Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Carrier oils?

Carrier oils?

Id like to make some of my own oils for scent, perfume and magikal purposes.

There are so many carrier oils, I was wondering which ones people here used and recommend?

Also, what keeps the oils from going rancid? Vit E, amber bottles? I obviously have some research to do, but Id like to know what people here do/use.

For oils that I need to just dilute, I use grapeseed oil. If I want a bit of a fruity scent, I use apricot oil. I also have jojoba oil, but I haven't gotten around to using it yet..
    Available for readings. PM with question!

Most people adopt cats or dogs. I adopt dragons...

It all depends on what I am mixing but the two that I use the most are sweet almond and light sesame. Thoses two seem to last the longest and mix the best with the oils that I like.
    ~*"The only true deity is the one that you believe in"*~
    Stalker of Gareth!

Stabbing the Captain with a pickle

I've heard good things about almond and coconut oil. Jojoba oil seems to be pretty common as well

I used Sunflower Oil once because I was out of Sesame Oil and that's what I could find the quickest.

It didn't work bad at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Astucity View Post
    I used Sunflower Oil once because I was out of Sesame Oil and that's what I could find the quickest.

It didn't work bad at all.
    I've done the same with canola oil. Pretty durned good stuff.

Sometimes I think I live in the dance studio.
    I use apricot kernel oil because it's the most readily available for me, but I've heard that jojoba oil has an indefinite shelf life and is really good for the skin.

It will depend on your intended use. Some cause skin sensitivity, some last longer than others, some have a scent. You'll really have to research and figure out what fits your needs. I personally use coconut, and it lasts a fairly long time when opened, and has no smell, but is heavy on my skin.
    Last edited by Herumetem; April 3rd, 2011 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Grammar fail.
    L'universe est le corps et l'esprit de mon dieu. Tout le monde sont ma famille; m'sit no komaq.

Grateful to the Gods who have patiently carried me along.

From my research jojoba oil will last the longest. Grapeseed is good as it doesn't have too much of it's own scent. Coconut is excellent for your skin and also for rubbing your scalp with it (it will promotes healthy hair growth) Unfortunately as I said this is from research from various books and friends, and not personal experience, but this is something i want to get into just as soon as we have some extra money.

Quote Originally Posted by EavanStar View Post
    Id like to make some of my own oils for scent, perfume and magikal purposes.

There are so many carrier oils, I was wondering which ones people here used and recommend?

Also, what keeps the oils from going rancid? Vit E, amber bottles? I obviously have some research to do, but Id like to know what people here do/use.
    Some oils go rancid easier than others. Most people I know recommend using vitamin E for a preservative, but I honestly prefer phenonip (it's much cheaper, safe for cosmetic use and doesn't alter the consistency or scent of the oil like vitamin E oil can.) Also certain oils I've made just don't go rancid at all because of the particular herbs and essential that are in them.

As for carrier oils, most people I know like to use almond oil because it's relatively low in scent, but I tend to prefer olive or castor oil myself, and sometimes mineral oil (for certain blends where minerals are a big part of the mix, especially.) Olive and castor oils have a stronger tradition of being considered sacred or holy on their own, as well. I'm also known to use just canola oil from the kitchen if that's what's available, though be warned it smells rather bad -- I once dripped a bit of canola-based magical oil over some incense, and it just made everything smell like old tortillas.
    The Famous Mother Bombie's Book of Witchcraft and Cunning Magick for Fortune Telling, Herb Magick, Divination, Charms, Potions and Old-Time Spellcraft.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast