Thread: Bad news - good news

Bad news - good news

Well, my youngest son has decided to move out of the farmhouse he's been renting. Lack of a steady job and room mates that have not always been picking up their share (all the bills are in his name) have forced him to give it up. His LL has been very good to him but they need to at least cover their expenses and make sure the place doesn't go to hell. With Jon moving out they will probably sell the place. He dose have a place to live for free for the next few months. By then hopefully he'll have a steady job! He's a smart, very mature kid and I give him credit for not letting things go so far that it would take years to clean up! He's getting out while he still has credit and dignity left!

Thing is, he needs to either house or eat his 4 chickens! LOL at this point he doesn't want to feed his room mates and the first 2 he got he got kind of attached too! lol... I understand. So... the chicken coop we planed for spring has to be done now so I can winter over his "pet" layers (Colby Beef and Fried....that's their names!).

Well good news is we have the building! It's the greenhouse/ garden shed/ chicken coop. However it needs some modifications. I Put an add on Cregis list and scored some insulation and a little fencing. I found some "curbside" screens and windows on Sunday so we have a start ... all free!!! Thank the Gods! The windows will go between the greenhouse part and the coop so they will get southern light and heat. I can put some screen windows together to make doors and cover the insulation. A friend got some warped timber real, real cheap for us and what we can't use we can burn for heat. We hopefully will be able to make a coop for 30 - 40 chickens for under $100! My son is even looking to barter work for straw! We'll see how it goes! Wish us luck!
    We are all just visitors to this earth!

Another fine banner by Catiana
    (\_/) (\_/)
    (O.o) ( _ )
    (> <) ( o ) hopping away!
    Green Room Forum Guide
    The MW Kitchen Forum Guide
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Well, the coop is almost done. 8 nesting boxes and some roosts should be done by the weekend. Total cost w/ the pine shavings and straw... $65! I am looking at getting a water troff that won't freeze so that might put us close to $100. In any case, $100 for a chicken coop for 20-30 chickens 'ain't bad. Shoot, paid for in the first year.
    Last edited by Cindlady2; November 10th, 2010 at 05:39 AM.
    We are all just visitors to this earth!

Another fine banner by Catiana
    (\_/) (\_/)
    (O.o) ( _ )
    (> <) ( o ) hopping away!
    Green Room Forum Guide
    The MW Kitchen Forum Guide
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Sounds like you got a great start! Thank the gods for the blessings of the Free and Cheap materials! I send blessings for you and your son! I ask the gods for roommates that pay their share!