Thread: Crow magic?

Crow magic?

A couple years ago, i met a woman who can see people's energies and she said mine, in part, were like a black crow. She also said, in connection w/ this, something about "crow magic", like this was/is something i have or would relate to (i forget exactly what she said about it)...has anyone else heard about crow magic? if so, what is it?
    (I've kind of been on the lookout for crows since then, as a kind of personal symbol or something. I've looked up religious/mythological signifances of crows and ravens, for example, and taken note when i see crows in real life.)
    zionmystic.livejournal.com
    About my username: It's after a little wooded area i hang out in, near a church called Zion. Later i found out the word "Zionwood" may have political implications, but that wasn't my intent at all when i picked it.

Wow thats a very general question as all different cultures and beliefs have some crow input of many variations.

Google crow mythology and you can find tons of info covering all sorts of ideals and crows.

I'm a crow person, myself. What Shanti suggested is a good idea-google and see what catches your eye. Are there any particular pantheons or cultures that you are drawn to?
    Our Blog! The Intuitive Unschooler

Freaky Mama to Arlo, Donovan, and Iris! (Homeschooled since birth!)

as well as three cats, six cockatiels, and one parakeet.

The first thing you should do (to save yourself hours of goole searching) is look up crow in Ted Andrews' Animal Speak.

From my own experience, although crows are not my totem animal, Odin is the primary god I work with. Odin has two Ravens, Huginn (thought), and Muninn (mind), which he sends out each day all over the earth to gather information. This can be linked to shamanic practice. By the way, Ravens are one of the five species of crow.

Odin is also associated with the runes. Rune magic has a lot to do with the singing of the runes (called galdr, which means "to crow").

I would strongly recommend looking into the meanings of crows, and perhaps learn a little about shamanism and/or the runes.

On a more personal level, ever since I started working with Odin, I've noticed ravens everywhere I go. I consider it a form of validation. I don't mean that I take notice of the occassional raven that crosses my path. I mean that every time I leave my house, or come home, a raven "caws" at me from the tree in the front yard (it happens day and night, which is why I first noticed it.) I've had other people point out ravens doing odd behavior when I'm around. "Hey, look at that tree, it's full of ravens, but there isn't one on the ground or in the air anywhere near it..."

I kept this to myself, brushing it off as coincidence until my wife actually came right out and asked me if I had been working with ravens lately. I asked her why she wanted to know, and she said that she's noticed ravens everytime I'm around, and says she rarely sees any when I'm not. She said she could hear many ravens cawing when I left for work the one morning, but when she went out minutes later there weren't any. I told her I'd been working with Odin, and he uses ravens as messengers. She said "I think he heard you."

Just today, I got the call that my grandmother had been rushed to the emergency room. I rushed to the hospital (1hr away) and as I approached the town it is in my wife said "look at that! wow!" The roadside was literally lined with ravens for about a mile. By lined, I mean the ditches and trees were black with them on both sides of the road, but only for the first five or six feet on either side. There were no ravens in the fields to either side. This is one of the coolest animal related phenomena I've ever experienced, and the only reason I bring it up is so you can see just how cool crows and crow magic can be.
    "I put a capital N on nature and call it my church."

-Frank Lloyd Wright

Thanks for the answers, everybody. I have actually researched crows and ravens in mythology. btw, Adelphos, cool story!
    zionmystic.livejournal.com
    About my username: It's after a little wooded area i hang out in, near a church called Zion. Later i found out the word "Zionwood" may have political implications, but that wasn't my intent at all when i picked it.

I love crows!
    This probably stems from 1) feeding young crows microwaved scrambled egg that were in a wildlife refuge I volunteered at - one would NOT stop squawking and we named him ShutUp lolol... 2) a family of three crows (assuming male/female plus the juvenile) used the green outside my gradschool apartment as a field to teach the young one how to be a crow. I named the young one Boppy because he bopped around more than his 'parents'. He (tho I don't know what sex it was) was a curious little thing. He would tap this metal box that contained circuit breakers or something and it made a loud hollow metal sound. Then one day he found a crushed plastic party cup, picked it up in his beak, and paraded around with it. When Boppy was left in the field and his 'parents' went away, he would call out to them to find out where they went.

I freaking love crows....

anyway, British Gauls venerated crows. they placed them in the bottoms of pits, often with other things that were probably 'sacred'.
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...360.x/abstract
    (let me know if you want the pdf)

Attached images: Boppy (center) with family, Boppy learning to get food from the ground.

oh, and the crow is sacred to Apollo