Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Energy efficiency

I bought 2 little ceramic heater fans this winter and my bill as $100 less than it was this time last year. The newer portable heaters were made to be energy efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by )O( ~ Khara~ )O( View Post
    I bought 2 little ceramic heater fans this winter and my bill as $100 less than it was this time last year. The newer portable heaters were made to be energy efficient.
    That's what I have, a little $20 heating fan. We actually bough it for the cats when they had to be kept in the cold.
    Check out my shop for a variety of jewelry, salves, crafts, and more: www.divineessencecreations.com

Find me on Facebook for updates, coupons, and discussions on products that you want to see: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Divine...85628011493663

Quote Originally Posted by RoseKitten View Post
    That's what I have, a little $20 heating fan. We actually bough it for the cats when they had to be kept in the cold.
    Too funny, I did it for the same reason. Their little paws were ice cold on my face in the middle of the night so I bought them a heater of their very own!!

Too funny, I did it for the same reason. Their little paws were ice cold on my face in the middle of the night so I bought them a heater of their very own!!
    When we went to visit his folks they had to be kept in the sun room (enclosed porch), which had no heat. In the middle of winter. In Indiana. <_<
    Check out my shop for a variety of jewelry, salves, crafts, and more: www.divineessencecreations.com

Find me on Facebook for updates, coupons, and discussions on products that you want to see: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Divine...85628011493663

I feel your pain, mine get into the basement which has no heat, I have a heater down there as well that is on a timer to keep the chill down.

Missouri here.

Surge protectors is spot on, things like modem, computers, cell phone chargers....

And you can also turn down your water heater depending on it's source.

Your fridge will be more efficient if you clean the coils as well.
    "He drew a circle that shut me out
    Heretic, rebel, a thing to flout
    But love and I had the wit to win;
    We drew a circle that took him in."

-- Edwin Markham

Keeping your freezer and fridge as full as possible also helps "keep the cold" so it doesn't have to run as much. Even if you don't fill them with food, fill some empty milk jugs with water and put them in the back, out of the way. When you need the space for food just take them out and save them for the next empty space.
    We are all just visitors to this earth!

Another fine banner by Catiana
    (\_/) (\_/)
    (O.o) ( _ )
    (> <) ( o ) hopping away!
    Green Room Forum Guide
    The MW Kitchen Forum Guide
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

A thermal insulating blanket around your water heater can make a significant difference. They are available in most home centers and hardware stores and are inexpensive.
    That which is not impossible is inevitable.

I know this is an old thread but I'd like throw my two cents in. It sounds like you are already doing good things to reduce your energy usage and a lot of the ideas here were spot on. In addition to insulating your water heater you can also check to see if the hot water pipes coming away from your heater are insulated. Foam pipe insulation is cheap and will keep the hot water from cooling down before it reaches the tap where you need it. You can also get foam insulation that is easily installed behind the plates of light switches and electrical outlets on your exterior walls.

If you are unsure which of your appliances are the energy hogs, you can get a cheap watt hour meter for about $20. You plug the meter into the wall, and then plug your appliance into the meter and it will tell you how many watts it's pulling. You can also use this to figure out how much energy you are saving by unplugging appliances when they're not in use. They're also kind of fun to play with.

If you have the space for it air drying your laundry on a clothes line during the summer and make sure the filter on your air conditioning unit is in good shape.

As someone said earlier make sure you don't throw those compact fluorescent bulbs in the trash as they do contain mercury, our local fire department takes ours, and a quick google search says that any Home Depot in the US or Canada accepts CFLs or disposal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2