Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Ancient Aliens

New Iberia, LA desperately seeking real estate in Rivendell
    Quote Originally Posted by RocknRoll_Goddess85 View Post
    So I recently started reading about possible alien contact from ancient history. I find that idea pretty fascinating and was thrilled to see that the History channel has a show called Ancient Aliens. What do you think about the show and the thought behind it.
    I find the show and the whole idea pretty insulting, actually. They almost never do anything on actual history and when they do it's this tabloid crap. There's a little thing in the history field called presentism. Very basically, it's imposing current ideas or values on past cultures. This is what's at work when we see pictures of spaceships in hieroglyphs and such. To eyes steeped in the pop culture of the late 20th and early 21 centuries, the image looks like a spaceship. To the people who actually made the image it looked like something else. Another example is people in the current age of instant gratification finding the idea of people spending years building things like the pyramids with simple copper tools (or Stonehenge with even lower levels of technology) and raw manpower so incomprehensible that they're more willing to believe in alien intervention than human determination.
    "I would rather make the gravest of mistakes than surrender my own judgement." -- Cora Munroe in Last of the Mohicans

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -- Conan the Barbarian in "Tower of the Elephant" by Robert E. Howard

"Moral outrage has little effect on a cat." -- Garrison Keillor

"There aren't many problems than can't be fixed
    with $700 and a .30-06." -- Jeff Cooper. Or maybe it was his daughter Lindy. I can't remember.

Xan hon that last bottom pic there looks like the top half of a boob & a nipple.

FOR THE HORDE!
    "There are many intelligent species in the universe. Some are owned by cats." Anonymous
    www.myspace.com/whitedragonfire1
    AIM: Dedkitty

~you know my motivation, givin my reputation~
    :deviltail

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3