Thread: Trouble Meditating for a while now

Trouble Meditating for a while now

Hello Wick-ers =)

It has come to my attention that I'm probably a fool for not asking this nook of MW sooner about this but I've had trouble explaining it before to others so i've been hesitant.

Probably since i was 22 to 23 (I'm 28 now) I've had serious issues with being able to meditate. From high school (maybe about 16yo) until my 20s I was able to easily focus, calm myself down and find a relaxing place in my own brain to work things out, focus on a particular metaphysical issue, or just let the world slip away for a while. I could go anywhere from a scant 20 to 30 minutes to an hour or longer.

Now, everytime I attempt to concentrate, go thru my steps and get to a state of meditation, a very bleak though crashes head long into my head. I will say for the general purposes of my request for help that the though involves death and dying but I really dont wish to go further into detail than that. Once this happens though my concentration is shot and if i try again i just have this little purgatory of a though looming over me.

The only way I've found around it is thru music, but it's not something that I prefer and it doesnt always work to resolve the issue. Has anyone else had a similar situation (be it a similar mental block or meditation suddenly dead-panning on you) and were you able to overcome it? If you were can you maybe share what helped you get over that hurdle and did you face any thereafter.

Thank you in advance. ^_^
    PhoenixRevival

"I have infinite patience... It's tolerance I lack".

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have trouble meditating all the time. One thing i really can't do is clear my head and make it a complete blank.

Something that helped me was doing guided meditations with a group. If you don't have access to any groups then maybe you can download a guided meditation and try walk thru that.

It also helps to fully relax before you meditate. A long bath or shower, a cup of tea, a bit of incense and/or scented candles, your phone off or at least on silent, etc - all help with getting into the right state of mind to meditate.

In a world so fast and active where every second of our life counts, it is really very hard to find the space where you can just relax, so good luck

~ Blog: Kitten of Discord ~ Twitter: @DiscordianKitty ~

"Demons have existed [...] for at least as long as the gods, who in many ways they closely resemble.
    The difference is basically the same as that between terrorists and freedom fighters." Terry Pratchett, Eric

Respect is earned. So is disrespect.

Thank you for the reply. I've never tried guided med but that mostly due to lack of a group to do said guided med with. Always been kinda solo so perhaps that download idea might work well. ^_^
    PhoenixRevival

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

i have a difficult time focusing during meditation as well -- my job involves a high level of intense focus, so my mind just loves to jump around like crazy when i'm not at work. i sometimes use music also, but i have to use it in a particular way: there are only a two songs so far that really resonate with and encourage my meditation, so i made one cd for each song repeated over and over. i actually found this to be really helpful, because i can kind of train my mind to react to those two songs. sometimes even thinking about one of them for a few minutes gets me relaxed and focused enough to start meditating.

bloodkitten brought up bathing, drinking tea, lighting candles, and turning your phone off -- totally agree that these are useful. sometimes little rituals make all the difference.

best of luck with this -- i'll be trying to do better with it, too. =)

Have you ever considered following the thought to find out where it stems from -- basically using that unpleasant thought as the subject for your meditation?

I've found sometimes that meditation can arouse unpleasant thoughts or feelings which either need to be understood or pushed through in order to reach a greater state of calm. This may be what's going on with your particular recurring thought, since it doesn't appear to be going away.

If that's too frightening to do on your own, maybe talking to a counsellor about it might help you break that thought down to it's component parts.

Quote Originally Posted by onyxkatze View Post
    i sometimes use music also, but i have to use it in a particular way

bloodkitten brought up bathing, drinking tea, lighting candles, and turning your phone off -- totally agree that these are useful. sometimes little rituals make all the difference.

best of luck with this -- i'll be trying to do better with it, too. =)
    Onyxkatze: Thanks for the reply. Music in my meditation usually ends up distracting me as i know the lyrics or even the beat of the song which leads to me mentally singing/beating along with it so i can understand where you're coming from there.

As for the ritual of calming down, going thru the motions pre-meditiation... honestly i wish there were more hours in the day ^_^ I might just have to set aside the time.

Vudo: I have indeed tried to focus on the troubling thoughts and feelings this brings up before and it took me a while to build up the courage to do so. It didnt really go well. Existing in oblivion in your own head is something I wouldnt wish on my worst enemy.

As to a counselor, it's a good idea but it's kind of difficult to find someone both qualified to speak with and attuned with similar spiritual beliefs. My fear is speaking with someone who, though profesional, will allow their spiritual beliefs to supercede otherwise good advice.

Issues right? heh Thank you both for your posts. =)
    PhoenixRevival

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

maybe you could try focusing on a candle for 10 minutes (a lit candle I mean), and then slowly close your eyes to continue visualising the flame

This is a method I use to visualise, so it might help your meditation sessions as well.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixRevival View Post
    Thank you for the reply. I've never tried guided med but that mostly due to lack of a group to do said guided med with. Always been kinda solo so perhaps that download idea might work well. ^_^

Hello, first I must ask if that is a snake you are kissing in your avatar. If so, that is too adorable.

Secondly, I would suggest unwinding before you meditate, or perhaps meditate the second you awake. Early morning meditations are the best, as opposed to experiencing the day and having those memories fresh in your mind.

-Amber-

Erm, so... Update!

-Amber- To answer your question... Yes, that is my Ghost Corn Breman though that was taken about 2+ years ago... so, he is far larger now.

Ok so after doing quite a bit of searching I've found that music that is too busy with too much synth/sounds/etc is effectively a brick wall for meditation purposes... I get nowhere. BUT! I have found that repetitive chanting, drums, and similar music works like a charm! I even found a track I use to listen to when i was 12-13ish and first started to teach myself how to meditate... which is a gods-send. (O Great Spirit. Hard to find, about 30 minutes of meditative bliss)

On a completely seperate note... and somewhat very off topic. Why is it so difficult to find Native American drums and singing tracts that aren't just Drums...and... Singing?! Just frustrating
    PhoenixRevival

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]