Thread: A Companion on the Non-Theistic Path.

A Companion on the Non-Theistic Path.

hello my fellow non-theists. i have a personal story to share, as well as a question or two for you all.

though i am usually glad for the freedom and privacy of solitary practice, lately i've been a bit lonely on my path -- it's not everyday you come across another agnostic pagan looking for a spiritual study buddy, so i didn't think it was realistic to hope to find one.
    as it turns out, the best person for me to practice with does not identify as pagan or agnostic. she has been my best friend for over fifteen years, and we only just discovered how deeply similar our beliefs are and how well our spiritual energies work together. we decided to start practicing together -- with meditations and rituals so far -- and to teach and learn from each other. i've never had a spiritual or religious community, so i'm really excited to have this kind of connection, especially with my most trusted friend. i'm still going to do plenty of things on my own, but i'm very grateful to be able to share this aspect of my life with another person at this point.

as for my questions for you...

from what i can tell, most non-theist pagans go solo; if you do, is it a preference or a lack of others who share your beliefs? if you have or currently do practice with others, how did you find them? what kinds of challenges have you come across?

i would love to hear any advice, stories, and just general thoughts you have about practicing non-theistic paths with other people.

i know we're a small and varied bunch in this specific forum, but i hope people will reply -- i will certainly look forward to reading anything you have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by onyxkatze View Post
    is it a preference or a lack of others who share your beliefs? .
    lack of others

Quote Originally Posted by Gladeflower View Post
    lack of others

if you could, how many others would you want to practice with?

is offline I was not born under a rhyming planet.
    While people might not consider me a pagan of any kind, the rituals, meditations and exercises I do, I do alone by choice. Every once in a while I invite my husband.
    Previously known as Njorun Alma

"A mind of the calibre of mine cannot derive its nutriment from cows." - George Bernard Shaw

When I moved away from Christianity over 25 years ago, I followed an essentially non-theistic path. The people with whom I shared spiritual ideas, where my fellow students and teacher in my martial arts class. We studied a Chinese / Japanese offshoot of the Godai system. So what spirituality and meditation I praccticed, I shared with them.

2 decades later I first learned about Paganism, and saw how well that fitted with what I already believed and knew. That allowed me to interact with way more people.

I don't do ritual.
    Xentor, your friendly-neighbourhood Checkerist
    Contact me | The Dialogues on Checkerism

I run the @anonywicks accounts on Twitter, Tumblr, and Instagram. Pagans present!

Quote Originally Posted by onyxkatze View Post
    if you could, how many others would you want to practice with?
    I lead a pretty non-theistic path myself. I may have started out Wiccan (through lack options more than choice), but if I deal with any gods or goddesses nowadays it's because I'm attempting to hone in on specific energy (I'm a soft-polythe-pandeist, or whatever. I think they're all archetypes and that gods are the universe).

I'm not entirely sure I'd want to work with others. I've been solitary for so long, but it does sound enticing at times. I think, personally, if nothing else, I'd like to have a network of likemindedness (I am trying to start an all-paths study group) to maybe do some meditation or energy raising with, but I do like doing rituals (at least the ones I do do) alone.

Save for the cross-quarter sabbats, they're just big parties to me. I see the equinoxes and solstices as more important, so in that case I don't think I'd mind working with others. Just think of the feast afterwards!