Page 7 of 92 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 57 ... LastLast

Thread: ~~In Memoriam~~

Bob Hope....the perfect name for him and his life. Thanks Bob...for the Hope!
    mol

sitegod/system_administrator/founder/member/engineer/enigma
    follow mysticwicks on twitter | my blog

*lights candle for entire thread*
    ~*"The only true deity is the one that you believe in"*~
    Stalker of Gareth!

Stabbing the Captain with a pickle

Gregory Hines has passed.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp.../ap/obit_hines

I just LOVED him in "History of the World" and "Running Scared" He was a great dancer as well, and some of my fondest Sesame Street memories involved him dancing with a muppet or two.
    It's been minutes, it's been days. It's been all that I remember. <3

Bobby Bonds, Barry's father, passed away today.

is offline Alas... Meatball doesn't work that way!
    yeah, that's sad. but at least the vigil is finally over.
    it makes me feel old too. i was at Candlestick Park the day he made his Major League debut, a pinch-hit grand slam in his first at bat! that hadn't been done since, like 1902, and hasn't been done since.
    57 is too damn young, but he was a heavy smoker.
    oh well...
    some people are like slinkies -
    not good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when they are pushed downs the stairs.

True enlightenment comes from discovering principles which challenge your spiritual view, not from inventing principles to confirm it.

Bummer..........

Thank You, CloakofStars9 and WynnJera for the beautiful banners!

Get off your butt....Rescue a mutt!!
    It's time to scat...Save a cat!!
    Visit Your Local Pound or Rescue!

http://entertainment.msn.com/news/ar...px?news=132530

*sighs* Charles Bronson passed away today. He was 81.
    Oh Noz Oppression!
    Because life is so much more exciting when you're being persecuted.

Easy English Grammar Lesson:

Your - the possessive form of you

You're - a contraction of "you are"

I still can't believe he was 81. He was one of those stars that you thought would be around forever.

-----------><-------------
    Say it with me: Peace, Prosperity, Persistance.
    THOUGHT = ENERGY = HOPE

Classic Flar: have to go asphyxiate clown
    SMILE! Irving loves you.
    HURRICANE PET HELP: Don't Forget The Pet!!!~~ Petfinder: Hurricane Site

Procrastinate Now, Don't Put It Off--Ellen DeG.

Jesus loves pipe-cleaners.
    Wtchy's Mood: I didn't mean to break Ernesto!

The Great Redwoods of Northern California
    Edward Teller, `Father of the Hydrogen Bomb,' Dies at 95September 10 4:05:00 AM EST
    WALNUT CREEK, Calif. - Edward Teller, the controversial advocate of nuclear weapons and a symbol of the Cold War era, died Tuesday afternoon at his home near Stanford University. He was 95. The co-founder and one-time director of Lawrence Livermore Laboratory in California suffered a stroke. "The loss of Dr. Edward Teller is a great loss for this laboratory and for the nation," Lawrence Livermore director Michael Anastasio said in a statement. "He was a passionate advocate for science and the development of Lawrence Livermore. He put his heart and soul into this laboratory and into ensuring the security of this nation, and his dedication never foundered." Teller was most well known by the title "Father of the Hydrogen Bomb," a moniker he disliked. But that label remained as inseparable from Teller, whose career spanned the Cold War. Livermore lab was almost inextricably tied to Teller. The lab he pushed for and co-founded 51 years ago was both bolstered and drained by his influence through the years. Teller had been scheduled to appear at the lab on Tuesday morning for the dedication of an education center named in his honor. "Some might not agree with his intensity and politics and so forth, but everyone respected him," Bob Kuckuck, a former lab deputy director, said Tuesday evening. "You couldn't interact with Edward without feeling he was three or four magnitudes deeper than you were on an issue." Teller never shied away from the hostility nuclear weapons advocacy often evokes. At times, he seemed to invite it, with unwavering support of ever more powerful nuclear weapons. Through the years, though, Teller had not considered himself controversial, just disdained. "I argued for something that was unpopular," Teller said in 2000. "I argued that you need to have powerful nuclear weapons and not use them." Teller was a prominent figure during key nuclear developments as a scientist, an advocate, an educator and a presidential adviser. In 1939, he watched Albert Einstein sign a letter encouraging President Franklin Roosevelt to bring scientists together to build the atomic bomb. Later, he participated as the world's top scientific minds gathered on a remote New Mexico mesa-top to build the first weapon of mass destruction, an effort known as the Manhattan Project. In the period after the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, Teller was among the first to encourage the United States to build bigger and better weapons. He urged development of the more powerful hydrogen bomb and, when he saw reticence at Los Alamos Laboratory, called for another lab to push the envelope. Through these years, Teller pushed his staunch belief in nuclear weapons. Even after the Soviet Union's collapse and the end of nuclear weapons testing, Teller said new weapons were necessary to maintain peace, and opposed several weapons reduction treaties. During the Reagan administration, Teller was a major advocate for development of the space-based missile defense system known as Star Wars. He used the threat of the former Soviet Union to his advantage. "I don't want to hurt the Soviets. I only want to defend ourselves. I think at this moment, I'm a slightly unhawkish hawk," he wrote in 1983 of the controversial proposal, which attempted to use lasers to shoot down missiles. The costly system eventually was deemed a failure, though the lab says some experiments with the X-ray laser were a success. While Teller was best known for his nuclear weapons advocacy, scientists also remember him for his research - he did groundbreaking solid state physics work that is still used today. But Teller was infamous for testifying against his former boss, Robert Oppenheimer, the former UC Berkeley physicist who was the Manhattan Project's scientific and spiritual leader. "The Oppenheimer case is probably what made him, much more than the H-bomb, an enemy of many of the scientists of his generation," said Barton Bernstein, a Stanford professor who has written extensively about Teller and the bomb projects. After Teller testified, many former Manhattan Project colleagues would no longer speak to him, or even be in the same room. Bitterness within the scientific community lasts to this day. "I am not a loner," he once said. "I like to work with others. I have friends among physicists today, outside of Livermore as well, but not very many. And those I do have I don't see very often. Even on less controversial topics, Teller drew the vitriol of his adversaries. In 1989, the city of Davis - where he once was a department head at UC Davis - named a street "Teller Avenue," but changed it soon after because he was "not terribly popular among peace activists," who vandalized the street signs within a week. Bernstein said Teller would often tell one story about a historic event, then documents from the period would later prove him wrong. His autobiography was controversial because it took many stands that contradicted other people's views of historical events. Teller had been in declining health for several years, his body gradually shrinking until he was confined to a wheelchair. But his mind remained sharp until the last days, and he continued coming to his office at the lab several days a week, wearing his trademark cowboy boots. "It has been remarkable how his mind and body took two different paths," Kuckuck said. "He was just so brilliant, right until the end.' --- (c) 2003, Contra Costa Times (Walnut Creek, Calif.). Distributed by Knight Ridder/Tribune News Service.

Nothing in the world is friendlier than a wet dog

Sometimes I dream that a big, giant squirrel is carrying me away. Does that make me a nut?

If swimming is so good for your figure, how do you explain whales?

When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.
    Disciple of Jodarius~~Keep of the Names
    AKA: VroomBroom

Proud mom of a LCPL, US Marine!
    VMAQ1
    Semper Fi!

Not only has Johnny Cash died today (see my thread in Music), but actor John Ritter.

John Ritter is best known as "Jack Tripper" the character he portrayed in the 1970's sitcom "3's Company" Some others know him from Buffy, when he played her mom's boyfriend who (i believe) was a robot or some such thing (Buffy fans can help me on that one). He was also the Dad in the movies "Problem Child" Recently Mr. Ritter had been on the ABC show "8 Simple Ways of Dating My teenage Daughter"

Apparently, he fell ill while filming and was rushed to the hospital where he passed away. Funny, funny man. His death comes as a shock, at least to me.

So, for The Man In Black and for John Ritter. Both will be remembered and missed very much.

for more info on John Ritter: http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...ople_ritter_dc

for Johnny Cash: http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...ople_cash_dc_6
    Last edited by MammaStar; September 12th, 2003 at 06:49 AM.

Page 7 of 92 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 57 ... LastLast