Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Blackfoot Philosophy and Theology

Blackfoot Philosophy and Theology

I mainly made this thread for Charley, so we can quit hijacking other people's threads, but I welcome any and all questions and will do my best to answer them =D

I'm a registered Southern Piegan (Southern Pikuni/Southern Peigan/AamsskŠpipikani/AamsskŠŠpipikani/Blackfeet)Blackfoot, I was raised up with the spiritual traditions of my tribe by my great-grandma (who was not a Medicine Woman or anything lol). I know a lot about our traditions, our way of looking at things, etc and I've always had a fondness bordering on obsession for studying other cultures which includes other tribal peoples, but I know the most about my own tribe. I speak the Pikuni dialect of Siksika although I also know the Blood dialect which is the same thing just with minor translation, pronunciation, and spelling differences.

This thread is for any questions regarding (specifically) Blackfoot culture, language, society, philosophy and theology.

Note: there are some things I'm unwilling to talk about either because of cultural taboos or because you need to have a certain amount of spiritual understanding to speak of it or I just don't know the answer. If I encounter any of these questions, I'll explain why I can't answer them instead of just saying "I can't answer that"
    Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu meryt Sekhmet-Hethert
    "Ki'sommkiistomisam waamisookiiksisapoo, noohkohka'pssi kiistinoonnitsitapii"
    "Ba ar pet sat ar ta"
    Spiritual blog:
    Dividing by Zero: Hanging out with God(desse)s

Thank you. Let me know if I get on your nerves, please.

What you have described so far is not a religion, but instead a way of life, trying to live in harmony with our surroundings, I think.

Carried over from this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Charley Brown View Post
    It was perfectly explained, and the answer I was hoping for.

What you have described so far is not a religion, but instead a way of life, trying to live in harmony with our surroundings, I think.
    Let me start out by saying that you're not getting on my nerves at all. Niitsitapi love nothing more than to talk about ourselves. Seriously. It's a past time. =D

Indeed Blackfoot have no religion. This is the way of most tribal peoples and most ancient cultures. We have absolutely no word for our spiritualities beyond something that translates to "The Real People's path/way" and sometimes is translated as "Our Way of Life." You can't fully understand our spirituality without understanding culture, history and language and I find it's this way with many, if not all, tribes in the Americas.

We don't traditionally believe in religion. Blackfoot people are by nature, quite monistic and we have never cared what someone else believes. We never fought with our neighbors to try and convert them to our way of thinking because to us, they worship the same things, just with a different name and different stories. I suppose, really, that's why I don't like the term "religion" and I always use the word "spirituality" when referring to my beliefs and the traditional beliefs of the Niitsitapi.
    "Ba ar pet sat ar ta"
    Spiritual blog:

Good!
    This is something I am already on board with. I have been close to nature my entire life, I am always happiest when outdoors.
    I have even passed up easy shots while hunting because my prey did something that made me smile or laugh.
    Whether it is mountain or plain, there is a peace to be found there, like no other place. When my soul is the most tormented just sitting and watching birds can fill me with rest.

Is it permitted to relate the story of the Creator?

Thank you for making this thread Phoenix I think it will be good to learn more about some of the Native American Cultures. I look forward to reading more.

Quote Originally Posted by Xander67 View Post
    Thank you for making this thread Phoenix I think it will be good to learn more about some of the Native American Cultures. I look forward to reading more.

I am going to adopt her!

Quote Originally Posted by Charley Brown View Post
    Good!
    This is something I am already on board with. I have been close to nature my entire life, I am always happiest when outdoors.
    I have even passed up easy shots while hunting because my prey did something that made me smile or laugh.
    Whether it is mountain or plain, there is a peace to be found there, like no other place. When my soul is the most tormented just sitting and watching birds can fill me with rest.

Is it permitted to relate the story of the Creator?
    Napi (Naapi in the Blood dialect), whose name is translated as Old Man (also called Old Man Coyote though His name doesn't mean that), but in Old Blackfoot, His name actually means Dawn Colored Man, referring to the color of His hair, which is white (incidentally, white people are collectively called Napikoan which means "Old Man People" but it's not the religious connotation of Napi's name by itself).

The Sun, called Natosi is thought by many familiar with Blackfoot theology to have replaced Napi as the central Creator god, but Napi and Natosi are the same Being.

Anyways, Napi and His wife, Kipitaki/Kiipitakii (Old Woman/Old Woman Coyote) were created by Apistotoki, which is our word for The Great Unknowable I'm always going on about, the Supreme Divine Source. Apistotoki made Napi and Napi made Everything Else.

Do you mean to say the creation of the earth, or you meant Napi in general? Apistotoki was never made. Apistotoki just Is. Apistotoki, Who is genderless is also embodied in Its other name (which is also a concept to Blackfoot people): Iihtsipaitapiiyo'pa which means "Source of Life"
    "Ba ar pet sat ar ta"
    Spiritual blog:

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix_Falls View Post
    Napi (Naapi in the Blood dialect), whose name is translated as Old Man (also called Old Man Coyote though His name doesn't mean that), but in Old Blackfoot, His name actually means Dawn Colored Man, referring to the color of His hair, which is white (incidentally, white people are collectively called Napikoan which means "Old Man People" but it's not the religious connotation of Napi's name by itself).

The Sun, called Natosi is thought by many familiar with Blackfoot theology to have replaced Napi as the central Creator god, but Napi and Natosi are the same Being.

Anyways, Napi and His wife, Kipitaki/Kiipitakii (Old Woman/Old Woman Coyote) were created by Apistotoki, which is our word for The Great Unknowable I'm always going on about, the Supreme Divine Source. Apistotoki made Napi and Napi made Everything Else.

Do you mean to say the creation of the earth, or you meant Napi in general? Apistotoki was never made. Apistotoki just Is. Apistotoki, Who is genderless is also embodied in Its other name (which is also a concept to Blackfoot people): Iihtsipaitapiiyo'pa which means "Source of Life"

Did Napi create the world or only the Niitsitapi?

I feel like a two year old with all these questions!

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast