Thread: Spiritism

Post Spiritism

Anyone here into the philosophy of Spiritism? Not Spiritualism, as that is a religion.

I'm just starting to read about Spiritism and it fits in VERY well with my Christo-Pagan beliefs. I'm glad I discovered it.

Honestly, this is the first I have heard of it; though from a quick glance it seems I've run across references to some of its ideas (as in some of the ideas are expressed in other terms from other beliefs). And the Christian ties will probably ensure that I won't look into it too closely.
    What We have fought and bled for will never be lost to us.

I'm glad your finding something that blends nicely with your path ^_^
    Christina Sparrow

previous MW usernames: VioletStarLizard - lil'BuddhistWich - SunflowerWriter

I am a sparrow, the smallest of songbirds...

Spiritist?

Spiritists, or followers of Spiritism, believe that death is not the end of life. Man continues to live as spirit being who can speak with those living in this world. After death man retains his character and qualities in the spirit world. This knowledge makes man rearrange his values and priorities in life.
    Spiritists abide by the moral teachings of Jesus Christ as contained in the Gospels. Rather than seeing Jesus as a savior of humanity from its sins, they see him as an example of moral perfection to be emulated. Spiritism teaches that man is solely responsible for his conduct, be they good or bad.
    I know most Spiritists claim it to be ‘not a religion’ yet at the same time practice general assembly at predestinated times and places on a regular basis. I have no desire to ’take some ones word for it’ when it comes to personal beliefs. Though they claim no religious practices, it still seems rather ’churchy’ to me to attend predestined meetings and listen to some one else tell me how to be a better me. I believe there is an actual Spiritist church in Alberta Canada.

Some Spritists also believe in reincarnation. Which would appear to cancel out the first part of this post. Yea, who knows? While I hold true to the Trinity, I am a non- religious person and do not feel the need to follow any group, or groups. While a basis for understanding is necessary in any belief; Any movement or belief that follows a prescribed doctrine is religion in my view. I do what I do. No more, no less, no pressure.
    Last edited by tazno; November 3rd, 2010 at 10:05 AM.

Abase, via Nyankumasi Ahenkro, Assin-South District, Central Region, Ghana.
    The theory is pretty sound. It was espoused and expanded thousands of years ago by the egyptians, and in the sophistication of reincarnation, the possibility is scientific as well!

Nyeh, I don't really jive with Spiritism. While I believe in spirits and the possibility of communicating with them, I don't believe in ghosts at all--which is, ultimately, what Spiritism suggests human souls or spirits become after death. I can't really reconcile my belief in reincarnation with the concept of ghosts.
    Though I can respect its influence in sparking interest in the later Occult movement, from which flowed neopaganism and my religion--Wicca--and for its teachings on human responsibility. Though the latter you can get from other philosophies.