Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Cemeteries

Cemetaries are ok IF I dont enter them (unless I'm visiting deceased family). Otherwise I get too overwhelmed with all the activity. But the ones around me look beautiful from the other side (no pun intended lol).

Well, yesterday I trecked over to a local cemetary...literally 7 miles away from me. I walked...it's easy to get there, you just walk straight Well, once you get to a certain part of my block, but you pretty much just walk straight to get to it.

It's a very big cemetary. it looks small from outside, but it's huge. It has windy pathways and hills, and if you go to the top, you can see the entire town. It's really invigorating.

The cemetary itself probably opened in the 1800s. The oldest headstone I found was from 1826. Some of them are very plain and old looking, some simply saying "mother" or "sister" on them. Others had entire families buried next to each other. Some were entombed and others stored in a mausoleum (I didn't go in there lol). One headstone was so old that I couldn't make out the writing. It was whitewashed with green moss covering it, and I guess at one point there was paint on it. I saw a few covered in leaves and grass and moved it. I didn't want to accidentaly step on any, so I remember watching my step. There were others that were treestumps that had these beautiful designs on them.

There were two headstones I stayed by for quite a while. It was a mother and her son. He was born in 1937 and died in 1938. He was just a year old, maybe younger. Next to him was his mother, who died the year after he died, in 1939. She was only 29 years old when she died. There was no father buried next to them, the only mention of him was on the child's headstone as initials. It made me wonder if the woman killed herself, if she died of a broken heart...I wondered how the baby died as well. Did the father die somewhere else, or leave them? it made me sad, and I didn't want to move on because I just felt overwhelmed and sad for them. But I finally did, and went up the hill (scaring a bunny! ) and saw a few statues of angels and one of Jesus and Mary standing on one of the headstones. Some of them even had pictures on them, and you could see what they looked like when they were alive.

I saw a few brand new ones covered in flowers and balloons too. As I got ready to leave, my aunt called me . I remember I was at a particular headstone of a WWI veteren and it rang. I was like, "Oh, pardon me sir". I'm sure if his spirit was there, he chuckled at my silliness.

I saw lots of animals there, besides the bunny. There were squirrels, hawks, crows, and...a duck. lol. She was a brown duck who flew over from the park, which is just across the street from the cemetary. There are usually deer up there too, but I didn't see any that day.

I eventually found my way out (took a while <_< ) and went home. It was overall a cool experience
    "If the stars should appear but one night every thousand years how man would marvel and stare." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Remember your spirituality" - Ganesha to a friend in a dream, 2008

I love hanging out in cemetaries. They are the only places I can truely think....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3