Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Your Community Experiences?

Quote Originally Posted by Allytria View Post
    In my home town, we had one evil, vile lady who would try to ban you for being Left handed, as I was at the time.
    Just out of curiosity, by "Left handed" do you mean left-hand dominant, or do you mean following a "left-handed" path?
    If you're lucky you'll find something that reflects you,
    helps you feel your life protects you,
    cradles you and connects you to everything.
    Dar Williams, "The Hudson"

My community experiences were mostly great for a few years but now that particular group which was very strong has run it's course for me. I found myself getting frustrated and negative so left and now I'm just waiting for the next thing to come along.
    Robert Browning
    Porphyria's Lover
    THE rain set early in to-night,
    The sullen wind was soon awake,
    It tore the elm-tops down for spite,
    And did its worst to vex the lake:
    I listen'd with heart fit to break.
    When glided in Porphyria; straight
    She shut the cold out and the storm,
    And kneel'd and made the cheerless grate
    Blaze up, and all the cottage warm;

:cheers:

SO FUNNY - http://www.devilducky.com/media/32904/

pentacle magazine (click for link)

My experiences have been varied. In my home town (Dunedin New Zealand) they were generally great, mind you I was a community organizer. When my wife and I moved to the USA (Milwaukee to be exact) it was good to start with, then the shenanigans started. Milwaukee has the quaint little institute of "elders" who are really not "elders" but rather appointed by the self imposed "feudal lord" of the local pagans. He made some good appointments but one terrible one, as some one who was not part of the community for longer than 5 years, and had a shop, he made her one, and well she started to throw here weight around. I fell foul of that, and got "excommunicated" mind you I fought back too, she eventually left, and it was fairly ok. Though some wack jobs (we all have those) made it interesting. Now back in New Zealand it was smooth sailing again.

Now as a member of ADF I find that very welcoming (in person and online).

I haven't had much good experience, but some of it is understandable. With Heathens, they don't really like me because of my association with Loki. So even if I run into other Heathens, I don't really spend tons of time and if I'm invited to go to any kind of ritual or gathering, I politely decline. I suppose I could just tell them I'm a follower of Loki and see if the invitation still stands, but I honestly don't feel like doing that often. And of course, I understand why Heathens would be wary to bring someone like me into their group, so it's not like I blame them. And although I've never met another Lokean, I get the feeling I would not get along with them in real life. I think every one that I can remember talking to online either rubs me the wrong way or is too similar to me in all the wrong ways.

So that leaves me with finding community with non-Heathens. And honestly, I just don't feel like I have enough in common with them. Plus, there tends to be too much drama for me. So in the end, I just drift away from groups and go on my merry way. As much as I'd like to have a sense of community, I figure that online is as good as I'm going to get. Which really isn't that bad. Online, it'd be easier to ignore the people I don't like, where in the offline groups, it's apparently rude to tune someone annoying out. Oh, and I have this terrible habit of mocking people who just go on and on with the same stupid complaint or whatever. I was hanging out with this one person who was always going on about how so-and-so did this and that, and I just got sick of it, because not only did I hardly know this person, the complaints were so minor it was just like, "Go talk to so-and-so! You can work it out with them!"
    There is no emotion; there is peace
    There is no ignorance; there is knowledge
    There is no passion; there is serenity
    There is no death; there is the Force

For the most part, my experiences with Pagans were pretty good so far.
    (Mind, the only ones I've known are you guys and the ones at my store. They're always really helpful. xD)

Its my baby dragons! :D
    Well, none at the moment. :'(

Ah, the Pagan community. Some people are nice, and some people are, well, um, characters. The rituals at the local Pagan Pride days have been cool, but some Pagans would patronize me at discussions, call me fluffy or a prude, make fun of me because I liked Mythology by Edith Hamilton or other books they didn't deem worthy of their time, or were just plain giggly, immature, schoolgirly types. Or they'd get all nasty when I asked questions. I once asked a psychic why she charged for her services, because I read somewhere that Pagans follow the "we don't charge for students" rule. Instead of answering me nicely and saying, perhaps, that that rule was meant for something different, she ranted out, "so does that mean massage therapists or metaphysical people shouldn't charge?" on and on and on.

When we were talking about experiences with deities and I mentioned that my deities did not require me to worship them, and that they told me religion is really for humans, not them, and that you really don't need to worship anyone, well, let's just say that didn't go over too well.

We were discussing occupations once, and someone was like, "I sell sex toys" and I was like, oh, um, okay. Well then. I thought they'd at least say barber or truck driver or something.

But most Pagans I've come across had this dark, goth energy about them. Either that, or they were just flippant, flitting, unorganized adults. Scattered would be the better word. Loud-and-proud, too.

The older ones don't like the younger ones. I was at a Druid lecture, and the lecturer was fabulous, but then they were to have this panel discussion, and they'd agreed that the teenage daughter of one of the shop owners could participate, but that day, they withdrew her saying she wouldn't have much to add to the discussion due to her age. They justified it, and I spoke up and said that was kinda rude, to do that to her, and then I said something about age and wisdom, I can't remember even what it was, it just came out of nowhere. It hit a nerve with them. I wasn't very popular after that with them.

There are some quiet, un-assuming Pagans I know that you'd never guess were Pagan by appearance or mannerisms, and that's how I like it. You can be different without being obnoxious or weird. You can go skyclad, be proud without standing up and shouting it from the rooftops, have a nice energy about you, without being weird. You can be interesting without being openly weird to the extreme. And Paganism tends to attract a lot of extreme people, at least where I am.

I decided gatherings are not for me, by and large. I was looking forward to seeing a Pagan at a book discussion group, but did not, and it was so small I did not enjoy myself very much. When I got home, I emailed her and said I hoped that she was okay, I was worried about her because I did not see her at the group, and I just wanted to make sure she was all right. Well, what a rant I got! I was just trying to be a nice friend, but she was like, "you really need to be with people to have a good time, it's none of your business why I wasn't there" on and on and on.

Wow, Pagans have a lot of issues. Your religion should not have anything to do with your personality or appearance. It's just what you believe. Why do so many people have to get all mean or be immature adults just because they're Pagan? Christians are more mature adults than Pagans I've seen at gatherings. And those Pagans are adults.

The Pagans tend to be blunt and harsh. The newagey people tend to be blissfully spaced-out, nonjudgmental to the extreme. I'm human. I make judgments and have expectations. It's what I *do*. It helps me decide who to hang out with. So the Pagan/newagey folks tend to be in the extreme. And they talk about balance, but they don't seem very stable or balanced to me.

My experiences weren't fun, so I don't go to gatherings anymore.
    "Acts of bravery make us proud. Acts of kindness make us beautiful."
    My Heart is on the Ground (Ann Rinaldi)

"As long as you have you, there is always a choice."
    Shabanu, Daughter of the Wind (Suzanne Fisher Staples)

"It's hard to soar with the eagles when you're surrounded by a bunch of turkeys."
    (A friend)

The only real experience I've had is at my school. I've been wearing a pentacle for about 2/3 years, and my friends never commented on it.. They started reading a vampire book called house of night series. After the series came out with a "fledgeling book" They began to claim they were witches, wearing gaudy, oversized pentacles, claiming to have demon pets, and the such. They were unable to name any gods or goddess not named in the book. After all of this, they noticed my pentacle and started asking when i read the book, who was my demon pet ect........ I stopped hanging out with them very quickly
    I havent gotten the chance to go to any festivals or anything, so I'm hoping in the future I have better experiences

My experiences, post highschool, have been generally good. We have a couple groups here EPIC and TAWN and a couple others. They have classes, fundraisers for familys in need, discussion meetings. Lots and lots of positive energy and people. That said....I am going to my first Pagan Pride day this comming Oct.....After reading this post lol Im a little nervous.

Outside of MW, I find that most/all pagans are heavily prejudiced against me just because I'm a so-called "goth". They look down their noses at me like I'm practicing my faith just to fit in with the "goth" community... and let me tell you something: most goths aren't pagan and don't even believe in magic or any sort of deity. 'Kay? 'Kay. Now stop with the labeling, non-MW pagans.
    This is why I like online places like this.
    My "asking for it" by dressing the way I do still doesn't justify people being ignorant a**wipes.

I love that people here actually took the time to get to know me. <33

Quote Originally Posted by StarlitNox View Post
    Outside of MW, I find that most/all pagans are heavily prejudiced against me just because I'm a so-called "goth". They look down their noses at me like I'm practicing my faith just to fit in with the "goth" community... and let me tell you something: most goths aren't pagan and don't even believe in magic or any sort of deity. 'Kay? 'Kay. Now stop with the labeling, non-MW pagans.
    This is why I like online places like this.
    My "asking for it" by dressing the way I do still doesn't justify people being ignorant a**wipes.

I love that people here actually took the time to get to know me. <33
    Yea, I for one like you a lot!
    You're really helpful to me, and nice too.

Its my baby dragons! :D
    Well, none at the moment. :'(

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast