Thread: Psychic Kids

Psychic Kids

Anyone like to watch Psychic kids?
    I cannot get enough,haha!
    I think that the psychic guide Chip Coffey has a mostly Christian perspective,although show this week had smudging with sage as their Native American get rid of spooks technique.
    Anyone think their kids are psychic?Mine is only a bit over 2 so we will see

It's nice to see that kids these days have somewhere to turn with the issues, and critisms that comes along with having gifts.

Shyla

You know, I do have some issues with this show.

I realize that it is largely edited, so I'm not sure how much we're actually seeing in terms of therapeutic intervention....but these kids are scared and traumatized by their abilities. Their parents (if not gifted themselves), have no idea how to help them.

It takes more than a weekend to get these families in order and have the family be supportive in general...particularly if there are other (ungifted) children in the house who feel the focus is all on the psychic sibling.

I am wondering how much of a Psychological assessment is being made on these kids. Panic Disorder, Anxiety Disorder, etc are not really being addressed....and if these kids have this disorder, throwing them into the middle of a haunted house with the lights off without any sort of smaller exposures is irresponsible. And from what a lot of these kids described - they do have high levels of anxiety if not a full on Disorder that requires intensive therapy and/or medication.

Also, I'm not sure I really like the idea of having these kids exposed to malicious entities when they are not aware of how to protect themselves. I saw an episode where one child in particular was up against a nasty, and while the adults there felt they could protect her, it was the child the thing was focused on. Not cool. It takes training to learn how to deal with these things. Once again, a weekend isn't enough.

I watch the show every week, though...and I feel for these kids. I think that the show is just a bandaid. These kids need to be worked with over the long term, and with a great deal more intensive therapy.
    "The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common:
    instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,
    which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that need altering."

is offline SEXY conservative asshole with a heart
    wow, we have people incouraging kids in telling them they are special...that is the problem today, too many kids think they are special. Sadly, I will likely be paying for their psychologist one day when they realize there is no money in pottery.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Twinkle View Post
    You know, I do have some issues with this show.

I realize that it is largely edited, so I'm not sure how much we're actually seeing in terms of therapeutic intervention....but these kids are scared and traumatized by their abilities. Their parents (if not gifted themselves), have no idea how to help them.

It takes more than a weekend to get these families in order and have the family be supportive in general...particularly if there are other (ungifted) children in the house who feel the focus is all on the psychic sibling.

I am wondering how much of a Psychological assessment is being made on these kids. Panic Disorder, Anxiety Disorder, etc are not really being addressed....and if these kids have this disorder, throwing them into the middle of a haunted house with the lights off without any sort of smaller exposures is irresponsible. And from what a lot of these kids described - they do have high levels of anxiety if not a full on Disorder that requires intensive therapy and/or medication.

Also, I'm not sure I really like the idea of having these kids exposed to malicious entities when they are not aware of how to protect themselves. I saw an episode where one child in particular was up against a nasty, and while the adults there felt they could protect her, it was the child the thing was focused on. Not cool. It takes training to learn how to deal with these things. Once again, a weekend isn't enough.

I watch the show every week, though...and I feel for these kids. I think that the show is just a bandaid. These kids need to be worked with over the long term, and with a great deal more intensive therapy.
    True, I see your point.
    Hopefully the parents encourage some form of support for these kids. Although, just from what is portrayed in the taping weekend and the 2 months after the kids seem less fearful and more confident all around. It seems their prior lives were much more depressing and hopeless,and that the intervention seems like a positive change comparatively.
    Who knows if they have any effects from their spooky detective work.

Quote Originally Posted by memnoch View Post
    wow, we have people incouraging kids in telling them they are special...that is the problem today, too many kids think they are special. Sadly, I will likely be paying for their psychologist one day when they realize there is no money in pottery.
    teehee, you sound just like a friend of mine

Quote Originally Posted by memnoch View Post

*shrugs* Psychic abilities are different from the Indigo Children...those kids are just ill behaved brats that need firm discipline and parents using the term to make excuses for poor parenting and bad behavior.

While I would agree that psi abilities have never really held up under objective scientific testing - I can't say they don't exist, either.

Working under the assumption that perhaps they *are* gifted with psi abilities, they still need to learn how to function normally in *this* world....and that means they would need psychological intervention and assessment, whether they are truly gifted, or not.

They are obviously not functioning well, or they wouldn't be on the show in the first place.

ETA: This is really not putting a "special" label on kids. It's more about kids (good kids) that are dealing with experiences that they do not understand and are afraid of. How much of it is *real*, and how much of it is an emotional/mental issue is more of what's important, here.

Encouraging psychosis is not good.

If it's not delusion, then putting kids in situations they are not prepared to handle is not good, either.
    Last edited by Twinkle; November 15th, 2010 at 11:57 PM.
    "The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common:
    instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,
    which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that need altering."

Quote Originally Posted by Twinkle View Post
    *shrugs* Psychic abilities are different from the Indigo Children...those kids are just ill behaved brats that need firm discipline and parents using the term to make excuses for poor parenting and bad behavior.

While I would agree that psi abilities have never really held up under objective scientific testing - I can't say they don't exist, either.

Working under the assumption that perhaps they *are* gifted with psi abilities, they still need to learn how to function normally in *this* world....and that means they would need psychological intervention and assessment, whether they are truly gifted, or not.

They are obviously not functioning well, or they wouldn't be on the show in the first place.

ETA: This is really not putting a "special" label on kids. It's more about kids (good kids) that are dealing with experiences that they do not understand and are afraid of. How much of it is *real*, and how much of it is an emotional/mental issue is more of what's important, here.

Encouraging psychosis is not good.

If it's not delusion, then putting kids in situations they are not prepared to handle is not good, either.
    thanks for your thoughtful response, I also agree that is not really about making these kids special. It seems to be about empowering them and allowing them to integrate their gifts so they can leave more fulfilled lives.

As for putting kids in scary situations, I have often wondered why ghost hunting must happen after midnight in complete darkness,do ghosts sleep during the day?

I don't watch TV, so I'd never heard of this show and I *just* started watching this on Netflix yesterday. I've only gone through the first two episodes so far, I'll keep watching it, because it's interesting, but I feel like these people are leaving these kids hanging. I'd like to know what, if any, long term help they're getting. Not to mention, where the psychologist got her accreditation. After all, Dr. Phil is called a doctor, and that man is no psychologist. I think it's good for these kids to meet others with their abilities, but I do feel like this Chip fellow leads them on a little bit. When they go into certain areas with perceived activity, it sounds like he's cajoling them into saying they feel something and group mentality dictates (especially at that age) that when one person says they feel something, everyone else is obligated to say so too.

Who knows, I've only seen two episodes, so maybe it was just those two...but I doubt it. Not when it comes to something as dependent on audience approval as a TV show. It also upsets me a little that every time these kids feel anxious or nervous, instead of helping them be able to shield themselves, Chip just says "you're okay." Who knows, they spend a whole weekend together, so maybe the kids are learning shielding techniques, but it'd be nice to know something like that. Target audiences for shows like this would generally have basic knowledge of various supernatural whatsit so I don't think it would really be wasted airtime to just throw in a two minute segment about what Chip is doing to help these kids help themselves.

Seems to me that these kids are being tossed into the ocean and being told to swim ashore when they've only just learned how to float. I'm skeptical about the methods so far, but I can't say the show's not interesting and I'm gonna keep watching it.
    Sat Wepwawet-Yinepu meryt Sekhmet-Hethert
    "Ki'sommkiistomisam waamisookiiksisapoo, noohkohka'pssi kiistinoonnitsitapii"
    "Ba ar pet sat ar ta"
    Spiritual blog:
    Dividing by Zero: Hanging out with God(desse)s