Thread: Keeping my cat off my altar.

Keeping my cat off my altar.

Yes I know, I'd smile too if when I wasn't in the middle of ritual, she jumps up on the altar with my lit candles, and about sets her furry butt on fire.

Then, when I lock her out of my bedroom while I am doing ritual, I hear loud screeches of almost agony while she is trying to get back in.

This cat is almost 10 years old, and still very springy for her age to be able to jump up that high.

When my altar isn't being used, I very rarely see her interested. Only if the curtains are open and the sun hits it and makes everything shiny.

Suggestions? Same experiences?

She really isn't an annoying cat, I promise.

She just has this one bad habit.

Well, aside from puking on the carpet when I give her dry food, but, that's another post.

She can feel the energies. Try making a spot for her. One that she is safe and there is no chance of her being caught on fire.
    ~*"The only true deity is the one that you believe in"*~
    Stalker of Gareth!

Stabbing the Captain with a pickle

I believe she can feel the energies too! I remember when I was Catholic, my cat Smokey would snuggle beside my statue of St. Anthony. Mom always said it was because St. Anthony found his stupid furry ass every blasted time he got lost...like how do you get lost in this small town? Oy.

Anyhow, I agree a little spot for her might work. Giver her her very own sacred space!
    "If the stars should appear but one night every thousand years how man would marvel and stare." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Remember your spirituality" - Ganesha to a friend in a dream, 2008

Trying to keep my cats off my altar has become a futile effort. I decided a while back, if they catch themselves on fire then so be it.

I make every effort to only use jar candles now and that has helped.

I even tried catnipping the little buggars and all that did was make them want to be in the middle of everything even more.

I will try that! It's only recently since I moved my altar.

I will make Mojo her own spot with treats and toys so she can see the action and I can do ritual without feeling she is in danger.

We had to rearrange the bedroom so my altar got moved more close to the bed. Before then everything felt cramped and yuck.

Thanks, guys!

I have very similar problems. I have three cats, one white, one orange, one orangey-white. The orange one liked to pee ALL OVER THE ALTAR OH MY GOD it is amazing that this cat survived (neutering stopped this behavior). The orangey-white one likes to sit on the altar. The white one likes to get up on it and chew on whatever is up there--currently, a bouquet of maple leaf roses for Mabon.

I don't really believe that they "sense the energy". I think in this case they know you're paying attention to something that is bright, smelly, colorful, but most importantly something that is not them, and they want that changed right then and there.

I solved this by watching how my cats acted, then prepared accordingly. I waited until the cats were comfortable on the bed most specifically NOT during their normal playtime hours, gave them a little treat and a few of their favorite toys, their food, water, and litter boxes, and shut the door for an hour or two while I did my thing. They slept soundly, and when I was done, they came out, rested and ready to raise hell with the laser pointer toy.

If the cats get up on the altar, they do it because they want my attention. They're animals with simple needs. They want love, affection, pets, and total attention when they want it, like a little kid does. One just has to work around them. They are their own people.
    ---

[you have been visited by a heliotrope]

[hi]

I don't think it's the energies. Cats are always attracted to whatever it is their humans happen to be using at the moment. The cats that I've had will jump on the newspaper if I'm trying to read it or sit on my homework when I'm trying to do it or try to help me type if I'm on the computer. She probably just doesn't like that you're paying attention to something that's not her.
    "Oh yeah, well quote this!"
    -Me

(\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <)

First person to notice this text doesn't win a prize.