Thread: Grounding/Releasing Between Workings?

Grounding/Releasing Between Workings?

I am not sure if this is the right place for this thread, so if it is not, I apologize.

I am stepping up my personal practice to incorporate it into my life more often, and I am trying to figure out my own "flow" when doing multiple workings at the same time or during the same ritual. I can't figure out whether or not I should ground between each working or just at the beginning and the end of everything. Part of me feels that grounding can be like the ginger when eating sushi, something to cleanse the palate/energies in between the different flavors/types of energy for different workings. Part of me thinks this would be overkill and might actually be distracting to ground so often, say, if one had 3 workings to do in 1 ritual and one was grounding in between each one. Most of my resources that I currently have available to me are not very clear on this other than that grounding is part of the process. Halp?

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
    Last edited by SnowyMoon; December 17th, 2010 at 09:35 AM.
    ~*SnowyMoon*~

Banner created by SkySilver

"Before I knew it I was laughing freely, standing there, snowflakes coating my hair and brushing my face, as I stood still staring at the sky." ~ Melissa Ray Davis

Mooncup Evangelist.

Do what the moment demands.

There are times when I do multiple workings that I may pause and regain the Balance I'm working with. And Sometimes it is like a snowball. The first working starts the whole thing and the energy just keeps building/strengthening what I'm doing. Neither is wrong, and honestly I prefer the snowballing effect (if I have to stop to re-Balance everytime I did something I'd be distracted beyond help) it's alot more fun for me.
    What We have fought and bled for will never be lost to us.

Quote Originally Posted by SnowyMoon View Post
    I am not sure if this is the right place for this thread, so if it is not, I apologize.

I am stepping up my personal practice to incorporate it into my life more often, and I am trying to figure out my own "flow" when doing multiple workings at the same time or during the same ritual. I can't figure out whether or not I should ground between each working or just at the beginning and the end of everything. Part of me feels that grounding can be like the ginger when eating sushi, something to cleanse the palate/energies in between the different flavors/types of energy for different workings. Part of me thinks this would be overkill and might actually be distracting to ground so often, say, if one had 3 workings to do in 1 ritual and one was grounding in between each one. Most of my resources that I currently have available to me are not very clear on this other than that grounding is part of the process. Halp?

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
    From what i've read and understood from talking to other people, there is no right or wrong way, just whatever works best for you.

If you feel fine after doing a working and if you feel like your energies are at their peak, then I would not ground between workings. If you feel drained or overly anxious/jittery/unfocused after doing a working, I'd ground to "calm down" and then try to bring my energy levels up for another working. I would do what your mind and body feels like it should do.

If you feel like you'd need to ground, then maybe it would be beneficial to ground. If you think it will only distract you and distrupt the flow of your ritual, then don't ground.

But after doing more than one working in a single ritual, definitely make sure to ground, eat something, do whatever you need to do.

-Be Witchy- -Be Cute- -Live Happy-

I don't ground, ever, so YMMV. Only you can decide what works best for you.

I would suggest that it depends on the energies involved in each spell. If the effects to desire build on one another, and you feel comfortable doing so, then by all means, don't ground until you are finished with everything.

This would be appropriate if say you are doing a financial success spell for yourself, followed by one for a friend, and then finishing with a spell for the abundance of your garden.

However, if the energies for each of your spell are contradictory, it is best to ground after each one. For example, if are in one fashion or another (forgive me for not providing specific examples) working specifically with the water element, and then with the fire element, it might be best to ground.

Think of it as like preparing a recipe in the kitchen. If you made ham for breakfast there's no reason not to use the same pan to make a stir fry later if you like the idea of ham in your stir fry. Mixing ingredients for a cake in a bowl that has vinegar in it might not turn out so well. Clean your circle if the "ingredients" for one spell don't suit what you plan to do next.

Also, of course, if you can't focus on a healing spell because you're still worrying about the bills you need to pay with that financial success spell, you definitely need to ground. A few minutes of meditation to clear your head would also be wise if this is the case.

I actually wondered the same thing, and I had to think about it for quite a while. I think the reason it doesn't come up is because a lot of people don't have the energy to perform multiple spells in quick succession without the effectiveness of each suffering a little. Do make sure you are ready between each working, if you need to take a break please do so.

May you find what you seek,
    Landra
    "Who has traveled farther, he who has journeyed a thousand miles on the circular path left by all those before him, or he who has taken a single step into the wilderness?" -Me

Everything is relative; truth, reality, ethics... Cousins.

Blog

Proprietor: The Dragon and Sphinx and Art of Creation

Priestess of Hecate

I agree that this is a matter of opinion, but I'd like to add a couple of thoughts.

Many people consider centering, grounding, and cleansing as part of the umbrella-term, "grounding." To center means you balance your energy and consciousness so that you exist only in the present moment. It's a way of clearing your mind and preparing yourself to focus on the sending of energy. Grounding is rooting yourself in your primary state (your resting beta consciousness as you experience it in physical reality) - its purpose in magical work is either to provide an anchor for helping you navigate altered states of consciousness or to transition from altered consciousness back into waking consciousness. Cleansing involves the removal of unwanted energy (it's sort of like grounding yourself in an altered state). These are, of course, just my opinions based on my own experiences.

Therefore, I often center, ground, and cleanse before a rite, then center and cleanse between individual tasks (which, because I'm not grounding, hardly ever disrupts the building or flow of energy), then center and ground (and cleanse only if necessary) afterwards. I do this so that energies stay sealed in their individual workings. Sure, I don't want the fire elemental I summoned to get angry with the undine I summoned afterwards, but the effects can be far subtler. For instance, I wouldn't want to enchant a talisman and then send out a call for a familiar in the same ritual without centering and cleansing first. I might accidentally "protect" (or insulate) myself from finding the familiar - or the familiar might be over-protective - or the call might only get sent the next time I need protected - or, well, lots of crazy things. Sure, energy experiments are cool and there are times when I want energy to mingle during different phases of a larger working, but I usually have purposes for my workings that I don't want mixed.
    Blessings,
    P. Rex

My website: http://www.bookofspirals.com
    My blog: http://www.bookofspirals.com/blog
    An ezine I co-founded: http://spiraltree.weebly.com

An excellent explanation, Scott. Thank you very much.

I don't really need to return myself to waking consciousness, so to speak, very often. What I consider grounding is simply returning energies I no longer need to the earth. I generally combine cleansing with grounding, if I've been exposed to a lot of negative energy, ground it out to get rid of it.

May you find what you seek,
    Landra
    "Who has traveled farther, he who has journeyed a thousand miles on the circular path left by all those before him, or he who has taken a single step into the wilderness?" -Me

Everything is relative; truth, reality, ethics... Cousins.

Blog

Proprietor: The Dragon and Sphinx and Art of Creation

Priestess of Hecate