Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Religions that teach original purity of spirit, instead of original sin?

Quote Originally Posted by Charley Brown View Post
    Is there a soul that is kin to an animal?
    Yes and no. I'm going to try and explain this as best I can. You can get Medicine from animals. It's not really a "totem" animal because pretty much every animal is your totem animal, regardless of if you feel a specific connection to a a specific animal. If you work with a lot of Bear Medicine, you start incorporating that into your spiritual soul. You don't have the soul of Bear per say, but you do. It's somewhere between being yours and his/hers. You share it. Example wise, all Blackfoot people have a piece of the Wolf People's souls. We have a special connection to the Wolf People in that after we were made (as people), the Wolf People taught us how to build communities, how to have society, to work together, to take care of our elders and our children. It's because of this that we're one of the only tribes on the plains that didn't eat dogs or anything that seemed like dogs (the first time my tribe saw seals, we refused to eat them because we figured they were some kind of aquatic dog) except in the most dire of circumstances.

It's not the same concept that say, Otherkin have, wherein they believe that either their immortal soul or their spiritual soul is that of an animal or some other manner of creature. We have phrases in Blackfoot that are akin to calling someone a particular animal; if someone has a temper, let's say, they are said to "be a bear" and "being a bear" is understood as one who has a temper (not necessarily a bad thing). Wolves are referred to as brothers/sisters, owls are often the spiritual souls of departed Medicine People, so it's all relative to what exactly you're talking about.

Of course, depending on the tribe as well, there are different concepts of this, but this is how it is with the Blackfoot. Humans are humans and buffalo are buffalo etcetera, but we all share the "normal" soul I spoke of and some of us share parts of our immortal and spiritual souls with various animals.

I don't know if that's a good enough explanation, so I can try to be more detailed, if need be. It's a mite difficult to explain these kinds of things in English though since there aren't really words for it in English, or really any other language I know except in Blackfoot.
    Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu meryt Sekhmet-Hethert
    "Ki'sommkiistomisam waamisookiiksisapoo, noohkohka'pssi kiistinoonnitsitapii"
    "Ba ar pet sat ar ta"
    Spiritual blog:
    Dividing by Zero: Hanging out with God(desse)s

Quote Originally Posted by mouseytalons View Post
    From what I undrestand from the converstions I've had with the Ojibwe in my area, yes. I don't understand how or why, as those conversations took place when I was quite young, but I do understand they believe they do use animals to describe or actually say your spirit is that of (in my case) the wolf (other animal).
    If I did not completely understand, please correct me. Thank You.
    Blessings

There is something hauntingly familiar about what Phoenix_Falls is saying. I really don't know how to describe it exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix_Falls View Post
    Yes and no. I'm going to try and explain this as best I can. You can get Medicine from animals. It's not really a "totem" animal because pretty much every animal is your totem animal, regardless of if you feel a specific connection to a a specific animal. If you work with a lot of Bear Medicine, you start incorporating that into your spiritual soul. You don't have the soul of Bear per say, but you do. It's somewhere between being yours and his/hers. You share it. Example wise, all Blackfoot people have a piece of the Wolf People's souls. We have a special connection to the Wolf People in that after we were made (as people), the Wolf People taught us how to build communities, how to have society, to work together, to take care of our elders and our children. It's because of this that we're one of the only tribes on the plains that didn't eat dogs or anything that seemed like dogs (the first time my tribe saw seals, we refused to eat them because we figured they were some kind of aquatic dog) except in the most dire of circumstances.

It's not the same concept that say, Otherkin have, wherein they believe that either their immortal soul or their spiritual soul is that of an animal or some other manner of creature. We have phrases in Blackfoot that are akin to calling someone a particular animal; if someone has a temper, let's say, they are said to "be a bear" and "being a bear" is understood as one who has a temper (not necessarily a bad thing). Wolves are referred to as brothers/sisters, owls are often the spiritual souls of departed Medicine People, so it's all relative to what exactly you're talking about.

Of course, depending on the tribe as well, there are different concepts of this, but this is how it is with the Blackfoot. Humans are humans and buffalo are buffalo etcetera, but we all share the "normal" soul I spoke of and some of us share parts of our immortal and spiritual souls with various animals.

I don't know if that's a good enough explanation, so I can try to be more detailed, if need be. It's a mite difficult to explain these kinds of things in English though since there aren't really words for it in English, or really any other language I know except in Blackfoot.

It was perfectly explained, and the answer I was hoping for.

What you have described so far is not a religion, but instead a way of life, trying to live in harmony with our surroundings, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Charley Brown View Post
    There is something hauntingly familiar about what Phoenix_Falls is saying. I really don't know how to describe it exactly.
    http://mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?t=233535

I made a new thread!
    Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu meryt Sekhmet-Hethert
    "Ki'sommkiistomisam waamisookiiksisapoo, noohkohka'pssi kiistinoonnitsitapii"
    "Ba ar pet sat ar ta"
    Spiritual blog:
    Dividing by Zero: Hanging out with God(desse)s

I read some place the Dakota soul fallows the Red Road to the Three Sisters Stars? But it did not say what kind of place it is?

Buddhist philosophies take a neutral stance on one's spiritual purity. Moreso the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions. The Heart Sutra speaks of all phenomena being neither stained nor pure. Which is to say that people are neither spiritually tainted nor pure, they aren't inherently virtuous or non-virtuous.

The Feri tradition has a similar belief if I recall correctly.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3