Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Derby Girls?

Heh, I'm the one that got my daughter hooked, I better be willing to let her play. But she's a heck of a girl, I know she might get hurt, but she might get hurt walking to the bus stop. I want her to LIVE, all the way. And be herself, at every moment. I want her eyes to shine with joy and her heart to pound in excitement. Whatever makes that happen is probably okay in my book.

But then, I go from quiet warm confidence to screaming and cheering hellion at a derby match so I may not be the best judge...

Sounds like you met the right person to get you hooked up. I'm sure she knows some great places to get your gear at the best cost. Start thinking up your derby name!
    "He drew a circle that shut me out
    Heretic, rebel, a thing to flout
    But love and I had the wit to win;
    We drew a circle that took him in."

-- Edwin Markham

Quote Originally Posted by tapestry View Post
    Heh, I'm the one that got my daughter hooked, I better be willing to let her play. But she's a heck of a girl, I know she might get hurt, but she might get hurt walking to the bus stop. I want her to LIVE, all the way. And be herself, at every moment. I want her eyes to shine with joy and her heart to pound in excitement. Whatever makes that happen is probably okay in my book.

But then, I go from quiet warm confidence to screaming and cheering hellion at a derby match so I may not be the best judge...

Sounds like you met the right person to get you hooked up. I'm sure she knows some great places to get your gear at the best cost. Start thinking up your derby name!
    I've already started thinking up names, failed at all of them. I like hers, actually, she's Cherri Blaster (Y'know, the candy), it's amusing. And she did have a few suggestions in that regards, rollergirl.ca, I believe, is where she suggested to go.

And NDK... I can take a hit, can you handle it?

Oh, and on that thought, any of you have any thoughts for a derby name?
    Last edited by Know Your Rights; January 4th, 2011 at 12:07 AM.
    “I like someone who is a little crazy but coming from a good place. I think scars are sexy because it means you made a mistake that led to a mess.” ~ Angelina Jolie

is offline Duct tape: shutting up people since 1942
    KYR I can take a licking
    Curing stupidity one flipper smack at a time

Stop cyber stalking...break the pc.

We just formed a local team. I was going to join until I found out it would cost well over $200. I love derby but I've got bills to pay. Maybe next year.
    Amo la mia vita!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yah, it's expensive. It may be something I have to pay for in bits and peices, I've got bills and all that to deal with as well... but sometimes you just have to find a way to do something you love. Even if I only go to freshmeat nights and use loaner equipment for awhile...
    “I like someone who is a little crazy but coming from a good place. I think scars are sexy because it means you made a mistake that led to a mess.” ~ Angelina Jolie

I wish we had loaner equipment...*sigh*
    Amo la mia vita!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I think having loaner equipment is important! Though most of what we have is the cast offs from players who've gotten better stuff, but at least with loaner equipment you don't have to buy the stuff just to try the sport.

The benefit of living in NYC: Gotham Girls Derby League.

I'm not a derby girl myself, I was always an inline skater in my youth, but I'll admit that I'm more than intrigued by it all. I've bene to a few matches/games, and it's awesome. If I ever get this school thing completed and my schedule calms down, I plan on doing some training and maybe a bootcamp. I mean, I love to beat people up, this could be my calling. (Insert evil laugh here)

Well ladies :D I just got back from my second (It should be my first) fresh meat night. And for over 2 hours of skating (plus about a half hour on the ice this morning), I should be exhausted, but I'm not! I am starving, however.
    I gave and took my first hit today, we skated the track and the last one standing won. I wasn't the last one standing, but I still took someone out, and then one of the other freshies took me down, but I took her with me. It was hella good time.
    I think a lot of what we did today can translate to on ice, I hope, I asked our coach that on twitter, so I should get a response soon enough. It's not easy, but it's not hard, you just have to be willing to fall and take a few bumps and bruises along the way. It's a good community, the Dames really cheer each other on and cheer on the freshies. When we were doing the 'last one standing' I came up on someone and all I heard was Cherri yelling 'Come on KYR' (except she used my name) and that just pushed me to make a hit and take the other girl down.
    I think I need to start a journal about this.

And on a side note, sort of... minimal injuries, a popped blister on one ankle due to the boot, a sore backside due to a couple of hard landings, my elbows a little sore from the two buttplants I did (you know, you put your hands down when you fall). The most painful injury happened when I was taking off my skates... I ripped a nail off, down to the bed, it bled a little, stings quite a bit, good thing I'm not all girly about nails :D
    Last edited by Know Your Rights; January 5th, 2011 at 04:05 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2