Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cemeteries

Cemeteries

Am I the only one here who likes to wander through cemetaries? (I feel weird admitting that lol). Sometimes I'll go and just look at the headstones and try to learn about who the person was in life, etc.

The one by my house has such a peaceful atmosphere to it. Kind of like when the sun sets, or a story is finished; it's quiet and not spooky in the least...at least, not for me.

Anyhow...yeah. Tell me what you all think.
    "If the stars should appear but one night every thousand years how man would marvel and stare." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Remember your spirituality" - Ganesha to a friend in a dream, 2008

Nope you're not the only one. The one behind my house is a wonderful place to walk and I usually do during nice weather. I especially love it in the spring when my Willow trees are blooming and the there is a nice comfy spot beneath them.

Summer isn't bad either.
    What We have fought and bled for will never be lost to us.

Nope I like to walk threw them as well. There was one behind where I grew up that we used to always go and hang out in. I think that the older they are the more interesting they can be.
    ~*"The only true deity is the one that you believe in"*~
    Stalker of Gareth!

Stabbing the Captain with a pickle

I do especially if it's researching my family's history. I even have pictures of my great grandparents' and great great grandparents' headstones up in Facebook and other spots.
    "The road to hell is paved with adverbs." - Stephen King.

I love exploring old pioneer cemetaries, especially when the lilacs are blooming. They loved to plant lilacs at the graves at the turn of the 20th century. At least around here. When I lived in GA we would always go check out the neat old headstones.

I've been to some that I really like that I consider peaceful. However, I went to one in Virginia City and not all of it was very calm. There was a section dedicated to firemen who died in their work, and I found that section a bit more uneasy along with a few others.
    The cemetery itself is beautiful though, it's in the foothill mountains in Virginia City, NV. Really cool place overall.
    Last edited by BlackSwan; February 21st, 2011 at 03:50 PM.
    ...saith the black swan [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"What if you slept? And what if, in your sleep, you dreamed? And what if, in your dream, you went to heaven and there plucked a strange and beautiful flower? And what if, when you awoke, you had the flower in your hand? Ah, what then?" ~Coleridge

When I was a full time student, the cemetery was my favorite place to study. Of course, you don't get much past the mid 1800's in Southern California, but still, the atmosphere was always peaceful, a helpful thing for a student! Now that I live in New England, and find some seriously old graves, the atmosphere seems a little more crowded, you know what I mean? Many more dead people. You aren't the only one, by a long shot!
    Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity? ~Steve Polyak

Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

“While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.”
    Mark Twain

Nothing odd about it, what do you think anthropologists do? lol at least you are not digging them up!

I like to walk through one on ocassion, gives me a sense of why I'm here and how lucky I am to still be walking among my fellows. Gives new perspective, tells you history of life and death and gives a small corner of peace in an otherwards crazy world.

is offline Only when it's dark can you see stars
    I would love to wander around in cemeteries, but sadly I don't have any near. There are a few downtown that are really old and seem really intriguing though.
    Steal my power oh Beautiful Night
    Lift me up into your light
    A shadow in the shadows
    Blessed be
    Nothing is ever what you see
    -Amethyst Midnight
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Somewhere Dark and confusing,but sometimes comfortable
    I love to wander around cemeteries and just absorb all the feelings and such that fil the atmoshpere there.Different sections and diferent graves give off different vibes.For example,The saddest section(s) for me are the childrens graves,I always get a feeling of curriosity and loss,And offten times playfulness aswell though.Its as if the children know that they lost out on the chance to explore and really live.

The happiest section(if there is sucha thing)is of the elderly,those who died after they had happily lived their lives to the fullest and were content to pass on to death.

I spend alot of time at cemeteries studying,thinking or pacing and such.

What I mean to say is,Yes,In the end we are all in the same boat.We're all just too busy trying to sink eachother to see it.~Me

Change is the only consistant thing in this world~Me

I am a Women,Therefore it is in my very Nature to be soul deep,caring,Increadibly complex and a constant source of awe and headaches!~Me

Exactly Why is it that 'With all Due Respect' really means kiss my ass.~Me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://cooltext.com/

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast