Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Scented Candles - with a strong fragrance!

Scented Candles - with a strong fragrance!

Wasn't sure which section to put this in, but I use candles & incense to scent the house, so...

Does anyone around here know of a good brand of scented candle which has a natural, but permeating, fragrance? I've tried several mainstream brands of candles, but either they're too chemical-y, or they just aren't as powerful as they claim to be.

I love having candles burning, and I've gotten sensitive to incense smoke lately (I'm asthmatic; it flares from time to time), so I'd love to just have a good, naturally-scented candle.

Any ideas?
    "The cosmos is also within us, we're made of star stuff.
    We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

Carl Sagan, as quoted by The Symphony of Science

Quote Originally Posted by Sequoia View Post
    Wasn't sure which section to put this in, but I use candles & incense to scent the house, so...

Does anyone around here know of a good brand of scented candle which has a natural, but permeating, fragrance? I've tried several mainstream brands of candles, but either they're too chemical-y, or they just aren't as powerful as they claim to be.

I love having candles burning, and I've gotten sensitive to incense smoke lately (I'm asthmatic; it flares from time to time), so I'd love to just have a good, naturally-scented candle.

Any ideas?
    Do you have a Yankee Candles Store near you? Otherwise try Beeswax Candles. I have had them, and they have terriffic scents.
    Good Luck, and Blessings this New Year!

The best ones I've come across in a long time......http://www.voluspacandles.com

is offline Proud member of the Witches of TOSwick
    I use Glade Scented Oil candles...the type that you burn in those round glass burners. You can get them in a pack of 4 for around $2.50; sometimes there's a coupon for discounts on the next purchase. The burners are sometimes pricey, but I've found them for a buck or so at the local Goodwill store...you might try thrift shops first.

I also use simmer pots (the kind you put a tealight in), which are also great thrift store finds. Wal-Mart is selling all sorts of liquid fragrances for simmer pots, under the "Elegant Expressions" brand (smaller dark plastic bottles; not the usual "quart-o'-simmer" one finds at dollar stores---those all smell like bubble bath to me). I recommend Sandalwood Vanilla Bean, Sandalwood, and Nag Champa. Also at Wallyworld, I buy hazelnut-scented tealights for the simmer pots...that way you get twice the scent going!

Quote Originally Posted by LadyDamiana View Post
    I use Glade Scented Oil candles...the type that you burn in those round glass burners. You can get them in a pack of 4 for around $2.50; sometimes there's a coupon for discounts on the next purchase. The burners are sometimes pricey, but I've found them for a buck or so at the local Goodwill store...you might try thrift shops first.

I also use simmer pots (the kind you put a tealight in), which are also great thrift store finds. Wal-Mart is selling all sorts of liquid fragrances for simmer pots, under the "Elegant Expressions" brand (smaller dark plastic bottles; not the usual "quart-o'-simmer" one finds at dollar stores---those all smell like bubble bath to me). I recommend Sandalwood Vanilla Bean, Sandalwood, and Nag Champa. Also at Wallyworld, I buy hazelnut-scented tealights for the simmer pots...that way you get twice the scent going!
    I used to like one type of Glade candle, which was seasonal, but they appear to have completely discontinued it, as it didn't come out this year.

Other than that one scent, I don't care much for commercial scents, especially not cheap ones. I'm by no means rich, but the cheap scents are so full of chemicals, that I may as well spray bathroom cleaner as an air freshener.

Thanks, though!

is offline Proud member of the Witches of TOSwick
    Quote Originally Posted by Sequoia View Post
    I used to like one type of Glade candle, which was seasonal, but they appear to have completely discontinued it, as it didn't come out this year.

Check on eBay....you'd be surprised at the "can't find" and "discontinued" products that crop up there.

Take a candle that has been used and has a
    'bowl' around the wick. Light it and let it burn enough to create that little melted wax pool in the bowl then pour some of your own choice of essential oil in the pool. Whalla, fantastic natural scent.
    Thats what I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Shanti View Post
    Take a candle that has been used and has a
    'bowl' around the wick. Light it and let it burn enough to create that little melted wax pool in the bowl then pour some of your own choice of essential oil in the pool. Whalla, fantastic natural scent.
    Thats what I do.
    I never thought of trying that! Thanks!!!

Partylite isn't cheap, but the scents are yummy and pretty strong as long as you use a votive or bigger. They also have the benefit of melting at a low temp and burning completely away so votives don't ruin your candle holders. I used to sell, but I've always been a big fan.

I quite like Yankee Candles and the wax tarts which can be used with oil burners.
    There seems to be quite a range in scents and they're available online.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast