Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Derby Girls?

Derby Girls?

Anyone here a Derby Girl (or guy)?
    What are your experiances with it? I'm sure if you are you love it, I love it and don't play (though am putting serious consideration into it). How expensive is it to buy all the necessary equipment?
    I'm amused at how little protective equipment is worn in roller derby, considering there is a lot more hitting than the average hockey game, and they were a ton of protective gear, not a part of a hockey players body isn't covered, whereas in derby, seems it's a lot of... skin...
    Any awesome injuries for you who play? Or not so awesome, even... seems that injury is one of the fun parts of the sport too.
    I like someone who is a little crazy but coming from a good place. I think scars are sexy because it means you made a mistake that led to a mess. ~ Angelina Jolie

I'm not, but I love it. I have 2 friends that are derby girls. We have such a blast going to their matches.
    It's been minutes, it's been days. It's been all that I remember. <3

Die hard fan, tickets to every match of the season, my daughter volunteers with our team because she isn't old enough to play and is awaiting the day she can play.

Equipment... you can start low, and most teams have a lot to loan as well, and then upgrade as you get further along into some pretty pricey gear.

"He drew a circle that shut me out
    Heretic, rebel, a thing to flout
    But love and I had the wit to win;
    We drew a circle that took him in."

-- Edwin Markham

I think it's awesome that you guys are both fans :D My mom doesn't want to hear one thing about me wanting to play, she's seen it back when it was on the banked track, before it's popularity died out, now she's quite against her 'baby girl' playing such a dangerous sport. She didn't raise her daughter to do girly things, though, rough and tumble was always my cup of tea a little more.
    Tapestry, yes, our team does have loaner equipment, the pair of skates I used didn't have toe stops and the elbow pads didn't fit properly, they were smalls, which were too big, my wrist guards were smalls, which was fine, and my knee pads were mediums. I kinda wanna use my hockey shin pads, lol.
    I like someone who is a little crazy but coming from a good place. I think scars are sexy because it means you made a mistake that led to a mess. ~ Angelina Jolie

I should be getting started on it in the next year or so, we're getting a local team going.

TWM's Blog

Check out MWMagazine!
    MW FORUM GUIDE - Dreams and Divination + A Pagan's Life.

My one friend's Mom is her biggest fan! Don't get me wrong, she has gotten hurt bad from it (she tore ligaments in her knee) but she's really good at it. I like the whole atmosphere. It's campy but with some punk thrown in, at least at the place I go. The announcers crack me up. It's just such a good time.
    It's been minutes, it's been days. It's been all that I remember. <3

Tomorrow's freshmeat night! Yah I'm going!
    I actually went skating on the lake today with the freshmeat coach today, definately just pumped me even more to jump right in there. She's absoloutly not what you'd picture for a derby girl, at all, lol, she's got this very easy demeanor to her.
    I haven't had opportunity to get to know any of the other girls, but she was very accepting, and knowing someone who'll be there at the practices makes it easier for me to show up, and she's the freshmeat coach, who better to get to know, right?

is offline Duct tape: shutting up people since 1942
    I want to go to a derby!!! KYR We can start a team luv!
    Curing stupidity one flipper smack at a time

Stop cyber stalking...break the pc.

Quote Originally Posted by Neurotic Daffy kid View Post
    I want to go to a derby!!! KYR We can start a team luv!
    Oh hell yes! Though I imagine that has the potential to be dangerous, don't you?

is offline Duct tape: shutting up people since 1942
    Quote Originally Posted by Know Your Rights View Post
    Oh hell yes! Though I imagine that has the potential to be dangerous, don't you?
    Hey it's worth it, and its only dangerous if you can't take a hit.
    Curing stupidity one flipper smack at a time

Stop cyber stalking...break the pc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast