Thread: The termonologies

is offline I was not born under a rhyming planet.

The terminologies

A short list of a few terms people tend to get mixed up.

Atheism - The lack of belief in god/goddess/deity. I.E non-belief. "I don't believe." (the one thing all definitions of atheism and all atheists have in common)

New Atheism - A movement that is working for the advancement of a naturalistic worldview and has a non-tolerance of ignorance myth and superstition, a disregard for the tolerance of religion. (Authors who inspired/created the movement: Sam Harris, Daniel C. Dennett, Richard Dawkins, Victor J. Stenger and Christopher Hitchens)

Materialism - The philosophical theory that the only thing that exists is matter. All things are composed of matter.

Empiricism - In philosophy : the assertion that knowledge comes from sensory experiences.
    In science: that all things must be tested against observations of the natural world.

Rationalism - In a modern sense, any view that appeals to reason as a source of knowledge or justification.

Scepticism - Contemporary use: doubt in the face of claims that are elsewhere taken for granted.

Reductionism - a) the approach to understanding the nature of complex things by reducing them to the interaction of their parts or
    b) the philosophy that a complex system is nothing more but the sum of it's parts

Agnosticism - The view that the truth value of certain claims are unknown and unknowable.

Secularism - the view that human activities and decisions, especially political ones, should be based on evidence and fact unbiased by religious influence

Secular Humanism
    - the secular philosophy that specifically rejects religious dogma, the supernatural, pseudoscience etc as the basis for morality and decision-making. Instead it espouses human reason, ethics, and justice.

Theism - The belief in one or more deities

Idealism - The philosophical theory that claims experience is ultimately based on mental activity

-----------------------------------

I was going to make a longer and more in-depth list, with sources and links to various videos, articles... etc. But quite frankly, I have the distinct feeling it would be a complete waste of my time, and I have other, more pressing things to take care of.

I may or may not update this list with all the things previously mentioned at a later date.
    Last edited by Aeon Flux; February 15th, 2011 at 10:02 PM.
    Previously known as Njorun Alma

"A mind of the calibre of mine cannot derive its nutriment from cows." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Njorun Alma View Post
    A short list of a few terms people tend to get mixed up.

Atheism - The lack of belief in god/goddess/deity. I.E non-belief. "I don't believe." (the one thing all definitions of atheism and all atheists have in common)

New Atheism - A movement that is working for the advancement of a naturalistic worldview and has a non-tolerance of ignorance myth and superstition, a disregard for the tolerance of religion. (Authors who inspired/created the movement: Sam Harris, Daniel C. Dennett, Richard Dawkins, Victor J. Stenger and Christopher Hitchens)

Materialism - The philosophical theory that the only thing that exists is matter. All things are composed of matter.

Empiricism - In philosophy : the assertion that knowledge comes from sensory experiences.
    In science: that all things must be tested against observations of the natural world.

Rationalism - In a modern sense, any view that appeals to reason as a source of knowledge or justification.

Scepticism - Contemporary use: doubt in the face of claims that are elsewhere taken for granted.

Reductionism - a) the approach to understanding the nature of complex things by reducing them to the interaction of their parts or
    b) the philosophy that a complex system is nothing more but the sum of it's parts

Agnosticism - The view that the truth value of certain claims are unknown and unknowable.

Secularism - the view that human activities and decisions, especially political ones, should be based on evidence and fact unbiased by religious influence

Secular Humanism
    - the secular philosophy that specifically rejects religious dogma, the supernatural, pseudoscience etc as the basis for morality and decision-making. Instead it espouses human reason, ethics, and justice.

Theism - The belief in one or more deities

Idealism - The philosophical theory that claims experience is ultimately based on mental activity

-----------------------------------

I was going to make a longer and more in-depth list, with sources and links to various videos, articles... etc. But quite frankly, I have the distinct feeling it would be a complete waste of my time, and I have other, more pressing things to take care of.

I may or may not update this list with all the things previously mentioned at a later date.
    Thank You this list cleared up a few things I regularly confused with others on the list. I apreciate the clarification.
    Blessings.

is offline I was not born under a rhyming planet.
    Quote Originally Posted by mouseytalons View Post
    Thank You this list cleared up a few things I regularly confused with others on the list. I apreciate the clarification.
    Blessings.
    You're welcome. I am glad someone got something out of it.
    Previously known as Njorun Alma

"A mind of the calibre of mine cannot derive its nutriment from cows." - George Bernard Shaw