Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What's your top 10 most used oils?

Well ive taken on what a lot of people have said and i think i now have a very thorough base of oils to use for almost everything i can think of.

Now i have a slightly related question, which i will now ask.

I have managed to get hold of some Dragons Blood resin and wish to make some oil using it, as no shops near me can get it in stock. So i was wondering what i can do to make the oil, im also hoping that i will have some resin left over as willowtree has asked for some to use aswell. Recycling at its best

So if anyone can help with how to make the oil using it i would greatly appreciate it.
    -- Ghosted by Crystal Willowtree --

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

May I ask where you all purchase these oils? Is it somewhere online?

Quote Originally Posted by EavanStar View Post
    May I ask where you all purchase these oils? Is it somewhere online?
    My oils come from a few different sources. Most of my essential oils I can buy at Whole Foods or the Co-op in town; some are also from the herb shop we have. I have a few I order online (often I can find better prices on eBay and such) and there are a couple types I can even get at the drugstore.
    The Famous Mother Bombie's Book of Witchcraft and Cunning Magick for Fortune Telling, Herb Magick, Divination, Charms, Potions and Old-Time Spellcraft.

I buy most of mine from local shops in places i visit.

If im in Gloucester i shop in spellbound or pilgrims
    If im in bath i shop in Arcania.

To be honest i prefer Spellbound as they are such a friendly place to visit and can get hold of almost anything that you need if its not in stock.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I actually recently made myself a dragon's blood oil at Midsummer. There is no true essential oil for dragon's blood, but you can create your own infused oil easily enough.

Make sure you have a good base oil, I prefer jojoba personally. Powder the resin and mix into your base in sealed glass bottle. The ratio is really up to you, just make sure that it's finely ground. I believe I used about, hmmm, probably a 1/4 oz of powdered resin to about 3 oz of jojoba.

From here it's merely a matter of time. Make sure to shake the bottle a few time, if not at least once, a day. The oil will start to absorb the color of the resin and turn red. If you feel it's not happening fast enough, you can always put a pot of water on the stove, not bubbling, and give the bottle a hot bath to help speed things along.

Some dragons blood is naturally more pigmented than others, so if you find your oil not turning as red as you might like it, I suggest (something I'm planning on doing myself) getting some alkanet and mixing it in as well. From there, and I'm probably going to do this at Midwinter (symbolic and all) you can strain the excess resin out of the oil using cheesecloth to create an unadulterated oil with no pieces.

Hope all this helps!

Additionally, if you don't want an oil, you can also find a variant dragon's blood, specifically "sangre de grado" from South American trees, in a liquid form. It's more of tincture than anything else, it believe it's diluted in an alcohol base, but I also own this for candle-making purposes:

http://www.amazon.com/Sangre-Grado-E.../dp/B000I4CD6M

Be forewarned though, this does not dissolve in oil. Only water and alcohol bases, I believe. Trial and error was the only way I found that one out.

I use kerosine, mostly.
    Xentor, your friendly-neighbourhood Checkerist
    Contact me | The Dialogues on Checkerism

I run the @anonywicks accounts on Twitter, Tumblr, and Instagram. Pagans present!

thanks quantum, i will try that way to make some oil. Always like messing around making stuff.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

1.Dragon's Blood
    2.Cinnamon
    3.Night Queen
    4.Cherry
    5.Eucalyptus
    6.Cancer (Zodiac)
    7.Lavendar
    8.Patchouli
    9.Moon
    10. Rose