Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Why are you an atheist?

is offline SEXY conservative asshole with a heart

Why are you an atheist?

I have went through dozens of religious stages in my life, going from catholic to other forms of christianity, satanist, wiccan, generic pagan, follower of loki, agnostic, and now atheist. I think the only religion that has ever made sense to me is Satanism...and I'm looking back towards it now. However for a long time I decided, what is the harm in religion, I don't believe, but I'm open to the possibility and I think religion has some positive notes. However what has driven me away from most religions, and most categories (jock, goth, geek, ect.) is that people from any group try to feel special, and to do that they attack others. Sadly MW is the cause of me turning on all religion. I've realized that as much as people here want everyone to get along, they are just as quick to attack when someone doesn't share their beliefs. I decided that the hypocrisy of the religious as a whole was so much I couldn't defend what benefits I saw in religion. It made me realize that I couldn't sit by and be an accessory to their passive aggressive hypocrisy. It made me realize that the slim chance of anything existing was not enough to allow people to be self righteous d-bags, and that I must take on those who are dependant on the idea that their is something more to their lives.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. H.L. Mencken

I think you are confusing atheism as a philosophical choice, with atheism as a banner under which to launch your holy crusade/jihad.
    Tobias

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its labourers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children.

-Dwight D Eisenhower

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I think you are confusing atheism as a philosophical choice, with atheism as a banner under which to launch your holy crusade/jihad.
    Nope, once again you just don't get it. I've pointed out that I've been around, and the only thing that I found even slightly appealing is satanism, which in all actuallity is more along the lines of atheism + a specific philosophy. I've never believed, but I said "sure it is possible" to try to play nice with those who needed to believe in something. The reality is I realized that what I was trying to defend was indefensible, and the people I was trying to appease were nothing more than hypocrites. Instead of saying "Hitler had his good qualities" I've went to "Hitler is a d-bag"...sure, both can be true, but at some point you realize that it really isn't worth the bother.

ETA, after responding I'm regretting my vote in making this forum unprotected. While I have no problem defending my beliefs, it would be fun to use the "it's not up for debate" argument.
    Last edited by memnoch; October 28th, 2010 at 03:59 AM.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. H.L. Mencken

However what has driven me away from most religions, and most categories (jock, goth, geek, ect.) is that people from any group try to feel special, and to do that they attack others.
    It is unclear to me whether you chose to become an atheist because this attitude in others bothered you, or because you found a prejudice against atheism to be your greatest tool in pursuing "justice".

Do you feel that I am challenging your religion (or lack thereof?) Or violating the sanctity of path specific forums? I don't intend to. I'm simply discussion what was said in the op without bringing anything else into the conversation.

You said:
    It made me realize that I couldn't sit by and be an accessory to their passive aggressive hypocrisy.
    This is you explaining why you attack other people and their religions constantly, right? You see hypocrisy, and strive to do something about it. Right?
    Tobias

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its labourers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children.

-Dwight D Eisenhower

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    It is unclear to me whether you chose to become an atheist because this attitude in others bothered you, or because you found a prejudice against atheism to be your greatest tool in pursuing "justice".

Do you feel that I am challenging your religion (or lack thereof?) Or violating the sanctity of path specific forums? I don't intend to. I'm simply discussion what was said in the op without bringing anything else into the conversation.

You said:

This is you explaining why you attack other people and their religions constantly, right? You see hypocrisy, and strive to do something about it. Right?
    I wasn't clear and for that I apologize, what I meant by being driven away is that, because of such experiences I distance myself from them, not that that was what changed my beliefs.

As for if you are violating the sanctity, no, but I've found that the argument "it is not up for debate" seems to be sufficient in violating rules and was meant very tongue in cheek...I strongly oppose the "sanctity" and would never mean that seriously...just thinking of the humor factor in using that to shut up people I disagree with...in all fairness my humor is a bit odd.

That isn't why I "attack" people. I challenge people when I believe them to be wrong. I did that long before I became a somewhat militant atheist. Included in the things I believe to be wrong is hypocrisy, with a huge but. We are all hypocrits in one way or another. I have no issue with people who admit their hypocrisy when it occurs. I do take issue with those, especially those in power, or the self righteous among us, are hypocritical, especially when it is in an issue of importance to me, and they don't admit it.

Ok. cool.

It sounded like you were being all insightful, and explaining why you do what you do. But I guess I just read that in there all on my own!

(Perhaps I'm the one who's confused between atheism as a philosophical idea and the whole crusade/jihad thing.)
    Tobias

-Dwight D Eisenhower

herbal_legends Guest
    I'm not an atheist or anything but I wanted to tell you that I can relate with what you're saying.

There are those in all religions that repel me from it but at the same time I don't use jerk people on the internet or in real life to define my own Truth. If a religion resonates well with me, I will seek the truth of that religion and represent it the way I feel it should be represented despite the incompetents that claim to be of the same religion as me.

I think you feel you don't want to be categorized and considered equal to those that you are repelled by. Which is what pushed me personally away from Wicca for so long....I didn't want to be associated with anyone that didn't feel the same as me about it lol.

Religion, I feel, is a lot deeper than the people that are associated with it.....

You can see that in Islam today.....Muslims know that the terrorists don't represent them or their religion and choose to practice despite them. (I know that's an extreme example lol)

It's fairly simple.

Like you I searched through a lot of religions. Some made more sense to me than others. What confused me is many claimed to be the one true religion and others claim their is more than one right path.

Either way people claim their own personal truth about how the universe was created and attach labels to that creator being their god(s).

Out of billions of people their are a countless number of confident religions, some of which have died out, some of which are fairly new, many of which claim to be correct and even if they don't the followers of them believe them to be correct just as much as the followers of the ones that claim they are the one true religions.

Anyone in the world can make any such claim to have experienced the divine and these are based on our own personal interpretation of our experiences.

I've had a few unexplainable experiences and witnessed what many would interpret as paranormal activity.

Then you have to ask yourself why are you even searching in the first place? What is so important that I have to answer these burning questions? Why are their so many different religions? Why do many all say *they* are the correct one?

The answer becomes obvious. It's because our minds curiosity needs to find answers and fears the unknown. Our search for meaning can be answered in so many different ways and we are so fearful of death we cling to fairy tales and dogma and even go so far as to defend them with our lives.

It's all whats in your head.

I believe their are things that exist that we have no understanding or comprehension of, but I don't claim to know what they are or even categorize them.
    You will always do what you think, if you think you cannot change because that is always who you were - that is always who you will be. If you think you decide who you are despite what you have done in the past, and can decide who you are today you will. Do not chain yourself to the past or the future, but what you can decide in the present.

Quote Originally Posted by memnoch View Post
    I wasn't clear and for that I apologize, what I meant by being driven away is that, because of such experiences I distance myself from them, not that that was what changed my beliefs.

As for if you are violating the sanctity, no, but I've found that the argument "it is not up for debate" seems to be sufficient in violating rules and was meant very tongue in cheek...I strongly oppose the "sanctity" and would never mean that seriously...just thinking of the humor factor in using that to shut up people I disagree with...in all fairness my humor is a bit odd.

That isn't why I "attack" people. I challenge people when I believe them to be wrong. I did that long before I became a somewhat militant atheist. Included in the things I believe to be wrong is hypocrisy, with a huge but. We are all hypocrits in one way or another. I have no issue with people who admit their hypocrisy when it occurs. I do take issue with those, especially those in power, or the self righteous among us, are hypocritical, especially when it is in an issue of importance to me, and they don't admit it.

As a Discordian you should feel free to mock my religion at any time, I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Charley Brown View Post
    As a Discordian you should feel free to mock my religion at any time, I do.
    TITCM!!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast