Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Traditional Witchcraft and..."degrees"

Traditional Witchcraft and..."degrees"

Say huh? I was just informed that Traditional Witchcraft has a clergy and degrees, and that basically I am not a Trad. Witch if I don't follow that.

So again...say huh? That sounds alot like Trad Wicca to me and not Trad Witchcraft.

To a degree many family trads were degreed and had clergy. Yet it was not in the sense of a parson / pastor but a head of the family that oversaw and directed the whole families direction and focus.

Beneath that head were elders that taught and focused upon specific areas. For instance my sisters were placed under a different set of routes and stuff than I was as a male. Then based upon apptitude and such they focused on certain areas in detail.

But I am not certain I would say one is not a traditional witch without those items.

My mentor was Fam-Trad, they had degrees. In fact, his lot had nine of 'em.

I would not say it's not "trad" without them, though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

In Ireland at least, those that received labels as "witches," intervened alternatively with roles that local clergies be involved with, but these "degrees" sound and awful lot like they were created or borrowed from Wicca, whose degree system was influenced from the Freemason Craft degrees, also utilised by other magickal orders.

Whoever originally said this, sounds like they're trying to both be similar, and different to traditions influenced by Wicca at the same time.
    Semper Fidelis

It sounds like they just assumed Wicca when they heard the term Witch.

Also, Traditional Wicca does have degrees, you really need to be clear which Tradition you are talking about..... some have more than three, others have just one one - initiate. So even in Wicca it varies, and even more so in the broader sense with Witchcraft...

And of course in Wicca, Tradition doesn't just mean tradition in the average sense but a "denomination" of sorts... not simply in the sense of passed down customs because then you could call any path with consecutive history of practice a Tradition.... much in the sense of Family Traditions...

So to some it up I would say the are incorrect and have no arguement unless they first define Tradition as a specific lineage and even then that simply means you aren't of that lineage, not that you aren't a Witch.

and I suspect they were referring to Wicca because unfortunately this attitude of excluding those outside of British Traditional Wicca is all too common.

I have received nothing but respect from the Gardnerians and Alexandrians I actually know and usually just see this on the Internet so I honestly thing it's more of an attention kind of thing than anything else.

I've been on forums where they will say "post your lineage or it doesn't count" but unless you've been initiated by Raymond Buckland or someone recognizable... good luck tracing the line back to Gardner.... and then who's to say you didn't make it up.... not that that is something you would post online so eagerly...
    Tsalagi Nvwoti Didahnvwesgi Ale Didahnesesgi
    (Cherokee medicine practitioner of left and right hand paths)
    anikutani.stfu-kthx.net - The Anikutani Tradition

Family Tradition could mean anything... just depends on the family

^
    Just in case the obvious needs stating
    Tsalagi Nvwoti Didahnvwesgi Ale Didahnesesgi
    (Cherokee medicine practitioner of left and right hand paths)
    anikutani.stfu-kthx.net - The Anikutani Tradition

Quote Originally Posted by DracoJesi View Post
    Family Tradition could mean anything... just depends on the family

^
    Just in case the obvious needs stating

Just an aside but all the member's of family trads that I have dealt with never claim "Witch" as a title. There more Granny Magics, Cunning folk, Hedge Riders or practioners of folk magics. Seldom did one see any that called themselves witches.

Traditional Wicca(Gardnerian&Alexandrian), only has 3 degrees as well, like craft masonry, so I'm not sure where degrees would fit into Trad Craft unless someone created them relatively recently. I could only guess family traditions that employ them would have them in place to represent different levels of understanding, which is different to any Irish folk traditions I've heard of regarding apprentices at least. Also, Wicca's degrees are present in order to train its initiates for priesthood, so one would assume that Trad Craft with degrees are combining family traditions with a particular religion or priesthood, something that historic British Isle cunning folk did not do.
    Semper Fidelis

Quote Originally Posted by EntwinedScylla View Post
    My mentor was Fam-Trad, they had degrees. In fact, his lot had nine of 'em.

I would not say it's not "trad" without them, though.

*nods* I'm not saying that families can't or don't have them, but this dude was saying that Trad Craft is a clergy based goddess worshiping path who honor the goddess and the horned god...that is the "true" traditional witchcraft.

Just made me go...huh? o.O

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by TuathaSidhe View Post
    Trad Craft is a clergy based goddess worshiping path who honor the goddess and the horned god...that is the "true" traditional witchcraft.
    Erh... that I'd take exception to. In my experience there is a damn sight more focus on a dual god (not two gods, just one who plays two roles, probably related to the Bucca), and very little, if any, interaction with anything you might call a "Goddess".

Clergy? Maybe. But not in the sense of pastor and flock. As another poster said, "Head of the Family", but also "Second In Line For Head", and "People who can also take over if the other two die horribly." And then, 'course, everyone else.

Oddly enough, anyone not related by blood to the family wasn't taught about it. Which means husbands and wives were utterly, -UTTERLY-, ignorant as to what their spouses were getting up to. And that there was nothing in the way of "sexual fertility magick" being done... for, eh... obvious reasons.

People are doing their best to cram things into a Wiccan mold, because that's the comfortable one they know of. If Wicca is different from this "other stuff", it may just poke holes in their belief about the age and authenticity of Wicca...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast