Thread: Advice about my familiar

Advice about my familiar

Hello, all. I'm in an interesting predicament with my familiar. You see, my familiar found me (literally) when I was about 14. He's the cat in my avatar, if you're curious. He's a sweet heart.

Unfortunately, I have a slight problem. I'm here at university, while he's at home during the year with my lovely family... They aren't terrible, but they don't take great care of him. I would bring him to live in my apartment with me, but there are a few problems with it.

1. Since I don't have papers to show that I adopted him from a rescue, I'd have to pay 50 bucks more per month for my apartment. And the parents aren't about to let my rent go up.
    2. My mother loves him (even though I'm fairly certain that her love will give him diabetes. Long story), so she won't let me take him.
    3. The boyfriend is allergic to cats.
    4. Maintenance tends to come into my room to fix things when I'm not here, and I'm terified that he'll run out the door and I'll never see him again, since he was an outdoor cat at one point and sometimes tries to get out for a little romp.

I'm really not sure what to do about him being at home. I don't feel right not having him or another familiar here with me. But at the same time I need him to be home, too, because there are some nasty things going down there that I know he keeps an eye on for me (poltergeists and some not too happy spirits that want us out).

Lately I've felt drawn to either bring him here with me, or to find another animal to be here with me since he can't be, too.

Any suggestions for me about what to do? Sorry for the long post, by the way.
    Last edited by TigerCzarina; February 20th, 2011 at 02:44 PM.
    The past is a ghost, the future is a dream, and all we ever have is now. -Bill Cosby

A familiar is a spiritual entity, though it may be housed in a physical shell. It will continue to be present with you even if the living cat it inhabits remains with your family. That you still refer to your parents' house as "home" means that is where he belongs. You don't stop being a witch when your Book of Shadows is on the shelf, and he doesn't stop being your familiar if he's not in your lap.

I understand that... It just feels strange not to have him around physically, I guess. Maybe it's just strange for me, being without him physically when I actually could bring him here?
    The past is a ghost, the future is a dream, and all we ever have is now. -Bill Cosby