Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: tiny altar

tiny altar

i'm getting a little frustrated with my miniature apartment! my boyfriend just moved in which is great but with him moving in i had to give up my second dresser that i was using as an altar. it's kind of a bummer. i moved my altar, at least some of it, to the top of my other dresser but it shares space now with my jewelry box and other accessories. anyone have any tips for creating an altar in a really small space? i'm considering a shelf on the wall but i don't know how to make that really special.

also - yule altar tips would be appreciated! this is my first yule that i am celebrating as a witch.
    - e

- breathe.dance.love.laugh -

I have a lot of traffic through the house with my kids and their friends. I put a small silver candle for the Goddess, a small offering bowl in the center, and an incense holder for the God. It seems to work pretty well for me. Some of my family who don't agree with my beliefs don't even recognize my altar, they just think it is a candle and incense. Hope this helps.
    Bormyo

Depending on how big your altar was before, you may want to get a small flat trunk (you can get them at craft stores). This way you can store your items inside while keeping it tucked away when not in use. Another suggestion is a wooden tray table. I used one for years! The great thing is it collapses and if you have a spare drawer, you can store your stuff in there. Keeping it right where it is with your other belongings is not a bad thing either, so if it fits and is practical, that works. As far as a Yule altar, if you get a tree, save the trimmings to decorate your altar. I usually will set aside some frankincense and myrrh for the Horned God, as well as gold colored stones. You can also pick up some red and green candles, pine scented candles and a simple stag statue. Most stores will have them this time of year pretty cheap in various sizes. One thing I do is dry some of the pine needles from my tree and burn them as incense the next year (my practical version of burning the Yule log). Get as simple or as elaborate as speaks to you. I hope that helps!

This one is actually pretty cute, small and very practical. Also...it comes with a free drawing book! Lol.

See! Win, win! Heheee!

Quote Originally Posted by The RedLion View Post
    Every (traditional-ish) altar I've ever had has been in something like this. Personally, I think they're great. Storage + altar surface = consolidation. But I will say (and this isn't something that bothers me) they can be a bit tricky if you want a more permanent setup, especially the ones that have flip lids.

I have been using this right now: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70127977 It's awesome because it slides, so I can keep whichever setup I might have (which is rarer these days) and still get access to my tools, tricks and books. Ikea, a witch's best friend.

I'm quite lucky right now to have a big room with a fire place so I use that as my altar. However, when I'm at home I use a chest like the ones above - its really great for storing things and doubling as an altar, plus once everything's packed away it just looks like a piece of furniture. I adore mine.

But I've also used other spaces - if you have a sheltered garden for instance, maybe an outside altar? I've also used a large window ledge before. Also, at one point, I simply had an altar cloth that I spread out on the floor and cleared away once I was done.

As for Yule, I love to have everything white and pristine, with a splash of colour, yellows, oranges and reds to represent the sun - things like coloured candles and winter flowers feel really fresh and hopeful when put against a white altar cloth. I also like to have a small mirror on the altar to reflect the light.

thanks everyone for your suggestions. i think i'll stick with leaving it where it is for now but with the intention of getting a chest so that i can do some more blatantly pagan decor with it and not leave it out for others who don't agree with my path.

love the idea of saving trimmings from the tree to burn the next year, i'll have to do that when i have a big enough apartment to get a tree! (don't think silver tinsel tree trimmings would be too healthy to burn! )

merry yule eve, everyone!
    - e

- breathe.dance.love.laugh -

Hi scrumpygirl,

Back in my college dorm room days, I made a little basket into an ancestral altar. I kept ancestral photos and jewelry in it, put offerings in it, and changed it out, and it was about the size of a coffee mug.

There's a pic over here: http://lokis-dottir.livejournal.com/83925.html
    --
    Facebook: Wyrd Dottir
    Wyrd Designs Blog @ Pantheon http://www.patheos.com/community/paganportal/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast