Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Why are you an atheist?

String theory? Seriously?

Physicists have a tolerance for theory; indeed, unless you were there to witness a phenomenon yourself--the Big Bang, say--it will always be, at some level, hypothetical. But the slow accretion of data and evidence eventually eliminates reasonable doubt. Not so--or at least not yet--with strings.
    "It's fine to propose speculative ideas," says Woit, "but if they can't be tested, they're not science." To borrow the withering dismissal coined by the great physicist Wolfgang Pauli, they don't even rise to the level of being wrong.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...6142-2,00.html

Quote Originally Posted by Charley Brown View Post
    String theory? Seriously?

Physicists have a tolerance for theory; indeed, unless you were there to witness a phenomenon yourself--the Big Bang, say--it will always be, at some level, hypothetical. But the slow accretion of data and evidence eventually eliminates reasonable doubt. Not so--or at least not yet--with strings.
    "It's fine to propose speculative ideas," says Woit, "but if they can't be tested, they're not science." To borrow the withering dismissal coined by the great physicist Wolfgang Pauli, they don't even rise to the level of being wrong.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...6142-2,00.html
    Sure, many people doubt it being a theory because it can't be tested. Some others argue that string theory can predict the behaviour of entangled quantum particles, and through prediction and testing of quantum particle behaviour, you can test the verifiability of string theory. Who knows what the future holds.

EDIT: I suppose I need add a link. Here: http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/20...ringy-quantum/ It's amazing what a difference only four years can make.
    Last edited by VuDo; October 29th, 2010 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by VuDo View Post
    Sure, many people doubt it being a theory because it can't be tested. Some others argue that string theory can predict the behaviour of entangled quantum particles, and through prediction and testing of quantum particle behaviour, you can test the verifiability of string theory. Who knows what the future holds.

EDIT: I suppose I need add a link. Here: http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/20...ringy-quantum/ It's amazing what a difference only four years can make.

In that case I invoke The Higgs Boson.

In that case I invoke The Higgs Boson.
    Meaning?

Meaning?

If we are searching for evidence of god in unproven fields then shouldn't the god particle be a topic as well as string theory?

If we are searching for evidence of god in unproven fields then shouldn't the god particle be a topic as well as string theory?
    You'd have to talk to someone else about that. I don't believe in god(s) and really don't care much about proving or disproving god(s). I don't think god(s) can be proven, but that's just my gut instinct talking. I actually think "proving the existence of god" talk is boring. I think quantum and brain talk is fascinating.

I'm much more interested in theories of quantum entanglement and the role it might play in consciousness, neurology, and paranormal/spiritual experiences. You know, the stuff categorized as "woo".

You'd have to talk to someone else about that. I don't believe in god(s) and really don't care much about proving or disproving god(s). I don't think god(s) can be proven, but that's just my gut instinct talking. I actually think "proving the existence of god" talk is boring. I think quantum and brain talk is fascinating.

I'm much more interested in theories of quantum entanglement and the role it might play in consciousness, neurology, and paranormal/spiritual experiences. You know, the stuff categorized as "woo".
    My bad.

Yeah, I've seen and been touched by 'ghosts.' I don't know about an explanation though. It happened, that much I do know. I do wonder though, what if they aren't ghosts, but just another someone in a thinly closed other dimension.

My bad.

Yeah, I've seen and been touched by 'ghosts.' I don't know about an explanation though. It happened, that much I do know. I do wonder though, what if they aren't ghosts, but just another someone in a thinly closed other dimension.
    See, I've had those experiences too, and those are the things I wonder about. That's what's interesting about string theory in that it postulates a number of unobservable dimensions and the possibility of strings interconnecting between dimensions (if I understand it correctly). But any thoughts I have on its connection to these experiences are purely speculative thought experiments.

There's some interesting research regarding meta analysis of psi and pk studies showing the probability "something" is occuring and the possibility of quantum entanglement being involved. Dean Radin's written a couple of books on the subject, but it's still so much on the fringes that skeptics poo-poo it as "woo" science.
    Last edited by VuDo; October 29th, 2010 at 02:53 PM. Reason: speling

It made me scrounge around in Noetic Sciences, another 'woo' science.

It made me scrounge around in Noetic Sciences, another 'woo' science.
    There's some interesting stuff under the banner of Noetic Science, and some other stuff that even I think is a little woohoo

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast