Thread: Best Way to Start?

Best Way to Start?

I have tried meditation before, but I was wondering if there was a good way to actually start it. Is there a good beginning exercise to try? Any help would be appreciated.

~Eiddwen~

When you start, make sure that you're in the mindset to meditate. I know when I first started meditating, I would want to, but my mind was way too busy. Doing something monotonous before you meditate might be a good idea, I know it helped me! I'd also recommend finding some music that you like, that helps relax your mind and body. I listen to The Psalms of Ra by Jim Berenholtz. Tribal drumming music also works wonders, too!
    The past is a ghost, the future is a dream, and all we ever have is now. -Bill Cosby

If you can, find a meditation group locally, non-affiliated with a particular religion if possible. I've found that very helpful in starting & keeping with meditation.

As for the type of exercise, different techniques work better as hooks for different people. The most common recommendation is simply to sit straight and be mindful of the breath, since this is a core practice of many. However, its better imo to try several methods & approaches until you find one that you get a lot out of and take to naturally.

meditation

Kundalini yoga is good for starting a meditation practice.

Also - don't expect to meditate for long periods of time right away. Try just doing it for 15 minutes at a time to start. Here's a cool meditation exercise. Close your eyes and focus your gaze on the tip of your nose. Now just concentrate on your breathing for few minutes to bring you into focus. Don't try to change your breathing, just try to stay with it.

herbal_legends Guest
    I meditate after Yoga.

Quote Originally Posted by herbal_legends View Post
    I meditate after Yoga.
    Yup I do the same. Have to relax the body before you can relax the mind, in most cases. Focusing on the breath is where I start every meditation, but I always have to remind myself not to have any expectations - because the moment I get anxious or excited, it's all over. If it helps, you could even focus on something you know relaxes you to think about, and don't let your mind stray too far from that idea.

What's the best book out there for meditation? I love getting into mind set before I start cause it's been awhile since I've meditated. Is there books that will help me since I'm a begginer. Info will be most appreciated.

Be Gentle With The Earth

Breathing exercises are good, as well as mantra recitations (you don't have to say them out loud, but chant them to yourself.)
    "If the stars should appear but one night every thousand years how man would marvel and stare." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Remember your spirituality" - Ganesha to a friend in a dream, 2008

It was recommended to me to do the 4/4 count. Breathe in for four, hold for four, out for four, hold for four. You get focused on the rhythm.