Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Why are you an atheist?

Quote Originally Posted by VuDo View Post
    There's some interesting stuff under the banner of Noetic Science, and some other stuff that even I think is a little woohoo

Oh yeah!

When I said this

Quote Originally Posted by kagekarasu View Post
    though I think the day will come sooner that we will be able to test string theory as to proving God exists.
    I meant string theory will be able to be tested and proved/disproved before we ever get to a way to test if God exists. Though if you go with the idea of string theory being able to tell the future and interlinking threads of one thing to another and in someways "God's channel" of things, to mean he's the one pulling the strings, you might be able to prove or disprove if there's some omnipotent puppet master out there......just maybe. Though again we'd still have to test string theory first.

And if the god particle is discovered it will make an excellent case for a non intelligent creation through chaos.

And if my aunt had balls she would be my uncle. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Charley Brown View Post
    And if my aunt had balls she would be my uncle. :D
    New thought experiment -- Schroedinger's aunt: if you put her into a steel box with a geiger counter...

I'm not an athiest, I just don't believe that Jehova/Yahweh/Allah exists.
    Last edited by Eldritch Cantrip; October 29th, 2010 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldritch Cantrip View Post
    I'm not an athiest, I just don't believe that Jehova/Yahweh/Allah exists.
    And you quoted my tongue-in-cheek comment because...?

And you quoted my tongue-in-cheek comment because...?
    I have A.D.D. - didn't notice I hit "quote" when posting

Quote Originally Posted by Eldritch Cantrip View Post
    I have A.D.D. - didn't notice I hit "quote" when posting
    Oh. Ok

is offline I was not born under a rhyming planet.
    I'm an atheist because the prospect of a deity doesn't make sense to me. Because I don't believe in it and my life is actually better without the belief in a deity.

It hasn't changed my life much at all, except for the fact that I am less stressed and feel better about myself.

I still light incense and candles, meditate, have little rituals I do, because I know some ritual behavior trigger the release of feel good chemicals in the brain, and my brain doesn't need the belief in a deity for that.

I tried out and studied a myriad of different religions and systems of belief, none of them improved my life, none of them really appealed to me completely, because I always had a whole heap of disbelief when it came to deities.
    Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, Asatru... the list goes on and on and on and on.
    I eventually accepted the fact that I don't believe there are deities, gods and goddesses.
    My life is no less beautiful, marvelous or colorful than anyone else's. Quite the opposite.
    Previously known as Njorun Alma

"A mind of the calibre of mine cannot derive its nutriment from cows." - George Bernard Shaw

New thought experiment -- Schroedinger's aunt: if you put her into a steel box with a geiger counter...
    Escape Pod Episode 275: Schrodinger's Cat Lady

Anyhoo...my beliefs are agnostic. I can't prove there isn't deity of any sort. I don't believe anyone can prove it, at least not now. Maybe never, but I'll be dead by then, so what do I care?

But my practice is atheistic. I have never had a single experience which suggests to me the presence of deity. Even if there are gods, my life runs much better when I behave as though there aren't. I am a more engaged, compassionate, active human being since I gave up god(s). The world makes more sense to me. I make more sense to me. I have better interactions with all of my fellow beings, and I'm just all-around a happier, more confident, nicer person to be around.
    If you're lucky you'll find something that reflects you,
    helps you feel your life protects you,
    cradles you and connects you to everything.
    Dar Williams, "The Hudson"

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast