Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Seeing Sparks?

Seeing Sparks?

Well, I'm not quite sure where to begin XD.

Ever since I can remember, I've been able to see to see what I call "sparks"- they're these little pinpoints of bright, white light that will pop into my vision on occasion, fly or float around, then disappear. They usually last for several seconds. There's only ever one at a time and they are extremely bright, like little stars. As I've gotten older, they appear with more and more frequency, several times a day. I'll see them sometimes when I'm in a spiritual mood, other times they just pop out of the blue. It's all quite strange, and I've always wondered what they were. I thought my eyes were screwed up and went to the eye doctor, but he said I was fine, and I'm kind of at a loss to explain what they are...

Has anyone ever experienced this? Know what they are? Or perhaps my eyes are horribly screwed up. XD I'm young, so they shouldn't be symptoms of an age-related disease like malcular degeneration (at least, I hope :P)

They're almost always white. Almost. Lately, I've been seeing this beautiful, violet spark that flashes into existence briefly, then disappears. I've only ever seen that color once before, but it wasn't pleasant: Once, when talking to a teacher, I was suddenly distracted because this larger, black "spark" appeared out of nowhere, rimmed by violet. It seemed "sick" and really creeped me out, hovering there for like 30 seconds- I got this terrible feeling from it. My teacher asked me what I was wrong and I shook my head, ignoring it and praying for it to go away.

And once, when I was in extreme anger over having my heart broken (heheh, haven't we all been there), I saw this nasty red spark appear as I was cursing at my ex in my head and thinking all these vile, furious thoughts. It scared me and I instantly stopped, too frightened to stay mad XD.

Any information would be appreciated! I've looked around the internet- some websites say they're indicators of angels, the fey, spirits... i don't really know what to think. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

They can be signs of retinal tearing, but any eye doctor knows that and will check for it if a patient reports seing the squiggly lights. So if your doctor has ruled it out and you trust the diagnosis, then you should start journaling when the lights appear and try and see if there is any commonaliity or pattern in when and where they appear. It could help you sort out exactly what you are seeing and whether its cause is magical or mundane.
    Brought to you by the
    National Association For Addressing Prejudice Against Jackasses (NAFAPAJ).
    Not all witches are love and light, nor are they all hate and darkness.
    Some witches are just real mothers - like me.
    You cannot carve a beautiful sculpture in stone with loving strokes.
    It takes a hammer, a chisel, and a lot of aggression that needs converted.
    I am aware of how nasty I come across.
    If others have the right and freedom to be sweetness and light,
    I have the right to be spit and vinegar.

I see these everyday (plus other elementary hallucinations and illusions), nearly 24/7. I'd honestly look into medical causes before assuming it's faeries, angels or something else. Especially when it could be caused by brain issues (lesion, tumor, malformed veins, etc - these can be the cause behind seizures) or eye diseases!

I have elementary hallucinations as the neurologist called them. I see a lot of things, illusions (things appearing to morph and shift a bit, things waving and rippling for example) and hallucinations (flecks of light that move, dance and flicker, a blob on my left side, ghost-like mists, visual snow/glow on things etc). It's been like this for 5-6 years (getting progressively worse)...at times it's intrusive, but I'm more or less used to it... it's not something I can not see or ignore, though. He thinks they're Simple Partial Seizures, but I'm not 100% sure anymore as my issues are nearly constant (it was less so in the past).** I'm going to be getting my eyes checked again and hopefully set up a specialized test (ERG - electroretinogram) for the eyes to see if anything is wrong with the retina or macula.

ETA: ** I just wanted to say, even if yours are frequent or constant that doesn't mean it's not seizures. I read on a epilepsy forum, a lady who saw Tweety Bird over 200 times a day (that was her hallucination), hers where very frequent. I just didn't want you to think my personal speculations on my issue, ruled seizures out for you Everyone is different...

I also have eyes that appeared to be healthy (as of 3 years ago). The Eye MD didn't find signs of macular or retinal issues (no tears, floaters, degeneration, etc), but I'm obviously having issues somewhere in the vision system. The EEG was clear too, but I guess that doesn't mean it's not seizures (sometimes they fail to show up). My MRI was clean too. So, sort of a mystery.

Anyway, my point is...just because your eyes are healthy (make sure you see an ophthalmologist and get a dilation, btw), doesn't mean there isn't something medically wrong. It's tricky with visual symptoms I've found as it can be brain, eye or something else. The visual system is a fluid thing that can have problems anywhere along the way. Simple Partial Seizures can have an occipital focus and produce hallucinations and illusions. As can other issues, brain and eye related. It might be worth a trip to the eye DR again or a referral to see a neurologist to see if you need an EEG or MRI to rule things out. It could be nothing, or it could be something. If it is something, it would be best to know before it's too late. You don't loose consciouness with Simple Partial Seizures or convulse. So you could very well have them without realizing it.

Also, have you considered migraine? Sometimes you can have migraines without pain and they can produce visual auras. Though if your issues are like mine (constant), than that's probably not the issue.

And here are forms of macular degeneration that can have early onset, like Stargardt's Disease. Usually appears when young (you said you had this a long time?), but from what I read other signs might not appear until the 20s, ditto to the worsening visual acuity. I've also read Retinitis Pigmentosa can cause flashes of light. There's also countless other dystrophies (of the rods, cones, rentina, etc) that can cause issues. And MS can have visual issues, there are tests to rule that out along with MRI.

Though for you, you might want to look into:
    floaters
    retinal tears
    post vitreous detachment
    simple partial seizures
    ocular migraine (can be without pain too)
    Blood Pressure and Blood Sugar (sometimes people see things when they're low)

My older posts with more info, I believe some have links to info about simple partial seizures:
    http://mysticwicks.com/showpost.php?...80&postcount=6
    http://mysticwicks.com/showpost.php?...4&postcount=21
    http://mysticwicks.com/showpost.php?...8&postcount=29
    http://mysticwicks.com/showpost.php?...9&postcount=12
    http://mysticwicks.com/showpost.php?...1&postcount=13
    http://mysticwicks.com/showpost.php?...02&postcount=6

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Over the last 5-6 years, I've done a lot of research trying to understand things and find an answer.
    Last edited by Agaliha; January 15th, 2011 at 12:11 PM.

I call them my Dancing Diamonds.

I will continue on the assumption that there is no medical issue.
    For myself I know that there is not any medical or neurological issues.

I see them mostly in multiples. Sometimes there is only one dancing around, but more often then not there are a minimum of five... sometimes more, sometimes less. The fact that they move with a consciousness is fastinating. My Diamonds move in all directions at varying speeds, and changing directions. I feel comforted by them. The colour is indescribable, because it is just the purest brightest white, and words don't do them justice.
    I feel comforted by them.
    I have never seen the other colour (dark) that you described.
    I can't tell you what they are, because I do not know for sure. As an empath, I feel nothing but love and comfort from them.
    I don't know if that helps or not. Just my two cents worth!
    Love and Light
    Shyla

Occasionally, I see something like this, just one silvery sparkle that comes and goes quickly.
    Who knows? But my eye appointment is in another couple months,lol.

is offline Chronic Cat Food Label Reader
    I've been experiencing the same kind of thing lately, except I see blue random sparks. Sometimes I feel something flashing behind me, but when I turn around it's nothing. I wear bifocals (a type of eyeglasses), so maybe it has to do something with my eyes.

I occasionally see black sparkles, and have also seen sparks like you are describing, though much more rarely. I haven't figured out what they are or why I see them. They are different than the 'seeing stars' experience from a head rush or something like that. I don't know how to describe them.

There have also been times where I will see a spirit, and it appears like a shimmery blur in my vision in the areas in which I see it. I have excellent vision, and no known medical diagnosis which could cause that. The first time it happened it turned out that I was picking up on a person's cat who had passed on and had come for a visit.

A friend of mine associates the archangels with colors that she sees. Blue for Michael, etc. That's her system, and her accuracy tells me it works for her.

It sounds to me like you are trying to rule out any mundane causes, which is a good idea, especially with your health. Perhaps keep a journal of when it happens, and the meaning will become more apparent?
    "Problems can never be solved by using the same pattern of thought which created them." ~Albert Einstein
    "Though they are fine to see, horses frighten me because they are large and weak minded, which is a dangerous combination in horses, men and gods." ~Confessions of a Pagan Nun, by Kate Horsely

Somewhere Dark and confusing,but sometimes comfortable
    I tend to see grey 'Sparks' on occassion,More frequently latley...but I have seenthem all my life,They've just become the norm for me.They usually happen when I'm outdoors and when I'm really happy.

What I mean to say is,Yes,In the end we are all in the same boat.We're all just too busy trying to sink eachother to see it.~Me

Change is the only consistant thing in this world~Me

I am a Women,Therefore it is in my very Nature to be soul deep,caring,Increadibly complex and a constant source of awe and headaches!~Me

Exactly Why is it that 'With all Due Respect' really means kiss my ass.~Me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://cooltext.com/

I see sparks all the time.

Look into the sky or a light source and they dart around like tadpoles.

Once in a while, there is a large spark out of nowhere that lasts a split second.

After working for an ophthalmologist for a time, I can tell you they are nothing more than blood travelling through tiny blood vessels in your orbit area. My vessels are crooked and jagged, which is not, in my case at least, due to any blood/cholesterol issues, but it can be a sign. It's the reason why my sparks dart around 'randomly'.

I don't know the implications or reasons for larger sparks. Ask an eye doctor.

Black and clear spots, splotches, or lines are 'floaters'. Everyone has them. Not everyone can see them. Only when they block vision permanently are they anything to worry about. I have had a 'snake' floater for a decade.

If you are talking about things NOT manifested by or in the body.... No idea. The way to tell, if you are near-sighted like myself, is to see if the spots/sparks are well-defined (not blurry) without glasses on. They aren't for me, therefore they are internal.
    Last edited by antiquitas; March 15th, 2011 at 10:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by antiquitas View Post
    I see sparks all the time.

Look into the sky or a light source and they dart around like tadpoles.

Once in a while, there is a large spark out of nowhere that lasts a split second.

After working for an ophthalmologist for a time, I can tell you they are nothing more than blood travelling through tiny blood vessels in your orbit area. My vessels are crooked and jagged, which is not, in my case at least, due to any blood/cholesterol issues, but it can be a sign. It's the reason why my sparks dart around 'randomly'.

I don't know the implications or reasons for larger sparks. Ask an eye doctor.

Black and clear spots, splotches, or lines are 'floaters'. Everyone has them. Not everyone can see them. Only when they block vision permanently are they anything to worry about. I have had a 'snake' floater for a decade.

If you are talking about things NOT manifested by or in the body.... No idea. The way to tell, if you are near-sighted like myself, is to see if the spots/sparks are well-defined (not blurry) without glasses on. They aren't for me, therefore they are internal.
    Most likely its this post and totally physical not magical. Go see an eye doctor and most likely he/she will give you a logical explanation.
    Seeing sparks and such is quite common and often just a normal optical illusion.
    I believe in magical happenings but in this case its more likely optical happenings.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast