Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Celtic links

Just a quick announcement for those that pay attention to this thread. Clannada na Gadelica is back online and operational. It went offline a couple years ago, but it is honestly one of the best and most informational sites about Gaelic spirituality out there. I highly recommend that anyone interested take a look. They are also selling products through cafepress now and I also recommend that people buy them. Just like MW, they need the money to keep things running.

Seanachaidh - Scottish Folklore

According to my new book "A History of Wales". The Welch are NOT Celtic. They were the at least 1,ooo years before the Celts showed up. This has been proven by new DNA test. So what am I?

Quote Originally Posted by omar
    According to my new book "A History of Wales". The Welch are NOT Celtic. They were the at least 1,ooo years before the Celts showed up. This has been proven by new DNA test. So what am I?
    confused by the difference between ethnicity, language, and culture
    History teaches us this: no-one learns anything from history

My Photo Album ~ pictures n' stuff

EPONA.net ~ a scholarly resource. History and archaeology of the goddess Epona.

Quote Originally Posted by Nantonos
    Thanks and if no one learns anything from history, maybe I should give it up.

and grape juice.

ACK!

so sorry. i think proto-celtic is the word you're looking for. maybe the welsh are related to the basque peoples, nobody really seems to know where they're from, either.

Do you have a link, book, or magazine suggestion about this DNA test. I've read some about it, and seen it hotly debated. There are many who don't think this DNA conclusively proves anything.

If you live in Wales, and speak the language and live the culture, you're still Welsh. The language and culture of the Welsh people is distinctly P-Celtic/Brythonic. Now that doesn't mean that the invading "Celtic" tribes didn't intermarry with people who already lived there (someone clearly did, because many of the henges were present long before the Celtic tribes moved in). It's distinctly possible. After all the Picts of Scotland were also there before the Celtic/Gaelic tribes arrived from Ireland and it is unknown whether they are a proto-Celtic people or if they are even Indo-European (like the Basques), however that didn't prevent intermarriage with the Dal Riadans (Gaels from Ireland), especially after Kenneth MacAlpin (sorry I blanking on his Gaelic name and can only remember the anglicized version at the moment) united the two people into one kingdom. Not to mention that much of the myths of Ireland reflect the battles between the earlier residents of the island with that of the Celtic tribes. I believe that the Welsh myths (I'm not an expert on the Welsh stories) also include this sort of storyline.

Thanks and if no one learns anything from history, maybe I should give it up.
    The quote in my sig is deliberately ironic; if accepted as literally true it immediately becomes false because at least one thing has been learned. So its more of a warning to study history. As more usually expressed "those who do not learn history are condemned to repeat it". So don't give it up.

Getting back to your DNA study - which one? Is it

Michael E. Weale, Deborah A. Weiss, Rolf F. Jager, Neil Bradman, and Mark G. Thomas (2002) Y Chromosome Evidence for Anglo-Saxon Mass Migration, Mol. Biol. Evol. 19(7) pp.10081021

or

Wilson, J. F., D. A. Weiss, M. Richards, M. G. Thomas, N. Bradman, And D. B. Goldstein (2001). Genetic evidence for different male and female roles during cultural transitions in the British Isles. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 98 pp. 50785083

or some other one?
    Last edited by Nantonos; July 15th, 2005 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mothwench
    i think proto-celtic is the word you're looking for. maybe the welsh are related to the basque peoples, nobody really seems to know where they're from, either.
    omg, someone has kidnapped mothy and replaced her by a fluffy bunny.

We know where the Basque people are from - largely where they are now. We also know where the Welsh people are from, largely where they are now. In other words, cultural change does not require wholesale population replacement.
    Archaeological report from 3005:

Studies show that in the period 1930 to 1950, there was a large imigration of the Coca-Cola people, who in turn were defeated by a later immigration of the iPod people. So far we have not found the mass graves and battlefield sites for these two invasions, and need more research funding to locate them.

omg, someone has kidnapped mothy and replaced her by a fluffy bunny.
    Is she soft and fuzzy? ~pets mothy~ I shall love her and hug her and squeeze her and call her George.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast