Thread: possibly a Familiar?

possibly a Familiar?

I am new to the Pagan path & have been reading up on various topics.
    When I read a thread on Familiars, my first thought was "Rory", my female German Shepherd/Lab mix.
    I have several creatures that share my home with me (dogs, ferrets & snakes), but she is special.
    When my ex husband & I went to the puppy rescue to pick out a puppy for him, since the dog we already has was unofficially mine, we were initially looking at one of rory's siblings, that looked more Lab, for him. However, Rory had other ideas. She kept coming over to me & laying down by my feet. We decided she had picked us, so we took her home.
    It was obvious that she had bonded with me, & Zoe, our other dog, shifted to bonding with my ex.
    Rory follows me everywhere in my house. If I'm getting ready for work, she's laying nearby in the bathroom.
    I have a bond with Koda, my male GSD, but it's not quite like what Rory & I have.

I think it is possible for this pet to become a familiar. I'm not sure exactly how it works. Time will tell if you have/can develop a magical/mental connection with them.

is offline talks to animals, real and "imaginary"
    I think the only person who can determine whether or not the dog is a familiar, is you. My way of thinking has always been... if you have to ask, it's probably not a familiar. BUT in this case, I think you already know, and you aren't asking as much as you want reassurance. If the dog "picked you", it's likely.

Be very, very careful with your familiar, though. They are still animals, and can still be hurt. Life and fate won't spare them just because they're special to you. I lost my only true familiar- the one that chose me- after only six months or so. She was killed, deliberately, by a neighbor who had moved in recently. Learned the hard way that he didn't like cats now, didn't I? (He was a policeman, which is the only thing that allowed me to restrain myself from doing something stupid to his rotten ass. Another good reason to care especially well for familiars.)

Quote Originally Posted by Eyeris View Post
    I think it is possible for this pet to become a familiar. I'm not sure exactly how it works. Time will tell if you have/can develop a magical/mental connection with them.
    Thank you for your response.
    Sorry it took me so long to reply, I haven't been on here in a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by patientdragoness View Post
    I think the only person who can determine whether or not the dog is a familiar, is you. My way of thinking has always been... if you have to ask, it's probably not a familiar. BUT in this case, I think you already know, and you aren't asking as much as you want reassurance. If the dog "picked you", it's likely.

Be very, very careful with your familiar, though. They are still animals, and can still be hurt. Life and fate won't spare them just because they're special to you. I lost my only true familiar- the one that chose me- after only six months or so. She was killed, deliberately, by a neighbor who had moved in recently. Learned the hard way that he didn't like cats now, didn't I? (He was a policeman, which is the only thing that allowed me to restrain myself from doing something stupid to his rotten ass. Another good reason to care especially well for familiars.)
    That makes my heart hurt I'm so sorry to hear that you lost your beloved cat to a horrible person.
    I am over protective of my animals, so I've been told. Well, I know I am, especially my dogs. I lost a dog many years ago, when she died of injuried from getting hit by a car. It hurt more than anything to lose her. While I don't dwell on it, I dread losing either one of my dogs.