Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Finding wood to make your runes with

Quote Originally Posted by StarlitNox View Post
    I've only had cheap glass runes that I made myself... wouldn't wooden ones dry out over time and flake? I want wooden ones ;A;
    No more than your table or chairs would! Before using wood to make runes, it should be allowed to dry and cure properly. Then, to protect them, you can seal the with a very thin layer of clear coat. That's how my runes are.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ~*~
    There are no surprises in life, just us closing our eyes to reality. - Me.
    Quantum frying pans fit anywhere. - Me.

~*~
    I read Tarot cards and Oracle cards and Runes and Pendulums and little colored gems that represent the elements. And I believe that they tell the truth. I believe that faeries are real, and that they talk to me. I also know that I'm at least 50% insane. And I'm okay with that. I won't judge you. But you can judge me all you want. I'll just tell you to stuff it where the sun don't shine. And I'll smile while I'm saying it, and offer you homemade fudge and soft pretzels.

Quote Originally Posted by aranarose View Post
    No more than your table or chairs would! Before using wood to make runes, it should be allowed to dry and cure properly. Then, to protect them, you can seal the with a very thin layer of clear coat. That's how my runes are.
    o.o There's more to making wooden runes than I thought. I need to look into it... those runes are so pretty. *drool*
    My only issue is I don't like taking wood that's still attached to the tree... Personal rule, like I don't pick flowers/leaves, but I take them off the ground. I like to say I take Mother Nature's leftovers when She's done with them. XD
    Finding enough of the same wood to make a complete set, including the ones I mess up and have to re-do, will be a pain, but I'm gonna. >: D Now, to find a thread here about the process of making them~! *searchsearch* I love DIY. So does my wallet.

Quote Originally Posted by StarlitNox View Post
    o.o There's more to making wooden runes than I thought. I need to look into it... those runes are so pretty. *drool*
    My only issue is I don't like taking wood that's still attached to the tree... Personal rule, like I don't pick flowers/leaves, but I take them off the ground. I like to say I take Mother Nature's leftovers when She's done with them. XD
    Finding enough of the same wood to make a complete set, including the ones I mess up and have to re-do, will be a pain, but I'm gonna. >: D Now, to find a thread here about the process of making them~! *searchsearch* I love DIY. So does my wallet.
    That set I ordered from an awesome seller on Etsy. She does fantastic work; better than I could ever hope to! And I've bonded quite well with these runes

I live down the street from a park that still has some wooded area to it. Not a lot, but some. There are always fallen branches. I should go down there one of these days and see what I can find! All you really need is a branch that's about an inch or so in diameter, and then just cut it into thin disks, burn or engrave the runes on the disks somehow, and you're good to go. The clear coat is not absolutely necessary, but it adds a layer of protection. Some people prefer their runes unvarnished, uncoated, completely natural.

If they do wear out? Then you retire them and make a new set!
    ~*~
    There are no surprises in life, just us closing our eyes to reality. - Me.
    Quantum frying pans fit anywhere. - Me.

~*~
    I read Tarot cards and Oracle cards and Runes and Pendulums and little colored gems that represent the elements. And I believe that they tell the truth. I believe that faeries are real, and that they talk to me. I also know that I'm at least 50% insane. And I'm okay with that. I won't judge you. But you can judge me all you want. I'll just tell you to stuff it where the sun don't shine. And I'll smile while I'm saying it, and offer you homemade fudge and soft pretzels.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2