Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: When did the Devil come into Halloween

When did the Devil come into Halloween

Being a Celtic holiday when did christains take over it and claim its a day to celebrate their devil?

Quote Originally Posted by SarahFair View Post
    Being a Celtic holiday when did christains take over it and claim its a day to celebrate their devil?
    http://www.neopagan.net/Halloween-Origins.html
    MYSTIC WICKS Needs your help!Please donate or subscribe!

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Quote Originally Posted by lightdragon View Post

Bologna...Halloween is an invention of the devil and candy manufacturers engaged in a deeply satanic conspiracy to spread cavities among our youth. The conspiracy began with dark sacrafices offered by the Olmec civilization to the devil in his role as Lord of the Cocoa Bean. Today devilish sweets have overrun western civilization and Halloween is the devils night when she sends forth her demonic children to fill the bellies of costumed Cinderellas and Mark Twains. Chocolate is a sinful pleasure. Indulge at your own risk.
    To see a World in a Grain of Sand, And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
    Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand , And Eternity in an hour. - Big Poppa Blake

Currently available for Intuitive Readings. Check the Psychics and Sensitives section or PM me for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by Sesen View Post
    Bologna...Halloween is an invention of the devil and candy manufacturers engaged in a deeply satanic conspiracy to spread cavities among our youth. The conspiracy began with dark sacrafices offered by the Olmec civilization to the devil in his role as Lord of the Cocoa Bean. Today devilish sweets have overrun western civilization and Halloween is the devils night when she sends forth her demonic children to fill the bellies of costumed Cinderellas and Mark Twains. Chocolate is a sinful pleasure. Indulge at your own risk.
    Please tell me you dont believe this.....

Please tell me you dont believe this.....
    I think he was just joking
    "If the stars should appear but one night every thousand years how man would marvel and stare." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Remember your spirituality" - Ganesha to a friend in a dream, 2008

I dont think that Halloween is the sole purpose the christians saying that pagans were worshiping the devil.

This came just from the pure fact that the christians were trying to convert them and they said the horned one was their devil. This kept people from getting interested in paganism although this isnt the case at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Selah View Post
    I think he was just joking
    It sounded much like the line out of Hocus Pocus

But everyone here knows that Halloween
    was invented by the candy companies.
    Last edited by SarahFair; October 18th, 2010 at 10:25 AM.

Unlike most of the other Pre-Xian Holidays, Samhain is not easily translated into an Xian Holy Day (ie, the Winter Solstice becomes Xmass, The Vernal Equinox becomes Easter) although the Catholic Church tried with All Saints and All Souls Days.

The old traditions involve both Ancestors (all souls) and Heros (all saints) visiting from the Otherworld as well as not-well-intentioned Spirits. From the Church's pov, it's easy to conflate 'not-well-intentioned' with the Devil. The other parts of the tradition; not visiting, not letting anyone cross the threshold, disguising yourself if you had to be out, making tumshie lanterns, turned out to be very hard to eradicate. And once the candy-makers got involved it was destined to be a societal holiday for all time.
    *I am a mystic and work through Imbas rather than re-constructive archeology. Lore, history, and research are vital tools and permit us to validate and amplify communications we recieve. Disagreement and referencing of materials are also welcome benchmarks. What I say is not the 'Truth' but only my perception/opinion/belief and I am happy to give the same consideration to everyone else's point of view.*

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/duty_calls.png

"everyone [is] entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts." Stephen Colbert

I want to add that All Saint's Day is also Reformation Day, a holiday observed by Lutheran and some other Protestant groups. Some Christians observe that instead of Halloween.

Quote Originally Posted by Brunhilda View Post
    I want to add that All Saint's Day is also Reformation Day, a holiday observed by Lutheran and some other Protestant groups. Some Christians observe that instead of Halloween.
    Yups. The thing is Halloween is actual dusk of the 31st until dusk of Nov. 1st, making it not just one day. That's how it became called All Hallow's Eve. Then there's All saints day to cover the rest of Halloween and All Soul's Day aka Dia de los Muertos.

I personally celebrate all 3 days^_^

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast