Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Celtic links

no! call me mabel.

Quote Originally Posted by mothwench
    no! call me mabel.
    I was actually thinking of Madame Grenouille, but then that made me think of the Magic Roundabout.

Did we work out which genetics paper was being discussed?
    History teaches us this: no-one learns anything from history

My Photo Album ~ pictures n' stuff

EPONA.net ~ a scholarly resource. History and archaeology of the goddess Epona.

Okay...."I will love her and hug her and squeeze her and call her Mabel!"

Quote Originally Posted by Nantonos
    omg, someone has kidnapped mothy and replaced her by a fluffy bunny.

We know where the Basque people are from - largely where they are now. We also know where the Welsh people are from, largely where they are now. In other words, cultural change does not require wholesale population replacement.
    Archaeological report from 3005:

Studies show that in the period 1930 to 1950, there was a large imigration of the Coca-Cola people, who in turn were defeated by a later immigration of the iPod people. So far we have not found the mass graves and battlefield sites for these two invasions, and need more research funding to locate them.
    i read something about the basque language not being related to any other languages around the vicinity of their country, the only ties that had been found were with finnish and hungarian.
    they also told us that in spanish class... must have been a very fluffy spanish class, i only made a translators degree there.

*throws fluff at nantonos*

But that doesn't mean we don't know where the Basques came from, just not sure where their language came from.

I have heard that about the Basque's before though. I've also heard that there are some people who have suggested a link between the Basque's and the Picts. ~shrugs~

And no, Nantonos, we've not determined which article. We are waiting for omar to return and tell us.

do you think they invented their language? my brother and i used to invent languages, when we were little. no-one had a clue what we were saying... including ourselves.

do you think they invented their language? my brother and i used to invent languages, when we were little. no-one had a clue what we were saying... including ourselves.
    No...I think maybe it's possible that the other branches of the language died out, leaving us confused seeing as it's surrounded by Indo-European languages and it's not one.

But after a manner aren't all languages just "made-up?"

i read something about the basque language not being related to any other languages around the vicinity of their country, the only ties that had been found were with finnish and hungarian.
    Right (and the links with Finnish/Hungarian are dubious, but yes, Basque and Finno-Hungarian are both non-IE languages).
    However, the question was not about the family tree of languages, but about ethnicity.
    they also told us that in spanish class... must have been a very fluffy spanish class, i only made a translators degree there.
    My point being that, although you are a very fine translator, passing the class made no difference to your genetic structure or your place of birth. Language and ethnicity are not causally related. So 'no-one knows where the Basque language fits in the language tree' and 'no-one knows where the Basques are from' are not equivalent statements.

Quote Originally Posted by Nantonos
    Right (and the links with Finnish/Hungarian are dubious, but yes, Basque and Finno-Hungarian are both non-IE languages).

My point being that, although you are a very fine translator, passing the class made no difference to your genetic structure or your place of birth.
    what is wrong with you today? i never said i was basque.
    Language and ethnicity are not causally related.
    why not? apparently the basques are one of the few that kept their language as it is, and left it free of latin and arabic influences, which make up most of the spanish language.
    So 'no-one knows where the Basque language fits in the language tree' and 'no-one knows where the Basques are from' are not equivalent statements.
    well, that's how we were taught about the basques, so...

i guess it makes no difference, in the celtic links thread. it's just weird getting jumped on specially since i made a very harmless comment starting with the word maybe.

what is wrong with you today? i never said i was basque.
    I didn't say you were either.
    why not?
    As I said, once you learned new languages, your genetic structure did not change nor did your place of birth. Genetics and language knowledge are not causally related. Thus, a population can take on a new language, or a new cultural component, without having to entirely replace that population with a different one from a different place or with different genetic makeup.

Which is not to say that there isn't often a correlation between them. But correlatio is an association, not a cause.

it's just weird getting jumped on specially since i made a very harmless comment starting with the word maybe.
    jumped on.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast