Thread: Book recs?

Book recs?

Are there any books out there that at least give a good idea of Trad. Witchcraft that you would recommend? I would like to learn more about it and reading up on it is the best way for me but I'm not sure what books are the best.

Thanks!
    Maggie in the Mead {blog}

"I met a lady in the meads,
    Full beautiful - a faery’s child,
    Her hair was long, her foot was light,
    And her eyes were wild.
    "
    -John Keats (La Belle Dame sans Merci)

The Call of the Horned Piper by Nigel Jackson -- Probably one of the best books to start with.

Pillars of Tubal Cain by Nigel Jackson and Michael Howard -- this deals with the Luciferian stream of Trad Craft; it's an amazing book.

Light from the Shadows: A Mythos of Modern Traditional Witchcraft by Gwyn -- aka Michael Howard, a general introduction to TW.

Hedge-Rider: Witches and the Underworld by Eric De Vries

A Grimoire for Modern Cunning Folk: A Practical Guide to Witchcraft on the Crooked Path by Peter Paddon -- Clearly written and practical intro.

The Witching Way of Hollow Hill
    by Robin Artisson -- he's a controversial figure but I think his stuff is well worth reading.

Needless to say, historical works, folklore etc are important reading as well. The books about Robert Cochrane are also excellent.
    Everything is right for me, which is right for you, O Universe.
    Nothing for me is too early or too late, which comes in due time for you.
    Everything is fruit to me which your seasons bring, O Nature.
    From you are all things, in you are all things, to you all things return.

Marcus Aurelius

Thanks so much!

And her eyes were wild.
    "

Since I have started this thread I have been reading through several books that I have been able to find online like Leland's Aradia and Gypsy works and The Golden Bough. I also found some of Robert Cochrane's letters. I just wanted to share these links for anyone else that is curious!

And her eyes were wild.
    "

A Pagan Bookworm has a nice list of book you might want to read, too

http://paganbookworm.com/book-lists/...al-witchcraft/

Quote Originally Posted by eardcwen View Post
    A Pagan Bookworm has a nice list of book you might want to read, too

http://paganbookworm.com/book-lists/...al-witchcraft/
    Thanks for posting the link. I'm going to bookmark it so that I don't have to search for it. I'm getting both A Grimoire for Modern Cunning Folk and The Call of the Piper. Both I've ordered from 13moons and will be sending payment off tomorrow. Once I've read those then I'll get the others. However some of them I'll have to get from the UK Amazon and that means handling pounds for the first time.

A Grimoire for Modern Cunning Folk is a really great book, especially as Peter bases the book off his personal practice and the practice of his coven, which is Welsh. Even if your not interested in Welsh based TW, the exercises he describes in the book are bound to be very helpful.

I just ordered Cunning Folk and Familiar Spirits: Shamanistic Visionary Traditions in Early Modern British Witchcraft and Magic. I'm seriously looking forward to reading it!

Quote Originally Posted by eardcwen View Post
    A Grimoire for Modern Cunning Folk is a really great book, especially as Peter bases the book off his personal practice and the practice of his coven, which is Welsh. Even if your not interested in Welsh based TW, the exercises he describes in the book are bound to be very helpful.

I just ordered Cunning Folk and Familiar Spirits: Shamanistic Visionary Traditions in Early Modern British Witchcraft and Magic. I'm seriously looking forward to reading it!
    I'm interested in all forms of TW and I really want that book that your getting. I was thinking about ordering it this week as well from Barnes and Noble. Those three books will keep me busy for a couple of months.