Thread: new problem with meditation.

new problem with meditation.

Last night A girl from my circle and I were going to do joint meditation. We had candles and incense and Lots of sage. We had no issues clearing our minds and all that good stuff. The main problem is one I've never experienced and cant find anything by doing a web search. but here's the problem.

Im sure can imagine how dog feels when he's on a leash and trying to get a treat from off of the ground just a foot away. He can smell it, taste it even, but something or someone keeps pulling you away from it. It was very odd. My mind cleared quicker than usual, with is wonderful, but every time I felt myself getting close to zen it felt like something would yank me back. Very odd, Very annoying. Any ideas?

Perhaps people in your circle were pulling it away from you? Maybe you were just nervous? I get nervous meditating with others. Maybe bring it up with the person in charge? See what their opinion is.
    daphne

No one there was pulling it away or distracting anyone cuz it was just me and her, and we both had the same problem. Not to mention im the one in the charge and I have no clue. So I came and asked here.

been there recently in solo meditation and still trying to figure out why and how to fix. hope someone has an idea.

This coming from the perspective of a guy who practices zazen ("zen meditation"): Stop expecting that you'll achieve something in your practice, or that you'll realize anything. The moment you create an expectation is the moment you begin to pursue that very idea you've created, rather than just focusing on the present moment. The goal of zazen is to practice zazen; it is, itself, the enlightened practice of a Buddha. There is nothing to gain, nothing to realize. Just sit. Just sit.

I also get that leash sometimes. i've noticed however that it's easier to break the leash by concentrating my energy and then exploding into a jump. a continual strain will simply tire you while concentrating your chi/energy/whatever will give you strength.
    "All good things are wild and free."
    - Henry David Thoreau