Page 5 of 92 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 55 ... LastLast

Thread: ~~In Memoriam~~

Unhappy Goodbye Atticus

Another wonderful actor, icon really, has passed on:

http://entertainment.msn.com/news/ar...px?news=125271

I can't believe it really - but I suppose we will have to start getting used to losing more and more of these legends of film as time goes on.

So sad.

Edited to add: Incidentally, the character of Atticus was just named by AFI as film's greatest hero.
    Last edited by Cinnamon Girl; June 12th, 2003 at 04:20 PM.
    I'm a loner, Dottie. A rebel.
    When you walk through a storm, hold your head up high, and don't be afraid of the dark.

"There's always a lot of magic, but our way of seeing is very small and we mostly just call it Nature. Why, we are not at all surprised that we can pick an apple in the autumn that was a pink flower in the spring. That's natural magic and we don't really notice it."
    ~ Pidge
    The Hounds of the Morrigan

I am very sad to report, that Ms. Katherine Hepburn has passed on. My mother is sad. she loved her. I seen not every single one, but quite a bit of her work. I hope now she is with her true love, Spencer Tracey.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...o/obit_hepburn

she will live on in her films and her fans hearts.
    It's been minutes, it's been days. It's been all that I remember. <3

Unhappy

My mother's hero has passed. I always told her that I had a "room reserved" for her for the day that this happened because I knew how upset she'd be. Well, the day has come.

What a wonderful woman Ms. Hepburn was. An amazing spirit that has inspired generations of women worldwide. Hers was a talent unmatched by any other. Her strength and love of life was truly outstanding.

As my mother said, "She is with 'her Spencer' now" and we know that this of course is true.

She will be missed, honored and never, ever forgotten.

Farewell Great Kate...and thank you.

Here is a brief news story on her career from IMDB:

Screen Legend Katharine Hepburn Dies at 96

Actress Katharine Hepburn, one of the silver screen's true legends and the actress considered the first lady of cinema, has died at the age of 96; reports stated she passed away Sunday afternoon at her home in Old Saybrook, Connecticut. An iconoclast who worked the Hollywood system to her advantage, she was honored with 12 Academy Award nominations, the most for any actor until Meryl Streep broke that record last year. Hepburn won an unparalleled four Best Actress Oscars one for the 1933 drama Morning Glory, two in a row in 1967 and 1968 for Guess Who's Coming to Dinner and The Lion in Winter, and her final one for 1981's On Golden Pond. Known for her patrician New England accent, pioneering feminist stance and unconventional bearing and beauty, Hepburn acted onstage in New York before being lured to Hollywood with a role in A Bill of Divorcement opposite John Barrymore. From there, her career hit both highs and lows, but she remained a Hollywood fixture well into the latter part of the 20th century. Early successes such as Alice Adams and Little Women were followed by financial failures like Bringing Up Baby (now a classic of the screwball genre) which labeled her "box office poison." Going back to Broadway, she wowed critics and audiences with her turn in The Philadelphia Story, and bought the rights for the 1940 screen adaptation, which revived her film career. The `40s saw her paired with longtime lover Spencer Tracy (a relationship she rarely discussed) in films like Woman of the Year and Adam's Rib, while the `50s saw her star in the classic The African Queen, among other films. After her Oscar wins in the late `60s, Hepburn worked less, and also turned to the small screen in acclaimed television films. Her career was capped with her turn in On Golden Pond opposite Henry Fonda, and she made her last screen appearance in 1994's Love Affair. In the `90s she retired to her home in Connecticut, where she spent her remaining years in declining health. --Prepared by IMDb staff

Here are some links for info regarding Katherine Hepburn's career and death:

Katherine Hepburn

Katherine Hepburn Dies at 96

Actress Hepburn Dies at 96 There are other links here as well.

Quotes from Katherine Hepburn's Book 'Me'

-----------><-------------
    Say it with me: Peace, Prosperity, Persistance.
    THOUGHT = ENERGY = HOPE

Classic Flar: have to go asphyxiate clown
    SMILE! Irving loves you.
    HURRICANE PET HELP: Don't Forget The Pet!!!~~ Petfinder: Hurricane Site

Procrastinate Now, Don't Put It Off--Ellen DeG.

Jesus loves pipe-cleaners.
    Wtchy's Mood: I didn't mean to break Ernesto!

The Great Redwoods of Northern California
    This is a most said day, I adored her and her movies. I will burn a candle in honor of a wonderful woman.

Nothing in the world is friendlier than a wet dog

Sometimes I dream that a big, giant squirrel is carrying me away. Does that make me a nut?

If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.
    Disciple of Jodarius~~Keep of the Names
    AKA: VroomBroom

Proud mom of a LCPL, US Marine!
    VMAQ1
    Semper Fi!

She has always been a hero of mine~so gutsy, yet with such poise and grace.

Many years back I was lucky enough to play Elinor in The Lion in Winter, one of the roles for which she won one of her 4 Oscars. I never came remotely close to the remarkable character Katharine played--but I was thrilled to have the chance to play a part that had been done by her.

A strong sense of herself, a love of life, and a wonderful sense of humor. That's how I remember her. That, and as Tracy in The Philadelphia Story.
    "ANCORA IMPARO"
    "I've committed an original sin, I've poked a badger with a spoon."
    Eddie Izzard, Dress to Kill

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten."

Well, I may as well ask the cat, I'll get a better answer.

With sorrow, I note the passing of actress Katherine Hepburn. She died of the age of 96 due to "old age" on Sunday, June 29th. While famous for her iron will and excellent acting ability, the late Ms. Hepburn upheld that life was more important then her carreer.

She left us an amazing legacy that has value both in the realm of entertainment and as life lessons for future generations.

Katherine Hepburn will be greatly missed by many of us who upheld her as a role model and an inspiration.

My heart goes out to her family and friends in their loss of her company in this lifetime.

*** Edited ***

I see that I'm not the only one posting on this. Sorry I didn't read the thread before posting.
    Last edited by cydira; June 30th, 2003 at 07:27 PM.
    Blessings to you and yours,

Cydira

---------------------
    "Give me liberty or give me death." ~ Patrick Henry
    "Don't tread on me." ~ Revolutionary Battle Standard
    ---------------------

I'm on Keen! Call me for a tarot reading!

**Actor/Comedian Buddy Hackett Dies at 79**

Well folks, it happened again. Actor/Comedian Buddy Hackett died tonite at the age of 79.

Definately a true original he was known not just for his on screen work but for his stand up comedy as well as the many voice-over works that he had done over the years. To me, he will always be remembered for his role in the "Music Man" playing so well along side the great Robert Preston. And don't forget his roles in the "Love Bug" and "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World."

This part of the news story shows the great irony that was his life:

He was born Leonard Hacker in a Jewish section of New York City's borough of Brooklyn on Aug. 31, 1924. For a time he apprenticed in his father's upholstery shop, but at school he found he had a talent for making his fellow students laugh. That was a necessity to offset the taunts about his roly-poly shape.

When he received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame a few years ago, he quipped that he had left Brooklyn "to get away from the subway" only to discover that the star had been placed above the one in Los Angeles.

"It's a damn circle," he complained.

For more info:

Buddy Hackett Dies at Age 79

Career of Buddy Hackett

THOUGHT = ENERGY = HOPE

SMILE! Irving loves you.

The Great Redwoods of Northern California
    this is getting so sad!

Nothing in the world is friendlier than a wet dog

Sometimes I dream that a big, giant squirrel is carrying me away. Does that make me a nut?

If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.
    Disciple of Jodarius~~Keep of the Names
    AKA: VroomBroom

Proud mom of a LCPL, US Marine!
    VMAQ1
    Semper Fi!

I'll always remember Buddy Hackett as the "Irish coffee guy" from The Love Bug... that was my favorite movie when I was a kid.

Well, I posted this in Music but since the man was a legend (and did a Simpsons' episode) I wanted to post it here as well.

Barry White died today at the age of 58 after a long illness.

Again, there is more info in Music but to read just one of many news stories on this great man, you can:

Click Here

THOUGHT = ENERGY = HOPE

SMILE! Irving loves you.

Page 5 of 92 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 55 ... LastLast