Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Why are you an atheist?

Quote Originally Posted by Charley Brown View Post
    As a Discordian you should feel free to mock my religion at any time, I do.
    Religion should always be mocked, especially the you can't disprove it aspect. That's like saying you can't disprove that you're not an idiot. Also, anyone offended I personally don't think knows what they believe and further more doesn't truly have faith in their beliefs.

I also think religion is more about people wanting labels and to fit in than what they actually believe in. Everyone wants to feel special in some way.

Quote Originally Posted by memnoch View Post
    . Sadly MW is the cause of me turning on all religion. I've realized that as much as people here want everyone to get along, they are just as quick to attack when someone doesn't share their beliefs.
    there are a lot of board with the same attitude as MW. some worse some better. supposedly i know a few here.but since it doesn't concern me directly i didn't get involved. so i can't get into detail.

I decided that the hypocrisy of the religious as a whole was so much I couldn't defend what benefits I saw in religion. It made me realize that I couldn't sit by and be an accessory to their passive aggressive hypocrisy.
    this was basically my attitude towards Christians when i was Christian.

It made me realize that the slim chance of anything existing was not enough to allow people to be self righteous d-bags, and that I must take on those who are dependant on the idea that their is something more to their lives.
    I agree and i also see that with people who are dependant on the idea that there is nothing more to their lives as well.

That isn't why I "attack" people. I challenge people when I believe them to be wrong. I did that long before I became a somewhat militant atheist. Included in the things I believe to be wrong is hypocrisy, with a huge but. We are all hypocrits in one way or another. I have no issue with people who admit their hypocrisy when it occurs. I do take issue with those, especially those in power, or the self righteous among us, are hypocritical, especially when it is in an issue of importance to me, and they don't admit it
    this i have to agree to an extent .
    MYSTIC WICKS Needs your help!Please donate or subscribe!

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

is offline (Adoreable) Community Member
    One Atheist i personally know is so because he believes in science that what science shows is the only real truth. I must say he is easily one of the most intelligent people I've ever met but he recognizes only the physical world and can not grasp the concept of a metaphysical/astral world. However i understand why from his perspective. Another Atheist I know is one because he saw combat and saw some really horrible this which is understandable as well....
    the true assention: Jesus died and went up to heaven. Upon entering nobody was there. he was all alone...and then it hit...The voice had tricked him...there was no pie.

Please, Send your energies to those who suffer from Anatidaephobia...They need your help more than ever, And remember, Anatidaephobia is no laughing matter. Check with your doctor immediatly if you have Anatidaephobia.

Science is not something to base truth on. Science is every changing, evolving and becoming more complex. While much of science is based on observation, trial and error, there are things, like theoretical physics that while may very well be true, they in this current time can not be tested, much like religious beliefs, though I think the day will come sooner that we will be able to test string theory as to proving God exists.

I think Atheists get a bad rap because most of them end up sounding bitter and downright rude.

Insinuating that people are idiots for believing in something they cannot see tends to create hostile defensive emotions.

Me, personally? I don't care. I am spiritual, but not exactly religious. Religious - to me - says that my beliefs are set in stone, which they are not. I follow what I feel is right.
    Now this is the Law of the Jungle - as old and as true as the Sky. And the Wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the Wolf that shall break it must die. As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack. ~ Rudyard Kipling

is offline SEXY conservative asshole with a heart
    Quote Originally Posted by Vampiel View Post
    It's fairly simple.

Like you I searched through a lot of religions. Some made more sense to me than others. What confused me is many claimed to be the one true religion and others claim their is more than one right path.

Either way people claim their own personal truth about how the universe was created and attach labels to that creator being their god(s).

Out of billions of people their are a countless number of confident religions, some of which have died out, some of which are fairly new, many of which claim to be correct and even if they don't the followers of them believe them to be correct just as much as the followers of the ones that claim they are the one true religions.

Anyone in the world can make any such claim to have experienced the divine and these are based on our own personal interpretation of our experiences.

I've had a few unexplainable experiences and witnessed what many would interpret as paranormal activity.

Then you have to ask yourself why are you even searching in the first place? What is so important that I have to answer these burning questions? Why are their so many different religions? Why do many all say *they* are the correct one?

The answer becomes obvious. It's because our minds curiosity needs to find answers and fears the unknown. Our search for meaning can be answered in so many different ways and we are so fearful of death we cling to fairy tales and dogma and even go so far as to defend them with our lives.

It's all whats in your head.

I believe their are things that exist that we have no understanding or comprehension of, but I don't claim to know what they are or even categorize them.
    I am curious, did the military have any role in your search for religion? When I went in I knew of christianity, a bastardized teenage drama and angst filled wicca, and satanism. The military opened my eyes to all of these different religions, a more accurate wicca, buddhism, islam, taoism, and even the church of the subgenious. I absorbed it all, partially out of curiousity, partially because religious service was a way to avoid work, especially in basic training and AIT.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. H.L. Mencken

is offline SEXY conservative asshole with a heart
    Quote Originally Posted by kagekarasu View Post
    Science is not something to base truth on. Science is every changing, evolving and becoming more complex. While much of science is based on observation, trial and error, there are things, like theoretical physics that while may very well be true, they in this current time can not be tested, much like religious beliefs, though I think the day will come sooner that we will be able to test string theory as to proving God exists.
    Posts like this make me wish Iggy were here to tear it apart. With that said, how do you think string theory would prove god exists?
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by memnoch View Post
    I am curious, did the military have any role in your search for religion? When I went in I knew of christianity, a bastardized teenage drama and angst filled wicca, and satanism. The military opened my eyes to all of these different religions, a more accurate wicca, buddhism, islam, taoism, and even the church of the subgenious. I absorbed it all, partially out of curiousity, partially because religious service was a way to avoid work, especially in basic training and AIT.
    Nope, the military had nothing to do with my search.

For a long time I was agnostic... basically disenfranchised toward making any decision toward what I believed.

I was raised Mormon and it never really made sense to me... so I considered myself agnostic once I was able to think on my own. What sparked it was I met for the first time someone said to me... their is no god, none whatsoever, god does not exist.

At the time it was outside of my perception, an almost preposterous statement.

Since then I did a lot of searching for what god meant.

After much research and critical thinking, I came to the conclusion that god is a concept of the human mind.

In reality that *is* what god(s) are. No matter how much someone will say well... my god *is real* just as someone else might say *no MINE is* -- it's all our own perception... it's how our mind works in searching for more meaning, it's an extension of ourselves.

So in the end someone could say Jesus is our saviour, or that Zues looks after me, but I think it's just our way of saying.... I think I figured it all out and I'm going to label it *X* because that makes me feel better.

That's what makes sense to me, that's why I'm an atheist because I think god(s) are all made up in our head, I could easily go down some theist "path" and say you know what I saw this and that and I think it was *this*.... well I call bullshit on the whole thing, our minds just search for meaning and it's comforting to think we have figured it all out.

Personally I feel it's damn selfish of anyone to make the claim they have any clue what the cosmos are, especially when many people can't even begin to comprehend basic scientific principles that some of us already understand.

Unfortunately this is an unpopular opinion to question someones outlook on life. It's critical for this type of discussion and it's about time it's brought out into the open to call bullshit on the whole thing.
    Last edited by Vampiel; October 29th, 2010 at 02:56 AM.
    You will always do what you think, if you think you cannot change because that is always who you were - that is always who you will be. If you think you decide who you are despite what you have done in the past, and can decide who you are today you will. Do not chain yourself to the past or the future, but what you can decide in the present.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucien View Post
    One Atheist i personally know is so because he believes in science that what science shows is the only real truth. I must say he is easily one of the most intelligent people I've ever met but he recognizes only the physical world and can not grasp the concept of a metaphysical/astral world. However i understand why from his perspective. Another Atheist I know is one because he saw combat and saw some really horrible this which is understandable as well....
    Yea..... in other words "we cannot grasp the concept of the metaphysical/astral world" -- so we should just leave it to fairy tales and vague references to be able to.... umm... not grasp, but explain this mystical stuff.
    You will always do what you think, if you think you cannot change because that is always who you were - that is always who you will be. If you think you decide who you are despite what you have done in the past, and can decide who you are today you will. Do not chain yourself to the past or the future, but what you can decide in the present.

Quote Originally Posted by kagekarasu View Post
    Science is always testing and re-testing known principles in light of new understandings, but that is the strength of science. It separates the wheat from the chaff, so to speak. If something is proven wrong, a new theory and new experiments can be conducted to uncover what is really going on. Religion doesn't do this, which is what makes it brittle when placed beside science.

That being said, science can only prove what we have the capacity to prove now. Theory is a logical mathematical formula until we can prove it right or wrong. For example, Stephen Hawking's theory of black holes emitting light/radiation has been proven correct. On the other hand, it had long been theorized that quantum entanglement couldn't occur in biological organisms because they are too warm. That was disproven when quantum entanglement was uncovered as a mechanism in photosynthesis.

String theory can't prove god, because the concept of god posits him to be "supernatural" or outside of nature and string theory can only prove what is natural. I do think it's possible that string theory and quantum entanglement might provide explanations for things we currently assume to be "supernatural", paranormal, spiritual, or simply impossible/made up/craziness.

Personally, I don't believe in god(s), but I have had experiences with seemingly conscious energies/beings that were independantly verified(experienced) by different people at different times. They were not group hallucinations or a couple of people hyping each other up and pretending to go along. That has made me think that there is more to this reality than we have theorized or can currently prove, and that perhaps there are ways of being conscious without being corporeal -- to, essentially, hack our current understanding of life and reality.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast