Thread: the practical side of things

the practical side of things

Hi everybody, I'm new to this thread but a pagan for about 2 years. I have kind of fallen into kitchen witchery and away from wicca which I was first introduced to.

I LOVE meeting new people, I LOVE exchanging recipes and I'm hungry to learn from anyone who'll take a minute to talk to me. My email is bearofthebrook@gmail.com

Ok now the real question:

I want to make soaps or lotions for friends for Yule as I am super poor and love the idea of a homemade gifts. I know how to make diluted oils with veggie or olive oil, but I've never made anything like this before.

Are there any good how too books you know of for this kind of instruction? I have all of Cunningham's herbs books but he never goes into balms salves or anything like that.

I also wanted to do it from scratch, and with a more spiritual end to it. I don't want to just buy a soap kit.

Thanks a bunch!

Bear

See www.pvsoap.com/recipe-gallery for lots of recipes, these can be adapted using magickal correspondences for ingredients.

There used to be a large recipes section at the site SnowDriftFarm maybe the archive of recipes is somewhere online. If anyone finds it, post a link.

Soap making in particular can be as difficult or as simple as you want to make it. There are a number of places you can buy a soap base and then melt down, and add your various color, scent and herbal components. If you want to make your own soap, it isn't rediculously difficult, but it's not really cheep and you will need lye to form the glycerin. Not that there isn't anything wrong inherently with lye, but it is a distilled chemical. So I would look into reactions and probably build the soap base first and then melt it again later to add fragrance/herbs. It will also be work looking into how the herbs you are thinking of react to heat and if that reaction changes when combined with other herbs. Other than that, there are a number of homesteading, and diy sites that can show you how to make these types of products. As long as your potion making includes the chemistry aspect, the making will be fairly straightforward especially since, if you what it to be magic, you would probably have to charge it later anyway.

I thought about doing melt and pour soap for a while, but I have way too many hobbies, crafts to add another one. I do melt leftover bits and make garden soap, grating the bits adding just a little water dries in about 1 week.

Quote Originally Posted by Morganite9Violet View Post
    I thought about doing melt and pour soap for a while, but I have way too many hobbies, crafts to add another one.
    This.... plus as with everything else, you have to have space to do this, and currently I don't have the space. Rooms are too small, can't leave anything out for any length of time. But I am sure that your soap will be amazing!!

Thinking of perhaps making a few melt and pour soaps this fall/autumn. Just as one time thing only. Trying to not add more hobbies to my list. I watch Youtube Royalty Soaps for inspiration pretty soaps.
    Last edited by Morganite9Violet; September 24th, 2018 at 09:02 AM.