Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A different way to meditate?

A different way to meditate?

My best thoughts come when I'm driving, especially if I'm driving without a destination. I don't mean to, but it just happens.

If i lay down and try to meditate, I fall asleep.
    If i sit up and try it, I become distracted and feel like I NEED to lay down.

Sometimes I wish I had a little portable voice recorder so I could verbalize my thoughts right then and there since I can't write them down when I drive.

What are some other forms of meditation that would work for me if driving is the best thing to put me into that thoughtful state of mind? Something active..maybe walking?

most of my meditations come out of running. when i try to sit and meditate, i get the same feeling- either i have to move or i have to lie down. sitting irritates me :P
    "All good things are wild and free."
    - Henry David Thoreau

is offline My pet Cricket has restless leg syndrome
    I find meditating while doing involved, but monotonous tasks to be extremely stimulating. Stuff like driving, washing dishes, mowing the lawn, splitting wood, etc. Oddly enough, I find it easier to meditate while splitting wood. It probably has something to do with the rhythm I develop and the breathing involved. Meditating while running is great for me too. Especially if I'm listening to drum beats or something with a strong rhythm.

I, too, get visions while driving. It can be very peaceful for me.

I find that yoga can help. Running. Coloring/drawing. Dancing. Cooking. All of these are rhythmic to me, and can help me to relax or gain visions. I find that playing video games can also be relaxing/meditative. Katamari Damacy especially.

-Devo
    dA | FB | LJ

I find that when I am doing beadwork, leatherwork, sewing....actually anything that requires my hands but not necessarily my mind allows me to meditate quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by Devo View Post
    I find that playing video games can also be relaxing/meditative. Katamari Damacy especially.

-Devo
    NOOOOOOOO I stopped playing that game a couple years ago and I still see the giant balls of random stuff in my dreams. it's horrible, i tell you. horrible!!
    "All good things are wild and free."
    - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by calamedes View Post
    NOOOOOOOO I stopped playing that game a couple years ago and I still see the giant balls of random stuff in my dreams. it's horrible, i tell you. horrible!!
    XDD But it's so relaxing! :D

-Devo
    dA | FB | LJ

I'm the same way -- I come up with great ideas while driving, showering, walking, exercising, and so forth. And I think that you don't have to be sitting quietly to be meditating. For example, many folks I know use hula hooping as meditation (check out http://www.hooppath.com). Just make sure you use an adult-sized hoop!

deep journey | living the spiritual life
    Now offering detailed $7.00 professional oracle and tarot readings via Deep Journey!

I have always meditated by using music and moving around with the music. It more puts me into a trance than anything, but it works for me.

~Gabriel Matthew Speelman born February 8th, 2011 at 1:35pm, 6lbs. 7oz. 19"long~
    Under the full moon light we dance,Hand in hand we dance, Heart to heart we dance,Soul to soul rejoice.

During busy work is always the best time for me as well. Like pp said, happens to me while cleaning, doing dishes, driving, in shower, etc
    All of a sudden, its like my body just takes over the simple task at hand & my mind is free to roam.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast