Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: A different way to meditate?

Just an additional side not, if you look up asana and pranayama techniques in regards to meditation you should surpass those hindrances. Awkward positions make it hard to fall asleep, and the latter discipline trains your mind to persevere through those little annoyances....

By all means go through with the driving thing, but that doesn't mean you have to miss the opportunity to get the best out of both worlds.
    Semper Fidelis

Please don't try to meditate while driving -- what's going on around you should be the focus of your attention.

Faith is easy -- until the moment you actually need it.

"Since when are facts subjective?" - Athena_Nadine

"Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all convictions, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity."

– W.B. Yeats, "The Second Coming"

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Blue View Post
    Please don't try to meditate while driving -- what's going on around you should be the focus of your attention.

Seriously.
    "The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common:
    instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,
    which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that need altering."

I wouldn't say that what I personally do while driving is meditation. Its more like an inner dialog with myself where my thoughts just flow. I still have full control over my vehicle & I pay attention to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Blue View Post

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Somewhere one side or the other of sanity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    I wouldn't say that what I personally do while driving is meditation. Its more like an inner dialog with myself where my thoughts just flow. I still have full control over my vehicle & I pay attention to the road.
    Yes, what you're doing is a form of meditation. It's a form that many I know practice, but not a lot have heard it called by name. it's called "Discursive Meditation"

Google it and you'll be surprised at the number of hits. There's also a good article about it here http://aoda.org/Articles/Discursive_Meditation.html

Tully
    "Cattle die, kinsmen die, one day you yourself must die.

I know one thing that never dies:
    the dead man's reputation."

Havamal- Sayings of the High One

Henry David Thoreau wrote a bit about meditating while walking, as did Ralph Waldo Emerson. It's been a while since I've read it though, don't remember what exactly it was.

[GOOGLE BREAK]

Okay, Thoreau's was an essay called "Walking". Wikipedia

Emerson's was called "Nature". Wikipedia

This also happenes to me when I'm driving sometimes. But I'm most calm right before I go to bed and that's when all these thoughts come flooding in. Usually it's very helpful and beneficial for me, until I look at the clock and it's 4 in the morning.
    ........"That's why I say that ALL my trust and hopes are going to the animals on the discovery channel and not towards humanity" - Me

I think its pretty clear what the op meant.
    Its a form of meditation because you're thinking to yourself on a deeper level than: I need to do laundry, and clean the dishes.. and make sure to email so and so about such and such.

For me, it happens naturally when I drive. It's about as distracting as having a conversation with someone in the passenger seat. I get my best ideas and solutions when driving.

For intense focus, showers clear my head. Bad day? Take a shower. Frustrated about something? Take a shower. Trying to solve something? Take a shower. I take showers a lot. Just another way to meditate.
    I am... Witchy Woman Incognito
    “Although only breath, words which I command are immortal.” - Sappho

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2