Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Lucky Mojo?

By the way, I am a course graduate and a certified practitioner. I highly recommend the course and the community as a GREAT source of learning in a very important tradition of root work.
    Certified Practitioner - Lucky Mojo Curio Co.

I am planning on taking the course. I do not feel like it is necessarily for me to be a Hoodoo practitioner - but - with few people in my area practicing hoodoo openly, it is a great opportunity to learn from a well-respected practitioner. Also, I have always wanted to have a spiritual supply/service business and I think that this will also help to prepare me for my long-term goal.

Oh, and I noticed that someone mentioned that they felt kind of uncertain about it being a mail-order course. Well, I do get this concern, but when there is no one to learn from in person, I am grateful the opportunity is available. And I wanted to mention that Miss Cat does offer an apprenticeship program to her graduates.

I too did have some initial apprehension about the purchase requirements, but the truth of the matter is, she has to screen students. She does not want to take on students who are brand new to Hoodoo; she wants students with at least some experience. Aside from issuing a test to potential applicants (which people could and would cheat on), having students purchase a variety of products is the best way to tell if students have used hoodoo products before. As far as the "black person requirement," this is something she does out of respect for tradition. Hoodoo did originate as an African American folk magic practice. I think her goal is to make sure that her students are not ignorant of this fact, and that they are not racist against the very people who were the original Hoodoo practitioners.

This is all just my opinion. I do not know Cat Yronwode personally, so I am not coming to her personal defense--just saying I think there are reasons for why she does what she does.

Hi all,

I know cat and went through the course. The textbook alone is probably the most comprehensive book on hoodoo out there. And cat is a walking encyclopedia of conjure history and technique. Yes, she can go off on people and she is definitely not someone who backs down even when she's wrong. But, all in, I think Lucky Mojo is a decent shop with a lot of sincere people connected to it. Her reasoning behind that "talk to an African American" hw assignment is that she gets a lot of students who are completely ignorant of black culture and that's the primary cultural home of rootwork and conjure. So she wants people to understand the living history. That said, she also does a lot of non-magical cultural awareness-raising through her shop and online--for a whole lot of different cultures. So a person may not like her style, but I say if you want an extremely SOLID foundation in hoodoo and you want to take a course, you can't do better.

Dr. Mike

I have never taken her classes and can not speak about her either way as a teacher. Nor have I ever met her. I know the books bearing her name have great herbal formulas in them and that they are legit, and having seen old mailing list and other posts under name that she does come across as being very knowledgable. I know she is well respect for what she knows and have never heard any complaints over purchases at LuckyMojo,which while I personaly find the navigation of the site to be horrible, is also a valuable resource for knowledge and to the point regarding it.

Quote Originally Posted by EavanStar View Post
    Has anyone here taken or recommend Cat Y's (of Lucky Mojo) correspondence course for Hoodoo? The concept of a correspondence course for something like this sounds kinda wonky, but I have no one in my area to look to for guidance and feel like this may be a good jumping off point.

Id appreciate any opinions even if its just a "I wouldnt do it." Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Godgifu View Post
    You can only join her class if you buy a certain amount of stuff from her store first -- that's kind of off-putting to me. She claims it's to ensure you're familiar with the items, but often I don't want to buy her stuff because I already make my own, but still you have to have proof of having bought certain goods from her.

And then some of the homework assignments (like "talk to a random black person about hoodoo") make me uncomfortable, since there aren't many black people around where I live (we've got a higher percentage of Tibetans than blacks) and I'm certainly not close enough with the one I can think of that asking such things wouldn't be kind of inappropriate.

I know folks who've taken the course and seem okay with it. The only reason I ever really considered it was to be able to join the AIRR since that's as much of a certification of legitimacy as there is for magical practitioners.
    The only racist thing about that is the assumption that any black person would know about or even have an opinnion on Hoodoo,
    The ignorant thing about it is the notion that Hoodoo comes stricly out of African sorces, it doesn't
    It is a new world hodgepodge of African, native, and mountain herbal coming from the old world.
    If we however are talking about hoodoo in the context of those of African ancestry practicing hoodoo, of hoodoo in that community and tradition then yeah it is a good idea to talk to those practitioners. If that is what she is teaching then I see the point of that for sure.

The rquirement of having so you buy so much stuff from the shop does come up as a red fllag. It isnt like she knows you did the work just because you bought the materials. I mean there is no way for her to obseve in person how familiar you are with them,she can only test your conceptual knowledge online. I suppose this is why while I see the value in correspondence that you cant fully teach over the internet.
    Tsalagi Nvwoti Didahnvwesgi Ale Didahnesesgi
    (Cherokee medicine practitioner of left and right hand paths)
    anikutani.stfu-kthx.net - The Anikutani Tradition

Quote Originally Posted by DracoJesi View Post
    The only racist thing about that is the assumption that any black person would know about or even have an opinnion on Hoodoo,
    The ignorant thing about it is the notion that Hoodoo comes stricly out of African sorces, it doesn't
    It is a new world hodgepodge of African, native, and mountain herbal coming from the old world.
    If we however are talking about hoodoo in the context of those of African ancestry practicing hoodoo, of hoodoo in that community and tradition then yeah it is a good idea to talk to those practitioners. If that is what she is teaching then I see the point of that for sure.
    You make some good points here. I think she mostly teaches the African American tradition because that's what she learned. But I agree with you on the hodgepodge. In fact, I think that's how hoodoo reflects the diversity of North America--in its tragedy and in its good ways, too.

Oh wow this got resurrected. I am a Lucky mojo grad and I got a lot out of it. I did do it at a time when you didn't have to buy much so I don't know what the requirements are now. I do think they seem a little excessive. But I think it's a solid course that gives you a great idea of what Hoodoo historically. As far as the whole talk to a black person thing. The whole point is to make sure you are actually willing to talk to black people. You'd be surprised at how often people feel uncomfortable. It happens with a lot of ATR's. No not every black person practices but the point of the gathering folk info is to get you to think in a more folkloric way. For example my friend doesn't practice but she accidentally brushed my feat with a broom and apologized because it was bad luck. That wasn't a spell or anything but it certainly counts. You could probably just read her pages and her forum if you just wanted info. Plus some grads do youtube videos like Madame Pamita for example.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2