Thread: Anglo - Saxon Futhorc Runes

Anglo - Saxon Futhorc Runes

Just curious if anyone on here uses and/or prefers the Anglo-Saxon Futhorc over the Elder or Younger Futhark? I've been using the Elder Futhark almost exclusively, but am toying with the idea of making and working with the Futhorc Runes.

Any opinions, advice, etc. would be appreciated.
    "I put a capital N on nature and call it my church."

-Frank Lloyd Wright

I'm in the same boat as you... I started with elder futhark, mostly because they have the most literature out there, so I knew about them first. I've started learning more about the Anglo-Saxon futhorc for the ancestral connection, but I'm finding difficult to find as much information about them.

You may want to check out RuneSecrets.net, as there may be someone on there who uses them and can give some experiences or advice, but as far as I can tell almost everyone there has experience with the common elder futhark.

There is a section on them in Bate's 'Anglo-Saxon Paganism' I think. There is a interesting article writen by Svartesol on Nicanthiel Hrafnhild's blog, here, if you don't mind UPG/VPG as food for thought. I'm still trying to find some good information on them myself.

I use Anglo-Saxon rune cards for divination. I also have a velvet bag of Elder Futhark stones. I don't think I could use them both for the same questions. The stones are used on a board and I have to write down my readings, which could take me a while. The cards take less time.
    The only thing that sucks around here is a straw.

I have a number of (hand made) sets of both Elder and Younger Futhark. I would use Anglo-Saxon, but simply haven't gotten around to learning all of the names/meanings yet. The way I feel is that --for the more eclectic practitioners at least-- it is best to have at least one set of each form. They each have a different sort of feel to them, IMO, and it would be optimal to use each as you feel they should be. I tend to associate them with colors: a gold-orange for AS, a grey-violet for Elder, and a dull green for Younger. Each of these has a different type of mood of itself to me. The orange is more "bookish" and makes me think of old tomes. It seems more appropriate for when you want a detailed, non-metaphorical answer. The violet makes me think of things that are lost, and is more primal than the other two. It feels ancient, and should be used for basic answers of metaphor and riddle. The green, to me, feels the most changed. It gives the feel of stone and simplicity, and should be used for answers which must be vague.

Just a quick update, I've made a set of AS futhorc runes out of Ash, and honestly, I "clicked" with them almost instantly. Even the runes I'd never used with the elder futhark just seemed to come naturally. If anyone is thinking about making their own set for any reason, I recomend it.
    "I put a capital N on nature and call it my church."

-Frank Lloyd Wright