Thread: A Guide to Help my Path

A Guide to Help my Path

Hi, I'm Kalinda. I've been searching into Paganism and over the years it has begun to deeply resonate with me.

I grew up Christian, and questioned the ideas all my life. I believe in rebirth but I would like to explore this more. I believe that rebirth is natural and divine, that it is not a punishment. I think our spirits carry us on to better places, and the soul is basically the part of us that keeps us alive. When we die, our souls are ready to move onto new places. There are people who die at the wrong times, but they still have souls and our souls still gravitate towards better places.

I've been reading the Essenes, and I think Mary Magdelene was a part of the spiritual movement that was countered by Kings who saw Jesus as a threat. I believe Mary Magdelene was certainly not a prostitute, and intuitively I feel she was either Married or in love with Jesus. I think a lot of people feel this too. In some of the discovered fragments, there is talk of Angels and a God and Goddess in ancient Israel. I think the idea of God and Goddess is Universal, and Wicca reconstructs this. So yes, in some ways, Wicca's ideals have been around since the beginning. The patriarchal society has wiped out a lot of female history. It's getting much better in 2010, and I believe it is continuing to get better as women are more recognized.

My dad says this is due to the ancient fact that Men would hunt and women would stay at home. But, I don't know why men being warriers would make women become oppressed. It doesn't make sense to me. In old cultures, woman sometimes did more work at home then men. Cooking was a lot more work then, building, cleaning, etc. Yet, I can see where adversary might be adaptive to hunting and gathering since men are more built for hunting and women are made more for taking care of children.

I just don't believe that oppressing women has been universal across all cultures, my dad said this. He said, what culture hasn't? He doesn't agree that it's right, he just said that he was reading an article that said this.

I kinda went off topic.

Things I'd like to work on: being more spiritualy grounded, protection, and healing and learning to make effective prayer/spells.

Still working on the right path, within the Pagan structure.

Have looked into Celtic Reconstructionism, and I do like a lot of it that resonates.

I'm not the teacher for you, but look into Native American cultures and you will see many women who weren't oppressed til the white man showed up, and even in their cultures today, they're still female dominant. There are probably those that are male dominant, but most that I know of and have had contact with, the women are in charge.

Quote Originally Posted by kagekarasu View Post
    I'm not the teacher for you, but look into Native American cultures and you will see many women who weren't oppressed til the white man showed up, and even in their cultures today, they're still female dominant. There are probably those that are male dominant, but most that I know of and have had contact with, the women are in charge.
    Speaking as a Native, I'm not sure this is the right word to use. There's an incorrect perception that a lot of our societies were patriarchal and more of an incorrect assumption that our societies were very matriarchal. Men's roles and women's roles weren't really comparable. One wasn't better or more honored than the other, they were just different. Some men took women's roles and some women took men's roles. One wasn't stuck in the role provided to their gender forever.

That said, we (on average) had way more rights as women in traditional culture than most of Western society. For example, in my tribe, women owned the home because they made the teepees. They made the clothes as well. However, men made their own ceremonial clothes, their own weapons and their own medicine bundles. There were women in my tribe who became warriors, there are women who took wives and men who took husbands.

One role wasn't better than the other, it was just different.
    Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu meryt Sekhmet-Hethert
    "Ki'sommkiistomisam waamisookiiksisapoo, noohkohka'pssi kiistinoonnitsitapii"
    "Ba ar pet sat ar ta"
    Spiritual blog:
    Dividing by Zero: Hanging out with God(desse)s