Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ancient Aliens

Ancient Aliens

So I recently started reading about possible alien contact from ancient history. I find that idea pretty fascinating and was thrilled to see that the History channel has a show called Ancient Aliens. What do you think about the show and the thought behind it. Do you think that Aliens visiting Earth is a possiblity? I think myself that almost anything is plausible, but would like to hear thoughts and personal ideas about the concept.

Cheers,

Danielle

The History Channel is a joke.

In regards to ancient aliens, while it is certainly possible that we've been visited by extraterrestrial life at some point in human history, the theories proposed by von Daniken and his successors regarding aliens being responsible for various archaeological sites or artifacts tend to boil down to A) a longstanding inability of certain individuals to believe that non-Eurasian people could be responsible for anything more impressive than a grass shack and B) a blunt refusal to accept the possibility of, say, two completely unconnected civilizations realizing that the easiest way to build something really tall is to make it really big at the base (in other words, a pyramid).

It's unscientific nonsense at best, residual racism at worst.

While some of these ancient astronaut theories undermime, play down and look down upon early people, they do find some very strange artifacts that don't make sense. I disagree that humans were incapable of building such amazing monuments and structures. People built lots of amazing sites that we've not been able to copy. I think humans were responsible for making them but that makes it even more mysterious, how did they do it and what did they use? I'm not saying there wasn't any alien intervention but was it alien or something else?
    The only thing that sucks around here is a straw.

This topic fascinates me, too.

I would think that a truly advanced alien species would be too elegant to leave much evidence of its visit. It's the campground rule. They probably even fluff up the grass after they leave.

I tried to read the first book in Zacheria ?? series and I couldn't get into it, I like looking at history with out the religious point of view. It might have gotten better then in the beginning but I was hestitant. I might try it agian if its any good. I dunno I am very leery of reading books like this even if I find it fascinating b/c I am not sure if it's not scewed by the author.

I also read Von Daniken too, but while if I remember correctly he wasn't offering the theories with religious undertones he was pretty high-handed with some of the stuff. Saying well here is a carving it's really bizarre, looks like an astraunaut, so it must be an Alien and any other theory is wrong. That is pretty annoying.

Ugh, finding good educational TV is almost impossible, you just can never tell if its actual facts or crap there just trying to feed us. I hate that, I really do.

I am not sure what I believe. Aliens, Gods coming to earth(though it is said in one of those shows and von daniken's book that Aliens are the reasons for our God/desses myths.) or maybe Giants like are mentioned in the Bible. I find it all interesting, and I do not dismiss one idea for the other, I believe anything is possible. I love a good mystery and this is certainly one of them.

Hope this made some sort of sense=)

Cheers,

Danielle

Quote Originally Posted by Nemyss View Post
    This topic fascinates me, too.

I would think that a truly advanced alien species would be too elegant to leave much evidence of its visit. It's the campground rule. They probably even fluff up the grass after they leave.
    Lol!! That's great It is very fascinating, just a new way of thinking about things I try not too dismiss any possibilities.

Cheers,

Danielle

Quote Originally Posted by Tiberias View Post
    The History Channel is a joke.

In regards to ancient aliens, while it is certainly possible that we've been visited by extraterrestrial life at some point in human history, the theories proposed by von Daniken and his successors regarding aliens being responsible for various archaeological sites or artifacts tend to boil down to A) a longstanding inability of certain individuals to believe that non-Eurasian people could be responsible for anything more impressive than a grass shack and B) a blunt refusal to accept the possibility of, say, two completely unconnected civilizations realizing that the easiest way to build something really tall is to make it really big at the base (in other words, a pyramid).

It's unscientific nonsense at best, residual racism at worst.
    ^^- This, absolutely. The ancient peoples were far more sophisticated than what we have been guessing at for the past century or two, that much is clear from archaeology and anthropology. But chalking that up to what is tantamount to the frickin Go'auld coming down and seeding the earth really makes it sound like human beings are a bunch of idiots who could barely fathom how to use a simple lever and plane, let alone concepts of architecture and geometry. There is hardly any substantial evidence that backs it up, and what evidence there is that a extraterrestrial sentient race may have visited hardly supports this idea. If anything, ancient astronauts more than likely came by, observed us, studied our proto-cultural beginnings and then poofed off so as to 1.) not spook the herd, and 2.) Observe the beginnings of advanced civilization in a young race and try not to ruin it by muddling it up with their influence. If there is one thing this planet is, it's a giant game preserve/protected grassland, not a chance for Gorflrok from Alpha Centari to play Simcity.

