Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How often do you air out your home

I'd have to say off and on throughout the day. My wife opens the door, or leans outside an opened window when she smokes(as winter weather is officially upon us). Other than that, I open the window if I'm frying something on the frying pan. We liked keeping the doors and windows open in the Summer, but now have to be strict about it since we have two indoor cats . One good thing about living in Ireland is that you don't have to worry about poisonous spiders, snakes, or mosquitoes because there are none. You just have to remember not to leave any furniture in the garden or a burst of rain can come soak it without warning

We used to live on a 2nd story flat in the middle of the city centre, and tried to air it out as much as possible or the place would get damp.(We didn't have a window in the bathroom.) Then of course everytime you opened the sliding door, you either heard construction, drunks, or kids, and saw all 3 of them peeing in the middle of the street......oh how I miss it!
    Semper Fidelis

OK, it's winter here too but I HAVE to sleep with the window at least cracked with a fan blowing on me (yes, post menopausal night sweats!) but I do try to open a window or 2 in the rest of the house at least once a week. Other than that it's as often as the weather or my health will allow.
    We are all just visitors to this earth!

Another fine banner by Catiana
    (\_/) (\_/)
    (O.o) ( _ )
    (> <) ( o ) hopping away!
    Green Room Forum Guide
    The MW Kitchen Forum Guide
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

In the AM when I can't turn on the heater for fear of waking my sweetie, I figure it's freezing cold anyway, so I fling open the windows in the living room and let it all air out.

... especially if the cat's had a productive night in the litterbox.

Then, when it's time for the sweetie to get up, I button up the windows and light some incense or a scented candle, and sweeten up the (already nicer) fresh air.

Then the heater gets turned on! WHOOSH! If only it worked better. I swear, a single-wide mobile home should not be that difficult to heat, but I guess it IS a cardboard box with windows and a tin roof.

(Despite how it sounds, I'm very thankful for our house!!!)
    "The cosmos is also within us, we're made of star stuff.
    We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

Carl Sagan, as quoted by The Symphony of Science

is offline I was not born under a rhyming planet.
    Fairly rarely. There are always a few windows permanently open about 5 cm, but we can't do much more than that because we have a cat that we're keeping indoors. We live next to a very well-trafficked road, there are snakes here and there, and I think someone is putting out poison for rats in the neighborhood because there has been some unexplained possum deaths.

He also does not fare well in fights, we've already had to put him on antibiotics once the past year for a possibly infected tail bite.

I'll put him on a harness and give the house a through and through airing every once in a while though, but with all the traffic fumes and shit like that, it doesn't really freshen the place up much at all.
    Previously known as Njorun Alma

"A mind of the calibre of mine cannot derive its nutriment from cows." - George Bernard Shaw

Even when it's in the 20's or lower I still have (it's like a weird thing I have to do) to open the house up for 10 mins. >.>

FOR THE HORDE!
    "There are many intelligent species in the universe. Some are owned by cats." Anonymous
    www.myspace.com/whitedragonfire1
    AIM: Dedkitty

~you know my motivation, givin my reputation~
    :deviltail

I love fresh air inside, and because my unit is old and not well sealed even if it's closed up there fresh air gets in.

It's coming into spring so on the warmer days I leave the front door open with the flyscreen closed to get air flowing through, and during the day I like to have windows open at least a few centimetres to keep a gentle flow going. I have two cats who have a cat flap to get in and out of, but before that I used to leave the window wide open for them.

I feel that fresh air is very, very important and I can't stand sealed homes (however nice-smelling) that feel like they're completely artificial. Even if it's cold I like to have a bit of cool air, and even in forty-degree (celcius) summers I try to catch any breezes.
    ~ the moon goes dark, and chaos has come again ~

I was a creature before I could stand

all this pain is an illusion

I try to air out the house every day for as long as I can. In the summer, I usually have a window cracked so cool air can come in (unless it is super hot at night.) In the winter, I usually leave a window cracked while nobody is home.

We have a window unit named Antartica and a central heating system named Fires Of Hell. We normally don't open up the windows for those reasons--but during the spring and autumn, the breezy periods, we'll open up the windows and put our little screens in so the cats don't play Great Escape starring Steve McQueen, and get a nice waft of air through the household.

We have a problem with the sewer system, though, so we have to be careful we're not opening the windows to let in the stench. Bah! D:
    ---

[you have been visited by a heliotrope]

[hi]

My apartment has been pretty much aired out everyday since June and now that the fall and rainy weather is here it is time to close them for a bit, I am lucky to have my balcony it makes it easy for me to be able to air out the living room and kitchen due to the sliding door. So will still be able to have it open a lot :D

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2