Thread: Cleansing your deck?

Cleansing your deck?

I've always heard/read that you should cleanse your deck.

Thing is, I haven't read in over a year. I can hardly remember how I did it originally. Any suggestions? Comments?

Thanks.

<3
    "Be evil--you smile more."

--Brady, our beloved GM, during a WoD session.

Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep. . .
    So tie me to a post and block my ears
    I can see widows and orphans through my tears
    I know my call despite my faults
    And despite my growing fears

But I will hold on hope
    And I won't let you choke
    On the noose around your neck

And I'll find strength in pain
    And I will change my ways
    I'll know my name as it's called again
    ~ Mumford and Sons (The Cave)

"I have been in Sorrow's kitchen and licked out all the pots." ~ Susan Straight
    enter the sanctum

Thanks.
    "Be evil--you smile more."

--Brady, our beloved GM, during a WoD session.

I've had two decks in my lifetime. I've cleansed them... meh... maybe once. My first deck, I had for about 3 years, and my current deck, I've had for nearly 5. I like to keep stones in the wrappings of my deck to discourage anything "sticking" to the cards. However, unless you're really particular, I haven't found much need to cleanse them regularly.

As for methods, I've used crystals (a clear and a black stone, basically). Sage/smudging/incense methods. I've also used candlelight, sunlight and moonlight. Each works differently based off of the person, the cards, and the needs of both.

-Devo
    dA | FB | LJ

Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep. . .
    Since this is a common question and it's got links to other threads, I'll sticky this one.
    So tie me to a post and block my ears
    I can see widows and orphans through my tears
    I know my call despite my faults
    And despite my growing fears

But I will hold on hope
    And I won't let you choke
    On the noose around your neck

And I'll find strength in pain
    And I will change my ways
    I'll know my name as it's called again
    ~ Mumford and Sons (The Cave)

"I have been in Sorrow's kitchen and licked out all the pots." ~ Susan Straight
    enter the sanctum

I know a lot of people like to cleanse their decks as much as possible. I just put mine back in order for 24 hours after every ten readings. I've done this for 12 years and never had any problems!

Question

I've heard that sound can cleanse them... for example, I like to whack 'em on the table prior to a reading. I've had no problems with it, and it's less time consuming... and kinda fun.

However, I don't have a proper tarot deck as of yet, so I use playing cards - I don't know if that matters or not, but there you go.

When there is a full moon, i lay my cards out to bathe in the moon light I also light incense and pass the cards through the smoke. I have tried burying the cards in sand but didn't notice any affect on the cards.

I forgot to mention that after doing the above, i wrap my cards in black velevet and do not use them for 24 hours.

I keep hyssop and crystals in the box with my cards, I change it every few weeks. This, for me, keeps my cards cleansed all the time.

Sometimes I will do a reading for a client and the energy is so negative that I just feel grimey afterwards. This happens a lot during psychic fairs where I have no control over who I am reading for. When this happens I will take that particular deck and put it out not only in moonlight but sunlight as well. I will smudge with sage. Sometimes put in a bag with hyssop and clear quartz and put away from everything for a few days.

I've never actually thrown a deck away, but I have one that I gave a reading with back in 2005 at a Ren Fair. It is still sitting in it's box. I have cleansed them multiple times and even wiped them down physically with a cloth dampened in hyssop and blessed water. I doubt I will ever use the deck again. I've tried, but the cards just feel greasy and nasty to me.