So unless dread Cthulhu itself rises from the ocean to release his starspawn, with the skulking hordes of Deep Ones trailing at his feet to have themselves some rape for dinner, ancient and modern aliens probably keep themselves at a healthy arms distance away from trusty homo sapiens.
    and if you want decent programming on History channel, try history international. At least the shows on that channel attempt to be grounded in some sort of good research.

Quote Originally Posted by Serpent View Post
    ^^- This, absolutely. The ancient peoples were far more sophisticated than what we have been guessing at for the past century or two, that much is clear from archaeology and anthropology. But chalking that up to what is tantamount to the frickin Go'auld coming down and seeding the earth really makes it sound like human beings are a bunch of idiots who could barely fathom how to use a simple lever and plane, let alone concepts of architecture and geometry. There is hardly any substantial evidence that backs it up, and what evidence there is that a extraterrestrial sentient race may have visited hardly supports this idea. If anything, ancient astronauts more than likely came by, observed us, studied our proto-cultural beginnings and then poofed off so as to 1.) not spook the herd, and 2.) Observe the beginnings of advanced civilization in a young race and try not to ruin it by muddling it up with their influence. If there is one thing this planet is, it's a giant game preserve/protected grassland, not a chance for Gorflrok from Alpha Centari to play Simcity.

So unless dread Cthulhu itself rises from the ocean to release his starspawn, with the skulking hordes of Deep Ones trailing at his feet to have themselves some rape for dinner, ancient and modern aliens probably keep themselves at a healthy arms distance away from trusty homo sapiens.
    and if you want decent programming on History channel, try history international. At least the shows on that channel attempt to be grounded in some sort of good research.
    The way they put it does sound an awful lot like simcity. I agree with this actually. I don't really think that they seeded us. You know the just observing us makes sense too, maybe they noticed us and checked out what was going on. Maybe we noticed them noticing us and that explains some of the information that they have found, who knows? I believe there is at least a kernal of truth in most things(not All things there are some things I raise a very skeptical eyebrow at) but you just have got to skim through a whole cart load of crap to get to it. People also like to hide stuff and make everything impossible to figure out. The people saying that primitive man was an Idiot who couldn't possibly know anything are probably the same people who say animals have no intelligance as well, which I don't believe.

Cheers,

Danielle

If there is one thing this planet is, it's a giant game preserve/protected grassland, not a chance for Gorflrok from Alpha Centari to play Simcity.
    This made me LOL. I can just imagine it now!
    Available for readings. PM with question!

Most people adopt cats or dogs. I adopt dragons...

Quote Originally Posted by RocknRoll_Goddess85 View Post
    I tried to read the first book in Zacheria ?? series and I couldn't get into it, I like looking at history with out the religious point of view. It might have gotten better then in the beginning but I was hestitant. I might try it agian if its any good. I dunno I am very leery of reading books like this even if I find it fascinating b/c I am not sure if it's not scewed by the author.

I also read Von Daniken too, but while if I remember correctly he wasn't offering the theories with religious undertones he was pretty high-handed with some of the stuff. Saying well here is a carving it's really bizarre, looks like an astraunaut, so it must be an Alien and any other theory is wrong. That is pretty annoying.

Ugh, finding good educational TV is almost impossible, you just can never tell if its actual facts or crap there just trying to feed us. I hate that, I really do.

I am not sure what I believe. Aliens, Gods coming to earth(though it is said in one of those shows and von daniken's book that Aliens are the reasons for our God/desses myths.) or maybe Giants like are mentioned in the Bible. I find it all interesting, and I do not dismiss one idea for the other, I believe anything is possible. I love a good mystery and this is certainly one of them.

Hope this made some sort of sense=)

Cheers,

Danielle
    I have quite a few books on the subject, some by Erich von Daniken. There are many other authors. This page could interest you.

I haven't read any books by Zacharia Sitchin, but I've come across reviews of his work. He passed away in October 2010.
    The only thing that sucks around here is a straw.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast