Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Meditation - How to start?

Meditation - How to start?

I have a lot of pent up negative energy, I was told the best way to go about solving this is to travel inward through meditation and begin to sort the problems at the root. Problem is, I have no idea what I'm doing or even where to start. How do I sit? What do I even think about? I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with the whole subject, help is appreciated.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by ChasingRabbits View Post
    I have a lot of pent up negative energy, I was told the best way to go about solving this is to travel inward through meditation and begin to sort the problems at the root. Problem is, I have no idea what I'm doing or even where to start. How do I sit? What do I even think about? I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with the whole subject, help is appreciated.
    I may have difficulty explaining how I started, but I will try. Yes meditation can help to relieve you of the pent up negative energy.
    I usually try a yoga "indian sit", just because I find it helps me forget the physical pain as I progress into meditation. I find it best to clear my mind and think of absolutely nothing. If I can't for some reason, do this, I try to visualize a peaceful meadow, near a stream, and hear the soft wind. This will take you deeper into meditation, where you can access your inner most self, and deal with each stress individually.
    This can be a long process, but it can be quite helpful. My best advice: do 1 stressor at a time, as it will make it easier to track your progress.
    I just got done doing a year long spiritual healing process through medetation. I learned that the reason I needed the spiritual restoration was that I got involved in a war that I was completely unprepared for. During the spiritual restoration, I learned how to best protect myself from similar attacks, and who and what I am capable of at this point in time. I also learned to appreciate the little progresses.
    Blessings, and I pray this helps you.

Shoot for 5 minutes a day when you're starting out. You can find 5 minutes. That will build all on it's own as you choose.

Sit comfortably in any position you like. Just be sure it's one you won't fall asleep in. From that point, simply be mindful of your breathing. Breathe in, filling your belly first and chest second. Pause between breaths, and breathe out. Really become aware of the way the air feels entering your lungs. Feel the different sensations as air passes out of your body again. Your mind is likely to wander, and that's alright as well. When you catch yourself wandering off the point, just gently bring your awareness back to your breathing.

That should get you started just fine.

--Kaos
    “Nothing alive is the same from moment to moment. To live is to face the unknown over and over again.“

Great advice so far! Just keep trying, just keep trying....

Quote Originally Posted by kaosxmage View Post
    Shoot for 5 minutes a day when you're starting out. You can find 5 minutes. That will build all on it's own as you choose.

Sit comfortably in any position you like. Just be sure it's one you won't fall asleep in. From that point, simply be mindful of your breathing. Breathe in, filling your belly first and chest second. Pause between breaths, and breathe out. Really become aware of the way the air feels entering your lungs. Feel the different sensations as air passes out of your body again. Your mind is likely to wander, and that's alright as well. When you catch yourself wandering off the point, just gently bring your awareness back to your breathing.

That should get you started just fine.

--Kaos
    This is probably the best method to go with. Another good way to start is with a simple "flame exercise." Light a candle and focus on the flame. Often, when journeying within allows the mind to wander too much, having an external focus point can help keep the mind on track.

Focusing on all five sense is also a good way of channeling that kind of energy. Go through all of them- feel the air on your skin, smell it, focus on your taste buds, work your way through your body to find any tension and release it.

It can be very tempting to try to go for "the long stretch" when you first start meditating, but unless you have an established practice it can be difficult to keep things up without it starting to feel like a "job."

Good luck and keep working!

All great ideas. I also have issues starting. My mind is jysr always going. Need to meditate. I think i will start tonight. 5 minutes in a position I wont fall asleep in.

It's honestly, in my experience, a matter of practice. It's not 'clearing the mind', that will never happen. The mind is far too active. It's about focus, usually on breath or something simple and stable like that (or a flame, or a picture, or whatever). My aunt describes it like having a toddler. The toddler ill wander off, you just have to gently bring it back. And when it wanders again, and it will, just gently bring it back, until it learns to sit quietly.
    "It's like a dream to try to remember but it's gone
    Then you try to scream but it only comes out as a yawn
    When you try to see the world beyond your front door"

*Banner and sig by Geministar*
    AM currently accepting reading requests (because why not?)

Ghosted by Eternal Night!
    :irish: Shamrocked by Annorah!

That is a great description. A toodler that wanders off.

I had a really hard time with meditation at first, it was very hard for me to gain focus but the best advice I got came from a book I've read "The Witch's Eight Paths of Power." It pretty much said to start with a candle flame, get comfortable and pretty much just gaze at the flame taking note of how it flickers and moves and the colors it creates, but stay focused on only that and only that. If my mind started to wander I would try and bring it back to that one thing, the flame. After I was able to focus on just the candle flame I slowly began meditating without it and it made focusing a lot easier for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    I had a really hard time with meditation at first, it was very hard for me to gain focus but the best advice I got came from a book I've read "The Witch's Eight Paths of Power." It pretty much said to start with a candle flame, get comfortable and pretty much just gaze at the flame taking note of how it flickers and moves and the colors it creates, but stay focused on only that and only that. If my mind started to wander I would try and bring it back to that one thing, the flame. After I was able to focus on just the candle flame I slowly began meditating without it and it made focusing a lot easier for me.
    I have a terrible time focusing on flame. I can do it, but it's difficult. I wonder if you're a fire witch.
    "It's like a dream to try to remember but it's gone
    Then you try to scream but it only comes out as a yawn
    When you try to see the world beyond your front door"

*Banner and sig by Geministar*
    AM currently accepting reading requests (because why not?)

Ghosted by Eternal Night!
    :irish: Shamrocked by Annorah!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast