.

But I definitely suggest Quest Bookstore. They're a little more esoteric than pagan, but they have great books on pretty much any subject you could think of. They also have classes and workshops and things.
    seems like a nice place. There's another place on the west side called Stick,Stone and Bone 111 Christopher st, a limited addition on books but a lot of crystals and shamanistic stuff and some new agey stuff as well.

maybe it changed. as i haven't been there since mabon of 2008. the workers only stay about2 or 3 years max. was this "kathy" real tall and thin like 5'11" or 6 ft.
    Yes. Platinum blonde hair too. I would have to say that I've had not-so-great experiences there too. I first started going over 5 years ago, on and off, never at regular status, but lately when I've only had good experiences. I've never met Stacy though, and I know some people have issue with her.

Stick Stone and Bone is cool. I've only been there once, but their selection of stone was amazing. I've got to say, though, I'm a bit disappointed that there is one catch-all store in NYC. I don't mind, I like specialty stores, but sometimes I wish I didn't need to traipse all over Manhattan just to get stocked up.

Yes. Platinum blonde hair too. I would have to say that I've had not-so-great experiences there too. I first started going over 5 years ago, on and off, never at regular status, but lately when I've only had good experiences. I've never met Stacy though, and I know some people have issue with her.
    I started to go there about 6 years ago or so. it was recommended by Morgana of Morgana's chamber which went out about 5 yrs ago.
    i know Joe had fights with Stacy. And when he left, the Grove died. The grove was a 15 week training course. and about two girls in there called Stacy a bitch. One thing i know was everytime i went in there, they kept calling out Stacy. and she was constantly leaving the store when ever i came in. the only time she stayed briefly was when she grilled me. I per say never had a problem with her. last i was in there there almost out of all the herbs , it looked like they were ready to close.

Stick Stone and Bone is cool. I've only been there once, but their selection of stone was amazing. I've got to say, though, I'm a bit disappointed that there is one catch-all store in NYC. I don't mind, I like specialty stores, but sometimes I wish I didn't need to traipse all over Manhattan just to get stocked up.
    Did that years ago. was very tiring. one of the reasons i mostly now order online. but then again i do not need as much stuff as i did years ago.

I tend to buy a lot from ebay, incense, herbs and the like -- I get some herbs from my garden but some are too difficult to grow. I buy candles from everywhere; I can usually pick them up very cheaply in supermarkets. I buy crystals from random eclectic shops when I see them. When it comes to Tarot decks, they're either given to me or I buy them from amazon.

I can see from this that I'm a fan of online shopping!
    Everything is right for me, which is right for you, O Universe.
    Nothing for me is too early or too late, which comes in due time for you.
    Everything is fruit to me which your seasons bring, O Nature.
    From you are all things, in you are all things, to you all things return.

Marcus Aurelius

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast